Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Sep 29, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #2,491 of 12,322

Spend some time in the Sound Science section of this site. It's easy to make an amp that sounds the same from the single-ended and balanced outputs.

I think there is a fair amount of truth to this, although every piece of gear I have had with both sounds best balanced. That may be somewhat to do with the HE6 being my main headphone, given the doubled power output in balanced.

Sep 29, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #2,493 of 12,322

I think there is a fair amount of truth to this, although every piece of gear I have had with both sounds best balanced. That may be somewhat to do with the HE6 being my main headphone, given the doubled power output in balanced.

I would venture to say that most balanced amps sound better than their single-ended sections, but that isn't because they inherently have to. There's a lot of science involved, but that's a topic for the Sound Science section.

I think he means to say that if an amp offers both SE and balanced hp outputs, the SE implementation should sound equal if the design has that it in mind from start to finish. Typically a lot of them sound better balanced as they outperform the SE output due to the design intending for balanced use, but the manufacturers can throw in SE for the heck of it as kind of an "after thought".

Example: the balanced version of my V100 is the V181 and without a doubt my V100's SE output is better implemented than the V181's SE. My V100 makes no compromises when it comes to it's SE hp out. The V181 is really intended for fully balanced use. If you aren't going to use it that way, it won't perform at it's best.

Yeah, the Schiit Ragnarok is another example where they put a lot of effort into the balanced side of things.

Sep 29, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #2,494 of 12,322

I don't get what you mean here by "All things being equal" ... Topologically, they're very different, and the differences are pretty audible, in my experience. Quick checklist of balanced advantages: four amps driving the signal instead of two, 2X the voltage swing, 2x the slew rate, more accurate square wave response, more overall power output, more powerful bass, bigger soundstage. Is it possible for a single ended amp to sound better? Sure. But all things would not be equal in that case. You'd have to compensate in a lot of areas to make up for the advantages balanced amps offer.

Spend some time in the Sound Science section of this site. It's easy to make an amp that sounds the same from the single-ended and balanced outputs.

The "Sound Science" section is for comedy only.

Sep 29, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #2,497 of 12,322

I don't get what you mean here by "All things being equal" ... Topologically, they're very different, and the differences are pretty audible, in my experience. Quick checklist of balanced advantages: four amps driving the signal instead of two, 2X the voltage swing, 2x the slew rate, more accurate square wave response, more overall power output, more powerful bass, bigger soundstage. Is it possible for a single ended amp to sound better? Sure. But all things would not be equal in that case. You'd have to compensate in a lot of areas to make up for the advantages balanced amps offer.

My Geek Pulse is dual mono balanced all the way up to the output, which is single ended. That's what he meant I guess.

Yep, and guess who gets to try it this weekend? 
atsmile.gif
 RMAF FTW!

I'm happy to know that someone who I trust his opinion will be able to hear it and report. 

Usually it's either fanboys or entitled kids from /r/headphones.

Sep 29, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #2,499 of 12,322

Yep, and guess who gets to try it this weekend? 
atsmile.gif
 RMAF FTW!

I'm happy to know that someone who I trust his opinion will be able to hear it and report. 

Usually it's either fanboys or entitled kids from /r/headphones.

Thanks. I'll try not to let ya down!

Sep 29, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #2,501 of 12,322
Sep 29, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #2,503 of 12,322
Sep 29, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #2,504 of 12,322

Users who are viewing this thread

Back