Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jun 14, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #1,501 of 12,322
Haha I'll try that with the HE1000 next time!

009 is a dream to listen to, I put on some Hans Zimmer and dang, I was floored. Didn't get a chance to listen with metal, but I'm sure it'll play it effortlessly. My dream amp for it would be the Blue Hawaii (which I got to try too). Phenomenal pairing, only $10k for the headphones and amp. Someday maybe... haha

Still looking around for a good headphone that can take hella speed. Currently rocking an HE400 for my "fast" headphone and it performs beautifully. I don't see myself spending over $2k anytime soon for a headphone, so I'm looking for something that has speed and details and bass in the $1-2k range. I thought the LCDX would be it, but I felt that it was still a bit too warm for what I'm looking for. I want to try the ether again and re-evaluate it ever since Warren said it was between an HD800 and LCDX.

Jun 14, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #1,502 of 12,322
Haha I'll try that with the HE1000 next time!

009 is a dream to listen to, I put on some Hans Zimmer and dang, I was floored. Didn't get a chance to listen with metal, but I'm sure it'll play it effortlessly. My dream amp for it would be the Blue Hawaii (which I got to try too). Phenomenal pairing, only $10k for the headphones and amp. Someday maybe... haha

Still looking around for a good headphone that can take hella speed. Currently rocking an HE400 for my "fast" headphone and it performs beautifully. I don't see myself spending over $2k anytime soon for a headphone, so I'm looking for something that has speed and details and bass in the $1-2k range. I thought the LCDX would be it, but I felt that it was still a bit too warm for what I'm looking for. I want to try the ether again and re-evaluate it ever since Warren said it was between an HD800 and LCDX.

HE-6 is another that likely falls into the spot you're after sonically (may well need an amp to go along with it, but would still be in your budget).

Jun 14, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #1,503 of 12,322
HE-6 is another that likely falls into the spot you're after sonically (may well need an amp to go along with it, but would still be in your budget).

Thanks bro! I actually just heard the EF6 HE6 combo a week ago at a friend's. Didn't get a chance to listen to metal (next time for sure!), but wow, it was amazing. Effortless, well controlled, tight bass and all around a great end game setup. Slam could be a little more, but in terms of bass extension and textures, it is almost perfect.

Jun 14, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #1,504 of 12,322
Thanks bro! I actually just heard the EF6 HE6 combo a week ago at a friend's. Didn't get a chance to listen to metal (next time for sure!), but wow, it was amazing. Effortless, well controlled, tight bass and all around a great end game setup. Slam could be a little more, but in terms of bass extension and textures, it is almost perfect.

Slam and dynamics are strengths of the HE-6! I've not heard the EF6, but most of the other HE-6 diehards have and actually don't rate it that highly for the HE-6, if it was truly slam that was missing to your ears then either you want a more inflated bass response as a matter of taste (nothing wrong with that, a matter of taste), or symptomatic of what others have found lacking with the pairing with that amp. Worth noting also that the blu-tack mod apparently helps in this area.

Jun 14, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #1,505 of 12,322
Slam and dynamics are strengths of the HE-6! I've not heard the EF6, but most of the other HE-6 diehards have and actually don't rate it that highly for the HE-6, if it was truly slam that was missing to your ears then either you want a more inflated bass response as a matter of taste (nothing wrong with that, a matter of taste), or symptomatic of what others have found lacking with the pairing with that amp. Worth noting also that the blu-tack mod apparently helps in this area.

Thanks for letting me know that there can be some more slam to it! How do you like your bass? What amp do you use for your HE6?

Jun 14, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #1,506 of 12,322

I should have used the EF6 when I auditioned the HE-6. It was right next to me. Only used it on the Simaudio MOON Neo 430HA, which I think has a lot more power anyway, but who knows how different it might have sounded.

Jun 14, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #1,507 of 12,322
Thanks for letting me know that there can be some more slam to it! How do you like your bass? What amp do you use for your HE6?

I am presently using the CMA800R in monoblock configuration. Probably the best I have heard them to date though would be on the speaker taps of the Luxman L507U 110w/channel integrated speaker amp. I like the sound with the Questyle, but it probably won't be my final resting place amps-wise for the HE-6.

For bass? I don't like a particularly elevated bass response, especially if the price of that is woolly/boomy bass that bleeds over the mids, tight/dynamic/impactful would be words that describe how I like bass.

Jun 14, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #1,508 of 12,322

I should have used the EF6 when I auditioned the HE-6. It was right next to me. Only used it on the Simaudio MOON Neo 430HA, which I think has a lot more power anyway, but who knows how different it might have sounded.

It would have been an interesting data point, for sure. The few times I have been in a position to audition a lot of gear I have always walked away wishing I had just done this or that thing a little differentl/listened on some other amp/swapped out the DAC etc etc.

Jun 14, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #1,509 of 12,322
  I am presently using the CMA800R in monoblock configuration. Probably the best I have heard them to date though would be on the speaker taps of the Luxman L507U 110w/channel integrated speaker amp. I like the sound with the Questyle, but it probably won't be my final resting place amps-wise for the HE-6.

For bass? I don't like a particularly elevated bass response, especially if the price of that is woolly/boomy bass that bleeds over the mids, tight/dynamic/impactful would be words that describe how I like bass.

Hey, what's your situation with the HE1000? I don't recall.

You probably saw my posts about it before. Although I "enjoyed" the HE1000 more than the HE-6, I will probably never buy the HE1000, but am considering perhaps buying the HE-6 at some point. The HE1000 was too warm and subdued for me, whereas the HE-6 (and Abyss) had no major problems.

Jun 14, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #1,510 of 12,322
Not easy at all to match HD800 technical capabilities with acoustic music, few dynamics come close, a couple of E-stat's beat them (007, 009), and still none of the planars AFAIK are ahead in all areas, and nothing can beat them in technical performance for the price.

Ear pain is a real issues which is why I modded mine almost straight away.  A less fatiguing DAC would help but I don't want to do that.

IMO nothing gets close with well recorded music, the sense of timing and dynamic shading and just giving so much insight into the music.  For me nothing else will do, I just need that level of detail and nuance.  OTOH if you don't enjoy listening with HD800 it is crazy to use them.  IIRC I was super happy with the HE6 for a long time (listening to metal) but began to be aware of the limitations especially when listening to classical music.  

Jun 14, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #1,511 of 12,322
  Not easy at all to match HD800 technical capabilities with acoustic music, few dynamics come close, a couple of E-stat's beat them (007, 009), and still none of the planars AFAIK are ahead in all areas, and nothing can beat them in technical performance for the price.

Ear pain is a real issues which is why I modded mine almost straight away.  A less fatiguing DAC would help but I don't want to do that.

IMO nothing gets close with well recorded music, the sense of timing and dynamic shading and just giving so much insight into the music.  For me nothing else will do, I just need that level of detail and nuance.  OTOH if you don't enjoy listening with HD800 it is crazy to use them.  IIRC I was super happy with the HE6 for a long time (listening to metal) but began to be aware of the limitations especially when listening to classical music.  

Although when I heard it, it was painfully bright in the upper frequencies with most music, I'm sure I would like it a lot with mods, EQ, different amps, etc. I may end up buying it eventually...but it's on the back burner for now, since I want to save up for the SR-009, then expand my collection from there.

Jun 14, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #1,512 of 12,322
How long before you get an 009?

Jun 14, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #1,513 of 12,322
  How long before you get an 009?

Hmm.
biggrin.gif

Depends how lazy I am over the next few months. Back in the day, I made up to over $3,000 in a single day, and up to nearly $8,000 in a month. (That wasn't consistently, though. On some days I lost hundreds of dollars instead of making profit.) But that was when I was foolish with finances and blew it on fancy stuff I didn't need. Really kicking myself for not being serious about quality audio equipment back then. My lifestyle has changed somewhat over the years. So basically...it could be anywhere from a few weeks to many months from now. At least all my living expenses are covered for a few months, so I have more leeway. But...I still owe over $5,000 in taxes, and have some debt on top of that, so maybe I should get some of that taken care of beforehand as well. Since I am planning on importing the SR-009 from Japan, then buying a STAX SRM-323S (which has been modified to work for US voltage) for a great price from someone I know, it shouldn't cost much more than $3,000 to start with. Then I can get a better DAC (I want the Yggdrasil) and go from there.

Jun 14, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #1,514 of 12,322

Hmm.
biggrin.gif

Depends how lazy I am over the next few months. Back in the day, I made up to over $3,000 in a single day, and up to nearly $8,000 in a month. (That wasn't consistently, though. On some days I lost hundreds of dollars instead of making profit.) But that was when I was foolish with finances and blew it on fancy stuff I didn't need. Really kicking myself for not being serious about quality audio equipment back then. My lifestyle has changed somewhat over the years. So basically...it could be anywhere from a few weeks to many months from now. At least all my living expenses are covered for a few months, so I have more leeway. But...I still owe over $5,000 in taxes, and have some debt on top of that, so maybe I should get some of that taken care of beforehand as well. Since I am planning on importing the SR-009 from Japan, then buying a STAX SRM-323S (which has been modified to work for US voltage) for a great price from someone I know, it shouldn't cost much more than $3,000 to start with. Then I can get a better DAC (I want the Yggdrasil) and go from there.

Ok.

Jun 14, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #1,515 of 12,322

By the way...I have an ever-expanding list of DIY T2 owners.
devil_face.gif

Did you say the DIY T2 sounded better to you in every way than the BHSE? I forget. Most agree that it sounds better, but I've heard varying opinions on whether the DIY T2 is more mellow or more engaging and so on. Since it costs so much, I would definitely want the additional bias thingie and jack to be compatible with the Sennheiser Orpheus HE 90 as well. Does yours have only STAX jacks? Also, is yours going to be black? hehe. I want to ultimately have an all-black system with a Darth Vader look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back