Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Sep 29, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #2,477 of 12,302
Sep 29, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #2,478 of 12,302

He just doesn't want us to recognize him while he's doing his day job:

LOL I would love a day job like that, if it paid enough to feed me. 

Sep 29, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #2,480 of 12,302
  Why would someone kowing your identity be a problem? It's not like we're talking about anything illegal.

I have...enemies. I don't even go to meets. Plus I want to be rich but not famous in the future. It's complicated.

Well, I have no problems to show my real face on avatar ))

Ha!

When Music Alchemist is secretly Tyll Hertsens

LMAO. I'm actually only 28.

He just doesn't want us to recognize him while he's doing his day job:

Oh, you. We all know that I'm an Internet marketer.
cool.gif

(I guess you qualify as one too, though I'm self-employed and, if I recall, you work for an ad agency.)

I'm already such an open person that seeing my face is nothing. Also, a lot of my friends call me socks both online and in person. Being addressed by my birth name is what throws me off. Lol. I've used the same nickname since 2004 (mk2 withheld).

I mentioned picking up a TH900 would be my next headphone last night; I seen that TH900 Mk2 post after the fact and edited it in. What a dilemma. I'm sure nothing will bother me with the TH900 aside from the hinge screw issue. Even with potentially replacing them a few times it'll cost less than whatever the TH900 Mk2 debuts at.

Do I grab a balanced amp before hand? That'll give me time to see how releases pan out. Decisions. For today I'm all good using the SE of my HPA V100. 8D

Wait, what? There's gonna be a new TH900? Link me!

All things being equal, there is no audible difference between SE and balanced. It's just that some amps have balanced topology that is designed better and thus sounds better than the single-ended section. So it depends on your equipment.

Sep 29, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #2,481 of 12,302
Wait, what? There's gonna be a new TH900? Link me!

There has been some posts on the TH900 thread, no confirmation though, I think it was just a twitter post from some show. Could just be some sort of special edition, hard to tell. In any case, apparently the TH900 was 2000+ when it debuted, so even if there is an mk2 it's probably gonna be very highly priced. I still have my eyes on the TH900, no money right now, and can't justify having two TOTLs. May be a demo will convince me, gotta pay a visit to the local shop.

Sep 29, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #2,483 of 12,302
Oh, you. We all know that I'm an Internet marketer.
cool.gif

(I guess you qualify as one too, though I'm self-employed and, if I recall, you work for an ad agency.)

Oh, my bad. By that, I thought you meant you where marketing $5 Hot & Ready pizzas on the Pepperoni Superhighway. :wink:

Sep 29, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #2,485 of 12,302

All things being equal, there is no audible difference between SE and balanced. It's just that some amps have balanced topology that is designed better and thus sounds better than the single-ended section. So it depends on your equipment.

I don't get what you mean here by "All things being equal" ... Topologically, they're very different, and the differences are pretty audible, in my experience. Quick checklist of balanced advantages: four amps driving the signal instead of two, 2X the voltage swing, 2x the slew rate, more accurate square wave response, more overall power output, more powerful bass, bigger soundstage. Is it possible for a single ended amp to sound better? Sure. But all things would not be equal in that case. You'd have to compensate in a lot of areas to make up for the advantages balanced amps offer.

Sep 29, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #2,486 of 12,302
I wouldn't be surprised if the LCD-4 still didn't sound better than the HE6. I see they have a suspension band, they better have reduced the weight too or it is a non-starter for me, particularly given the price. Hopefully the driver doesn't have reliability issues.

Sep 29, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #2,487 of 12,302
  In other news...

https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-collection/lcd-4
http://www.head-fi.org/t/782442/audeze-lcd-4

Yep, and guess who gets to try it this weekend?
atsmile.gif
 RMAF FTW!

Sep 29, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #2,488 of 12,302
  I don't get what you mean here by "All things being equal" ... Topologically, they're very different, and the differences are pretty audible, in my experience. Quick checklist of balanced advantages: four amps driving the signal instead of two, 2X the voltage swing, 2x the slew rate, more accurate square wave response, more overall power output, more powerful bass, bigger soundstage. Is it possible for a single ended amp to sound better? Sure. But all things would not be equal in that case. You'd have to compensate in a lot of areas to make up for the advantages balanced amps offer.

Spend some time in the Sound Science section of this site. It's easy to make an amp that sounds the same from the single-ended and balanced outputs.

Sep 29, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #2,490 of 12,302
  I wouldn't be surprised if the LCD-4 still didn't sound better than the HE6. I see they have a suspension band, they better have reduced the weight too or it is a non-starter for me, particularly given the price. Hopefully the driver doesn't have reliability issues.

I'm planning on bringing my HE-6 to RMAF this weekend, so hopefully I will get a chance to compare a bit. Fingers crossed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back