Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Aug 21, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #9,931 of 12,284
Recently I had a guest - Rosson Audio Design RAD-0, so couple of word about them on metal.

Headphones do not hurry anywhere, even non-fazor LCD-3 look more hasty. The only close analog in this regard that comes to mind - of course LCD-4, colleagues with RAD-0 in terms of "speed". Highs - comfortable, but the feeling of some loss of details does not occur. Mids - on the one hand, is not some kind of supereffective, as in electrostats or say Abyss. But the voice sounds frighteningly realistic. The middle is not “better than the real one”, but “the real one”. Bass - the hallmark of headphones; volume above the average, powerful when necessary, enveloping and flowing, creating the effect of low speed and setting the overall style of the cans. The soundstage width is not a stadium, but perhaps typical size for open headphones. At the same time, soundstage depth in enormous. Musical instruments separation level – on the top of the top (which also removes the last doubts about the possible concealment of details). The last moment combined with the naturalness of the mids sometimes give a frightening effect of presence.

Amp power hunger - it seems that the cans are really tough in this relation, I am not sure that my balanced Beta 22 have enough juice for them. And here is a paradox - unlike LCD, in under-amped state (listening on SE jack), they have even more atmosphere and character. Even more slow, more "dark" and sadder. However, the main part of the listening will be spent in balance, assuming that the author still intended them to be well-amped. But anyway, if we want to get a more universal configuration for faster genres - we listen in balanced mode, if we want to get the most fun version with the clearest manifestation of the sound signature of headphones - we switch to SE.

On metal, everything is not bad really. Let's focus on the most positive subgenre notes.

Black - Perhaps RAD-0 the new kings of black. The primary malice and darkness, espeacially on raw sounding tracks - just an outstanding impression. That's their niche. Yes, and on a relatively more technical-focused records, for example, Anaal Nathrakh - the atmosphere is so outweighed that the result feed is considered as a feature, and not a bug.

Doom - Another point of absolute power on metal. The fattest, slowest, most powerful dish (with the effect amplified when listening to the SE jack and not by balance). Synergistic resonances twist your hands, preventing attempts to switch tracks.

Goth - Melancholy, darkness and spleen. The depressing mood evoked by the enveloping sound canvas is. What is needed for the genre, in a word.
I heard the RAD-0 at a Head-Fi meet and loved them for metal.

Aug 22, 2020 at 4:34 AM Post #9,932 of 12,284
I'd sure like to try one. RAD-0 and Final D8000 Pro are top of the list of headphones I am curious about. Especially the D8000 Pro.

Aug 22, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #9,933 of 12,284
I'd sure like to try one. RAD-0 and Final D8000 Pro are top of the list of headphones I am curious about. Especially the D8000 Pro.
Damn these are expensive!!! Any budget recommendations for a budget friendly headphones for listening to mostly death metal ? Thanks

Aug 22, 2020 at 6:20 AM Post #9,934 of 12,284
Damn these are expensive!!! Any budget recommendations for a budget friendly headphones for listening to mostly death metal ? Thanks
They sure are. I went pretty much straight to the high end when I got into this hobby. The only more affordable headphones I owned are the meze 99 classics. Many like them for metal. I found them too boomy. So, in short, I cannot really recommend more affordable headphones from personal experience, I'm afraid. You mentioned the Sundara yourself, that certainly looks interesting, I have seen positive reviews. Don't know about the match with metal though.

Aug 22, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #9,935 of 12,284

If you can get a used HE560 for less than a Sundara, it's still a great deal. It does need some power, however. I just picked one up again. The He560's brightness can be mitigated with a warmer amp. I used to run it through a Cavalli Liquid Carbon and it was great. Something brighter like the Jotunheim (earlier model) would be too bright. It's not elite for impact and slam, but you need to spend quite a bit more to get that.

I was originally going to get a Sundara but it's not a direct upgrade to the He560, so I went with the better deal.

Aug 24, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #9,936 of 12,284
From what I gather, the RAD-0 are very forgiving on poor recordings (early BM) and are pretty user friendly in terms of peripheral equipment (easy to drive). I just know I won't enjoy the bass extension and punch as much as the Abyss, LCD4, and D8000 (original non-pro version). Audiophile Heaven has a good review on the RAD-0 for extreme metal but his sound taste is so much different from mine. He describes the bass as being liquid, that already sounds unappealing to me. The RAD is probably the most popular headphone right now on Instagram from the tags I'm seeing but that's likely purely due to aesthetics.

Part of me just wants to get the Abyss and be done with it but the comfort factor and near zero isolation (I believe) are a bit intimidating. Still, if it's truly endgame material and closest to a proper floorstanding loudspeaker setup then I might as well dish out the cash instead of bothering with the other ones on my list? I've never owned a pair of open-air headphones except the HD598 and HE400i (LOL), so maybe I should start with the RAD-0. I'm also considering getting the ZMF Verite Closed to replace my TH900. Do you guys find any value in closed backs if you own a high end pair of IEMs + open backs?

As for IEMs, the FiiO FH7 have definitely grown on me over the last 30 days but I ended up returning them yesterday. Currently just have the AS T800 for IEMs and Fostex TH900 original, so I ordered the Unique Melody MEST (had to settle for the non JP version) which was on my immediate list to try, I'll let you guys know how it compares to the FH7 and Audiosense T800. Also looking to try the 64a Nio, EA Odin, and Sony IER-Z1R in the near future.

Aug 24, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #9,937 of 12,284
I have open backs in my office, where I don't bother anyone with the noise, closed backs for downstairs around the family, iems for on the road. But I happen to love headphones... :) You could do it all with a good set of closed backs, like the verite indeed.

Aug 24, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #9,938 of 12,284
'm also considering getting the ZMF Verite Closed to replace my TH900. Do you guys find any value in closed backs if you own a high end pair of IEMs + open backs?
I have both open and closed Verite. I much prefer the closed for metal as its much more dynamic and the mids are more immediate,fantastic texture...
My wife didnt believe me when I told her that the VC was the last headphone I was getting,but nearly one year later I still have zero interest in another headphone.

Im heavily invested in tubes and a Glenn OTL amp so im not really equipped for the Rad-0 or the Abyss's of the world but im incredibly happy with the sound im getting from my current set-up.

IMHO VC is game over for not just metal,but all other genres I listen to as well.

Aug 24, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #9,939 of 12,284
Part of me just wants to get the Abyss and be done with it but the comfort factor and near zero isolation (I believe) are a bit intimidating. Still, if it's truly endgame material and closest to a proper floorstanding loudspeaker setup then I might as well dish out the cash instead of bothering with the other ones on my list? I've never owned a pair of open-air headphones except the HD598 and HE400i (LOL), so maybe I should start with the RAD-0. I'm also considering getting the ZMF Verite Closed to replace my TH900. Do you guys find any value in closed backs if you own a high end pair of IEMs + open backs?

Open back headphones do require a silent environment indeed, in my experience. Even airconditioning can be annoying. But I have no issues with the comfort of the Abyss. I did a modification, but I might revert to the standard style once the new headbands are available - they look much more comfortable than the old ones. One thing to bear in mind though is the need for a powerful amplifier. And you'll want a good dac to match the quality of the rest of the chain. Etc etc etc :) :gs1000smile:

Aug 25, 2020 at 5:32 AM Post #9,940 of 12,284
Abyss are much more comfortable than the look. I'm able to listen to the music for few hours. I didn't found it possible with RAD-0. There is significant pressure to the ears and 1 hour listening was max for me. I also found them very dark. In my opinion you have to pair them them with bright DAC/AMP. They sound fantastic in rock (never heard Dire Straits presented like this) but not necessarily in metal. It was nice with some Slayer's songs (angel of Death) but couldn't listen to Iron Maiden.

Aug 25, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #9,941 of 12,284
I have both open and closed Verite. I much prefer the closed for metal as its much more dynamic and the mids are more immediate,fantastic texture...
My wife didnt believe me when I told her that the VC was the last headphone I was getting,but nearly one year later I still have zero interest in another headphone.

Im heavily invested in tubes and a Glenn OTL amp so im not really equipped for the Rad-0 or the Abyss's of the world but im incredibly happy with the sound im getting from my current set-up.

IMHO VC is game over for not just metal,but all other genres I listen to as well.
Agree 100% - ZMF VC are amazing for hard rock / metal and I've not looked at other HPs since I got my pair. In a few years time Zach will no doubt improve on it and then...

Aug 27, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #9,942 of 12,284
Do you guys think some budget on-ear like: Akg k414p; SennsPX series; Koss budgets; JVC Flats or Edifier H series are great for rock in general? — not just for metal, but some punk and alternative too.

I'm really struggling to pick up one. If you guys have one of them just describe If they are good or not.
Must say I'm tending to take the k414, just for being one of the cheapest.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back