Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Sep 25, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #2,461 of 12,306

I certainly got lucky, but as I've mentioned before, I liked the SR-207 a lot more than all non-electrostats regardless of price. That includes the AB-1266, HE1000, HE6, and HD 800. So this type of thing is very subjective. For me, nothing else I've heard comes close to having as much value or sounding as good. I have no problem with others preferring other headphones, of course. But you and I both know that used electrostatic systems are all over the place. I saw an SR-207 for sale here for just $250 the other day.

Hm, aside from the aforementioned issues we've discussed, I'm not quite sure what you mean about the tone...because it's the most realistic tone I've ever heard. 'Stats are the only headphones I've heard that sound like real instruments.

I've heard enough real life instruments (playing in orchestra, cover, punk and metal bands) to disagree with you entirely. The Stax aren't really good with prog, heavy and power I find.

Sep 25, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #2,462 of 12,306
  I've heard enough real life instruments (playing in orchestra, cover, punk and metal bands) to disagree with you entirely. The Stax aren't really good with prog, heavy and power I find.

Okay, but I've played in orchestras, jazz bands, metal bands, etc. too and never heard convincingly realistic sound in headphones until I heard electrostats. I guess in the end even realism is subjective. I'm gonna assume the SR-009 sounds a lot more realistic than the SR-207, anyway.

Sep 25, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #2,463 of 12,306

Okay, but I've played in orchestras, jazz bands, metal bands, etc. too and never heard convincingly realistic sound in headphones until I heard electrostats. I guess in the end even realism is subjective. I'm gonna assume the SR-009 sounds a lot more realistic than the SR-207, anyway.

Well on the Stax I tried they all lacked the bottom end of guitars and fundamentals of brass instruments and violins.

That's not what I would call realistic. Everything else on the spectrum was perfect though.

Sep 25, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #2,464 of 12,306

The SR-Lambda (Standard bias) is awesome for prog metal. Fantastic clarity and bit weightier (and more fun) than the 207's. IMO, YMMV, etc.

Sep 25, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #2,465 of 12,306
  Well on the Stax I tried they all lacked the bottom end of guitars and fundamentals of brass instruments and violins.

That's not what I would call realistic. Everything else on the spectrum was perfect though.

Hmm, I didn't notice those areas lacking on the SR-207 + SRM-212. I don't recall which amp(s) you used with it. Anyway, I do agree that HIFIMAN make awesome headphones. You probably remember that I've owned the HE400i and auditioned the HE6 and HE1000, but never heard the HE500.

Sep 25, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #2,466 of 12,306
Based on your earlier input, I don't think you'd like that one very much anyway. It's a good headphone, but it may have a bit too much thickness and congestion for you, based on your comments about the AKGs.

I should have read the earlier post. I guess part of the reason I like the HP50 is because its sound signature is similar to my K7XX.

Sep 26, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #2,467 of 12,306
Spent today doing a few mods to my HE-6 what i did ,

Blutack mod
Vegan pads with felt mod
Removed grills

Just when i thought i could not get any better the 6s have gone up another level for me i truly have not heard metal sound so good .

Sep 26, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #2,468 of 12,306

Hmm, I didn't notice those areas lacking on the SR-207 + SRM-212. I don't recall which amp(s) you used with it. Anyway, I do agree that HIFIMAN make awesome headphones. You probably remember that I've owned the HE400i and auditioned the HE6 and HE1000, but never heard the HE500.

I guess we'll have to admit we perceive things differently and have different preferences :p.

Sep 27, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #2,469 of 12,306
  I guess we'll have to admit we perceive things differently and have different preferences :p.

Monster trucks versus fighter jets—I choose the latter.
tongue.gif

Sep 29, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #2,472 of 12,306
  I picked this up. No complaints for what it does right and costs. It's everything I remember enjoying about the DT990/600 while being even better than the last time I experienced it. I doubt it's new toy syndrome. I'd have buyer's remorse already if it wasn't what I was expecting or more.
I'm not sure if it's the difference between my old DT990/600's driver vs. the one I just bought, it's recable or a combination of the two   I'm experiencing absolutely no listeners fatigue. Actually I run my dac -> amp in balanced now as well; maybe that helps a little too. The treble seems much less offensive even compared to how much better the experience was on the Mini-i Pro + HPA V100 in SE usage compared to my old schiit stacks that underamped it.
My next purchase is definitely going to be a TH900 (hopefully already balanced).

I like the look of the DT 990 a lot more than the DT 880.

Did you see my list of metalcore bands to check out in the other thread?

And is that new avatar a photo of you? How bold! I don't plan on ever revealing my identity on this site.

Sep 29, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #2,474 of 12,306

I like the look of the DT 990 a lot more than the DT 880.

Did you see my list of metalcore bands to check out in the other thread?

And is that new avatar a photo of you? How bold! I don't plan on ever revealing my identity on this site.

Why would someone kowing your identity be a problem? It's not like we're talking about anything illegal.

Sep 29, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #2,475 of 12,306

Well, I have no problems to show my real face on avatar ))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back