Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Sep 13, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #9,961 of 12,284
I am tempted to go for E30+L30 now. Seems like lotta metalheads here prefer them.

Sep 16, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #9,963 of 12,284
Hi guys! I need a help from metalheads like me. I mostly listen to prog metal, thrash and death (Opeth, Haken, caligula's.... But also Metallica, Pantera, Trivium... Just to name the most known). I recently bought the new Ifi Hip Dac and now I want a good pair of headphones to use all its power. I was thinking about the HD6XX or HD58X Jubilee because they are available on Drop. The alternative are the Meze 99 (neo possibly) and Hifiman Sundara.

I'm worried about some things:
1 - Warranty from Drop because I live in Italy (Meze and Hifiman could be better because I would purchase them inside EU);
2 - Sound leakage: I have a small baby, 10 months yo, and I mostly listen to music in the night, and my wife would kill me if I wake up her (but I could use the open back headphones in other occasions);
3 - I never listened to any of them and I don't know if they are good for the genres I listen to, and which one to buy. I have ~300€ budget and I'm gonna use the headphones with balance cable because Hip Dac has a powerful 4.4mm output.

Many thanks foe help!!

Sep 16, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #9,964 of 12,284
Hi guys! I need a help from metalheads like me. I mostly listen to prog metal, thrash and death (Opeth, Haken, caligula's.... But also Metallica, Pantera, Trivium... Just to name the most known). I recently bought the new Ifi Hip Dac and now I want a good pair of headphones to use all its power. I was thinking about the HD6XX or HD58X Jubilee because they are available on Drop. The alternative are the Meze 99 (neo possibly) and Hifiman Sundara.

1 - Warranty from Drop because I live in Italy (Meze and Hifiman could be better because I would purchase them inside EU);
2 - Sound leakage: I have a small baby, 10 months yo, and I mostly listen to music in the night, and my wife would kill me if I wake up her (but I could use the open back headphones in other occasions);
3 - I never listened to any of them and I don't know if they are good for the genres I listen to, and which one to buy. I have ~300€ budget and I'm gonna use the headphones with balance cable because Hip Dac has a powerful 4.4mm output.

Many thanks foe help!!
I have a friend who is big time into Tool, Opeth, Haken...he is really happy with his Sundara. Even I plan to get one in the future. Between 6xx and Sundara, I believe Sundara has the upper hand for metal. Please keep in mind, I have not tried both so more experienced audiophile metalheads here can suggest you what's the best choice.

Sep 16, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #9,965 of 12,284

Many thanks foe help!!
Sounds like you need a closed back, in which case the meze would be a good option.

Sep 16, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #9,966 of 12,284
Hi!
According to the chart the best mid-level headphones for heavy / power metal are Sennheiser HD 600 and AKG K712 PRO. But these are open back headphones and I don't want to disturb my family with my music.
Which closed back headphones would you recommend in such case and how badly do they need amplifier?
Thank you :)

• Budget is $200-500
  • Playing from PC audio card (Asus Z270E) which says "With two op-amps onboard you're able to pump exceptional audio to your favorite cans, with 32-600Ω-headphone impedance for great flexibility."
  • I will use them at home only for music and occasionally games, but don't want to distract my wife sitting next to me
  • I currently use Corsair Void Pro

Sep 16, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #9,967 of 12,284
Hi!
According to the chart the best mid-level headphones for heavy / power metal are Sennheiser HD 600 and AKG K712 PRO. But these are open back headphones and I don't want to disturb my family with my music.
Which closed back headphones would you recommend in such case and how badly do they need amplifier?

• Budget is $200-500
  • Playing from PC audio card (Asus Z270E) which says "With two op-amps onboard you're able to pump exceptional audio to your favorite cans, with 32-600Ω-headphone impedance for great flexibility."
  • I will use them at home only for music and occasionally games, but don't want to distract my wife sitting next to me
See the previous posts. I think the answer could be the Meze 99 Classics for you as well. :) They are very easy to drive, no need for an amp.

Sep 16, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #9,968 of 12,284
Meze 99 are in my top 3 and maybe the best choice since a closed back let me listen to music in the middle of the night without worries about volume. But, I don’t like the aesthetic of the Classic version... I’d rather spend quite the same amount of money to get the Neo plus 4.4mm Meze balanced cable (that costs 129€!).
Does the 99 Neo sound different from the Classic?

Sep 16, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #9,969 of 12,284
I have not heard the Neo but there are comparisons in the meze 99 classics thread and elsewhere on the web.

Sep 24, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #9,971 of 12,284
Listening Hifiman Susvara now and still like my Abyss 1266 more.
Ordered Abyss 1266 Phi TC :L3000: Yeah Susvara is a very laid back headphone more suited for Jazz.
But my RAD-0, Stellia and SR007MK2 bass port mod driven by KGSSHv Carbon are all awesome for Metal!

Hope they fixed the mid problems (very recessed) I had with the 1266 OG.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #9,972 of 12,284
Hi!

• Budget is $200-500
I recommend you to try the Beyer DT 150. I love them for metal, maybe not the best in resolution, but is a very enjoyable HP, and have a big soundstage being a closed can.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back