Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Oct 8, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #9,991 of 12,302
Hi, I am interested in purchasing a closed headphone and my candidates are Kennerton Magni or Gjallarhorn, Mrspeakers Ether C, Audioquest nightowl and Fostex th900. I don't have much experience with over head headphones, I have mostly iems and the one I like the most is Jh audio Roxanne performance series combined with Acoustic research ar-m2 dap. As a source I will use Acoustic research ar-m2, ibasso DX200 and Calyx m. I like mostly death metal, technical death metal, thrash. I would love to hear some opinions. Thank you for your feedback

Oct 10, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #9,992 of 12,302
Hi, I am interested in purchasing a closed headphone and my candidates are Kennerton Magni or Gjallarhorn, Mrspeakers Ether C, Audioquest nightowl and Fostex th900. I don't have much experience with over head headphones, I have mostly iems and the one I like the most is Jh audio Roxanne performance series combined with Acoustic research ar-m2 dap. As a source I will use Acoustic research ar-m2, ibasso DX200 and Calyx m. I like mostly death metal, technical death metal, thrash. I would love to hear some opinions. Thank you for your feedback

I'm enjoying an Aeon 2 Closed with the lightest/thinnest black foam insert my self atm the moment.

Ether CX is imo a bit better than traditional C, C had some peaks I wasn't a fan of but CX with NO foam insert is quite nice too, tho sometimes I like Aeon 2 C's slight bass emphasis

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #9,993 of 12,302

Any particular reason you don't have ZMF Atticus on your list?

Oct 10, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #9,994 of 12,302

Personally I wasn't a fan of Atticus with metal, it didn't always have a fast enough response of presentation to keep up with really complex riffs imo. Hard Rock was nice but technical stuff like Math Core and some of the more complex progressive genres were a little lack luster on Atticus I thought

ZMF Eikon would be a nice can, I had it for some time and I enjoyed it with Metal! Getting a harder wood would help Eikon keep up too,

Oct 11, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #9,995 of 12,302
Personally I wasn't a fan of Atticus with metal, it didn't always have a fast enough response of presentation to keep up with really complex riffs imo. Hard Rock was nice but technical stuff like Math Core and some of the more complex progressive genres were a little lack luster on Atticus I thought

ZMF Eikon would be a nice can, I had it for some time and I enjoyed it with Metal! Getting a harder wood would help Eikon keep up too,
I'm listening to the Atticus right now and I agree. Depending on the song it ranges from amazing to mediocre. If you like a smooth laid-back presentation with good bass and impact then its a good choice. However, it does lack in technicalities in comparison to the competition. For example, it has a similar bass quantity to the Fostex TH-900 but the TH-900 beats it with regards to speed, transients, clarity, overall resolution, detail, soundstage etc.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2020 at 6:47 AM Post #9,996 of 12,302
I would definitely recommend the Sennheiser 880S which can handle all types of music. Slayer's Ghosts of War and Megadeth's Hangar 18 were among my reference songs when I was buying. Focal Clear on the other hand is at the same price range and it rather disappointed me.

Many say a closed-end is more suitable for metal music and they have a point but I'd say en open-end can is better for your ears because it offers a better experience so you need not turn on the volume a lot and avoid or postpone tinnitus.

Oct 11, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #9,997 of 12,302
From what I know Atticus is not a fully closed headphone and I need a closed headphone that doesn't leak too much sound.

Oct 11, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #9,998 of 12,302
@levap

Can you update the list with Kennerton Gjallarhorn? I can tell you for a fact that Gjallarhorn is God tier +++++ for Black Metal. Bands like Limbonic Art, Dimmu Borgir, Satyricon's Dark Medieval Times, etc. The horn design enhances the castle/chamber/dungeon/windy soundscape and just makes the drums and guitar sound so militant and evil.

Oct 11, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #9,999 of 12,302
From what I know Atticus is not a fully closed headphone and I need a closed headphone that doesn't leak too much sound.

I get that, Ether CX and Aeon 2 are still my go to's for metal on a closed back!

CX like HD800 had excellent speed and clarity, Sadly tho the HD820 is a mess

Oct 13, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #10,000 of 12,302
I’ve bought a used rossen rad 0. I’m hoping they sound great for black metal with my hugo2!

Oct 13, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #10,002 of 12,302
Oct 13, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #10,003 of 12,302
You need some bright source. I tried rad-0 with Milo and it was way to dark... Even for darker genres :wink: Hugo2 should be the good one.

Oct 14, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #10,005 of 12,302

Users who are viewing this thread

Back