Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jun 11, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #1,471 of 12,314
  The idea is interesting, but if we're talking what essentially appear to be ear buds, I think I'd prefer CIEMs. Naturally, I haven't heard them, so maybe I'm too quick to dismiss them.
Transportable would be ok for me. I would just want to be able to be able to change from the sofa to the table without having to stop playback, unplug, move, replug, restart playback. But from skimming a few reviews it appears these Koss ESP/950s are a tad on the warmer side? If so, they're probably not for me.

For portable use, I'll stick with in-ears, I think.

I can't even get normal IEMs to stay in my ears, so I'm with ya there.

I have heard similar things about the Koss. Seems to be a good value, but also doesn't seem to compete with STAX in terms of sound quality.

Jun 11, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #1,473 of 12,314
  If you're ready to pay for the 009, how about some CIEM's?

Are you suggesting I purchase CIEMs instead of the SR-009? Blasphemy!
eek.gif

I have no interest in IEMs until I get the ultimate headphone system.

Jun 11, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #1,474 of 12,314
On the subject of portable electrostatics, there's also the Koss ESP-950.... The E-90 amp can be run on battery power.

Too bad the headphones are a little large for portable use, and you've got that cable and full-size amp to lug around. Not exactly the most portable system. XD

I got the sense he was only moving them a few feet at a time. It's not exactly a headphone you'd bring on the subway.

Jun 11, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #1,476 of 12,314
  Yeah with the amount of people that sold their full size gear to only use the K10, it's probable.

I am somewhat curious about the JH Layla and Spiral Ear SE 5-way Ultimate...but I highly doubt they would be able to outperform the best full-size headphones. My plan will not falter. Now that I have narrowed down my choices to STAX, nothing will stop me! IEMs are just something to add on to my system (or use in other systems, like when traveling) later on down the line.

Jun 12, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #1,477 of 12,314

I can't even get normal IEMs to stay in my ears, so I'm with ya there.

I have heard similar things about the Koss. Seems to be a good value, but also doesn't seem to compete with STAX in terms of sound quality.

Most IEMs are not a problem for me, though I have had one (Brainwavz R1) that just wouldn't stay put in my ears. I suspect it's largely due to the shape of the eartips, though. With foam tips it would probably be easier to get a good fit.

I got the sense he was only moving them a few feet at a time. It's not exactly a headphone you'd bring on the subway.

For in and around the house was the use I was thinking of, yes.

I am somewhat curious about the JH Layla and Spiral Ear SE 5-way Ultimate...but I highly doubt they would be able to outperform the best full-size headphones. My plan will not falter. Now that I have narrowed down my choices to STAX, nothing will stop me! IEMs are just something to add on to my system (or use in other systems, like when traveling) later on down the line.

I think headphones would generally outperform IEMs for sound stage (open headphones, at least) and probably bass impact (headphones move a lot more air), but on everything else I think it's more or less a wash.

Given that bass impact is generally something I don't want to hear too much of (though I do like good bass extension), I'm thinking that I would probably be better off getting some (c)IEMs and I'll just have to deal with the lack of sound stage (anyway I prefer my speakers over the headphones I've heard so far, so I'd turn to them if I want the sound stage).

Jun 12, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #1,478 of 12,314
I'm against IEMs too. Mostly for health issues... However using open-back headphones in open environment is also hazardous (people tend to tune up the volume to drown the noise) and impolite. Especially when I was blasting Deicide. "What's wrong with your phone?", they asked.

Jun 12, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #1,479 of 12,314
I think headphones would generally outperform IEMs for sound stage (open headphones, at least) and probably bass impact (headphones move a lot more air), but on everything else I think it's more or less a wash.  
Given that bass impact is generally something I don't want to hear too much of (though I do like good bass extension), I'm thinking that I would probably be better off getting some (c)IEMs and I'll just have to deal with the lack of sound stage (anyway I prefer my speakers over the headphones I've heard so far, so I'd turn to them if I want the sound stage).

I heard some of the better IEMs have a holographic soundstage that does things even circumaural headphones can't do, and also that they do unique things in the bass. I dunno, though...I have next to no experience with IEMs. The description of this one is very intriguing.

I'm against IEMs too. Mostly for health issues... However using open-back headphones in open environment is also hazardous (people tend to tune up the volume to drown the noise) and impolite. Especially when I was blasting Deicide. "What's wrong with your phone?", they asked.

Oh man, I haven't heard Deicide in forever, though I listen to Vital Remains on occasion.

Jun 12, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #1,480 of 12,314
Hey guys. I've asked this question in hd800's thread too. I'm asking here to hear metalhead's views too.

I've been listening to hd800 and I'M not impressed. Their clarity wasn't that much noticble for me in comparison of z1000. I used shiit modi/vali as dac/amp. Is there any chance that my setup is the reason that I haven't enjoyed hd800?
I'm somehow an iem person which listen to rock/metal and really enjoy melodic and technical passages of progressive rock /metal.

Jun 12, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #1,482 of 12,314
Hey guys. I've asked this question in hd800's thread too. I'm asking here to hear metalhead's views too.

I've been listening to hd800 and I'M not impressed. Their clarity wasn't that much noticble for me in comparison of z1000. I used shiit modi/vali as dac/amp. Is there any chance that my setup is the reason that I haven't enjoyed hd800?
I'm somehow an iem person which listen to rock/metal and really enjoy melodic and technical passages of progressive rock /metal.

I can't stand the HD 800's bright, harsh treble. (And I heard it from the Simaudio MOON Neo 430HA and Sennheiser HDVD 800 amp/DAC units.)

Should sound a heck of a lot better if you tamed that with EQ. Try using a parametric equalizer and these guides:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial
http://www.head-fi.org/t/587703/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial-part-2
http://www.head-fi.org/t/615417/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-advanced-tutorial-in-progress

You could also pursue modifications like rug liner and so on. Just look it up.

Oh, and I hope you don't mean it wasn't bright enough when you said it lacked clarity...because it's the brightest headphone I have ever heard. lol

Jun 12, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #1,483 of 12,314

That setup is probably going to limit the headphone pretty severely.

Jun 13, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #1,485 of 12,314
Very much so. Also, it's a bright stack, not too good for the hd800

I listened to the HD 800 on an amp designed for it (Sennheiser HDVD 800) and the MOON Neo 430HA. The headphone is extremely bright and harsh in the first place.

Posted this elsewhere...

In stock form, the HD 800 is insulting to my intelligence. Makes most recordings sound like garbage -- but it's not the recordings, it's the headphones!!!

At least it's much better than the HD 700, and I do admit that beside the extreme treble emphasis, lack of mids, and weak bass, it does have better sound quality than most other headphones...but the frequency response is one of the worst I have ever heard. Listen to accurate speakers in a studio. Sounds the opposite of the HD 800. And accurate headphones are supposed to have the same perceived frequency response as an accurate speaker system in a treated room...

Although the HD 650 was too warm and smoothed over some detail, it sounded much more accurate than the HD 800 overall due to the more extreme FR problems in the latter. If I could modify the HD 800, use EQ, and perhaps even experiment with tube amps, I could probably get the HD 800 to sound accurate, or at least much more so.

It did sound excellent with some acoustic music, but that's the easiest thing for a headphone to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back