Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Oct 6, 2020 at 4:12 AM Post #9,977 of 12,284
Any low-impedance headphone suggestions? Something I can pair with something like Mojo on-the-go?

Nothing particularly useful to say in reply, but felt the need to point out that with your post we hit page 666.

Actually, that's not strictly true. I love my Final Audio Pandora Hope 6. I'm currently seeing if I can arrange an audition for the Denon D9200 too, which sounds promising and fits the bill here for low-impedance.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #9,978 of 12,284
Just found this thread and am a metal head at heart, Fates Warning, Maiden, Queensryche, Buckethead...you get the picture. I am definitely more of a progressive fan than a death metal fan. Gotta have top rate musicians and a good vocalist. Tight interplay between musicians and of course a good recording engineer.
Anyway I found IMHO a great headphone for metal fans on a budget in the Superlux HD672. I have two pairs, on one I use the recommended Shure HPAEC940 pads according to the pdf link on mods from the https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brand-superlux/hd672/ review.
On the other I use a Superlux velour pad both sound awesome especially the Shure pad pair but the other is no slouch.
One pair is powered by a Keces amp and DAC stack being fed from a NAD C542 old skool cd player and the other from a Loxjie P20\SMSL SU-8 being fed from my laptop or another C542 I have (I love this cd player).
Metal is reproduced with great crunch with guitar and drums sounded fantastic for the humble price. I paid 20 bucks for one pair and 24 for the other.
So if your a metal fan on a budget I think the 672 are worth a try, again this is MHO and YMMV but they worked out for me with my associated equipment and get quite a bit of my head-time.

Oct 6, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #9,980 of 12,284
Just found this thread and am a metal head at heart, Fates Warning, Maiden, Queensryche, Buckethead...you get the picture. I am definitely more of a progressive fan than a death metal fan. Gotta have top rate musicians and a good vocalist. Tight interplay between musicians and of course a good recording engineer.
Anyway I found IMHO a great headphone for metal fans on a budget in the Superlux HD672. I have two pairs, on one I use the recommended Shure HPAEC940 pads according to the pdf link on mods from the https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brand-superlux/hd672/ review.
On the other I use a Superlux velour pad both sound awesome especially the Shure pad pair but the other is no slouch.
One pair is powered by a Keces amp and DAC stack being fed from a NAD C542 old skool cd player and the other from a Loxjie P20\SMSL SU-8 being fed from my laptop or another C542 I have (I love this cd player).
Metal is reproduced with great crunch with guitar and drums sounded fantastic for the humble price. I paid 20 bucks for one pair and 24 for the other.
So if your a metal fan on a budget I think the 672 are worth a try, again this is MHO and YMMV but they worked out for me with my associated equipment and get quite a bit of my head-time.
Thanks, we sure need some budget recc in here. Can it handle busy fast tracks without sounding muddy? Is the instrument seperation good enuff for that?

Oct 6, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #9,981 of 12,284
Thanks, we sure need some budget recc in here. Can it handle busy fast tracks without sounding muddy? Is the instrument seperation good enuff for that?
I think so...I've listened to some Liquid Tension with them and haven't said wow they are falling apart. At times the treble can be slightly aggressive but that has a lot to do with program material. If a recording has some ragged ass treble in it it's tough to fix. The velour pads do add a layer of foam between your ear and the driver.
I only switched pads and did not do the other mods because I like the way they sound so much already. I am going to be 54 so my high frequency hearing may be a little lower than back in the day but can say I don't have any big issues with the treble (or speed) of this can. I've always said a clean well recorded song and good equipment go a long way toward the listening experience.
I'll listen to something with some complex speed tonight and verify. :L3000:

Oct 6, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #9,982 of 12,284
I think so...I've listened to some Liquid Tension with them and haven't said wow they are falling apart. At times the treble can be slightly aggressive but that has a lot to do with program material. If a recording has some ragged ass treble in it it's tough to fix. The velour pads do add a layer of foam between your ear and the driver.
I only switched pads and did not do the other mods because I like the way they sound so much already. I am going to be 54 so my high frequency hearing may be a little lower than back in the day but can say I don't have any big issues with the treble (or speed) of this can. I've always said a clean well recorded song and good equipment go a long way toward the listening experience.
I'll listen to something with some complex speed tonight and verify. :L3000:
Thankyou, I completely agree a well recorded track + good equipment changes everything. Lately rather than focusing much on upgrades I am focusing on finding the best produced albums and that had made all the difference.
That said, if anyone here wish to suggest some metal/hard rock albums with excellent production quality, I'll be more than happy. Will buy you a beer if you come to Alaska 🙂

Oct 6, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #9,983 of 12,284
Anyone have any opinions of Ultrasone? Specifically the Signature series? Don't hear too much about them. Are they any good?
I love my Final Audio Pandora Hope 6. I'm currently seeing if I can arrange an audition for the Denon D9200 too, which sounds promising and fits the bill here for low-impedance.
I tried out the Signature Pro some years ago. It was fine. I considered getting it but something didn’t sit right. On the next day I went to another store and tried out the Pandora Hope VI. Which still retailed for 800€ back then as it was close to launch. Let’s just say the Ultrasone didn’t stand a chance - even less so when the store passed on Final’s price cut to 640€. The dynamics, engagement, the drive, the expressiveness are in another league.

Sadly @NZtechfreak I found the same when I tried out the D9200, which sounds better than the Ultrasone, good actually, and well balanced, but boring next to the Pandora Hope, and not even better on technicalities in spite of the price gap.
It was a short listen though, curious to hear your thoughts if you can arrange a tryout.

Oct 6, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #9,984 of 12,284
Nothing particularly useful to say in reply, but felt the need to point out that with your post we hit page 666.
That's a great honor. :imp:

Actually, that's not strictly true. I love my Final Audio Pandora Hope 6. I'm currently seeing if I can arrange an audition for the Denon D9200 too, which sounds promising and fits the bill here for low-impedance.
Please let us know about your impressions on D9200.

Oct 6, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #9,985 of 12,284
"Woe to you, oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short...
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is Six hundred and sixty six"

Oct 6, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #9,986 of 12,284
You guys know he gets the smack knocked out of him in the end right...

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #9,987 of 12,284
OK listened to some Dream Theater ~ Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence and the HD672 kept up no problems.
Also played some Liquid Tension 2 and they still could hang without any issue's I heard, now when I switched to my DT990 600ohm Premium Black Edition there was an improvement but I still enjoy the 672. The highs on the 672 are not as refined as the 990 and there is a bit of a sizzle to the 672 but if I don't listen back to back I'm good!
Also the Beyers are like 200+ and the Superlux is 20 bucks!!!

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #9,988 of 12,284
OK so the HD672 does do well with metal, I got to Track 6 Chewbacca on LTE2 and it was so freakin' satisfying. Bass is right there and the guitar and drum work is so so good. Levin & Portnoy are great together. What a great track!! Go listen to it now!

Oct 6, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #9,989 of 12,284
Was so cool he didnt need devil BS to become God!

2984848-lemmy1.jpg

Oct 7, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #9,990 of 12,284
Let's see if I can push this thread to the neighbors :)

1602053510296.png

Edit: not quite there yet ... :beyersmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back