Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Sep 30, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #2,506 of 12,322
Spend some time in the Sound Science section of this site. It's easy to make an amp that sounds the same from the single-ended and balanced outputs.

I reccomend to find somewhere to listen to both the balanced and single ended outputs of an amplifier. Ideally level matched.

Sep 30, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #2,510 of 12,322
Which balanced amp sounds the same as which se amp? How is the audible transparency determined? Is this because both amplifier have low distortion? Channel separation? How low distortion is needed?

As I already stated in an attempt to keep this thread on topic, these issues are best discussed in Sound Science...and have been. Also, the context is the balanced and single-ended sections of the same amp.

Sep 30, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #2,511 of 12,322
As I already stated in an attempt to keep this thread on topic, these issues are best discussed in Sound Science...and have been. Also, the context is the balanced and single-ended sections of the same amp.

True that its off topic. But yeh I recommend listening rather than reading .

Oct 2, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #2,513 of 12,322
Can jamming at RMAF!!!

Fun stuff so far. Got to hear the new HiFiMAN Edition X first thing. Just listened to the HE-6 on the Liquid Crimson and Liquid Gold and got to spend some time with Alex Cavalli's upcoming portable (which is far and away, easily, without question the best portable amp I've ever heard). Now I'm spending time with the ETHER C... Stand by for thoughts....

Oct 2, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #2,514 of 12,322
I have an Ether C on pre-order, await your thoughts anxiously. From other opinions it looks like it adds a little body to the sound versus the regular Ether, which would be welcome from my point of view.

Oct 2, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #2,515 of 12,322
Can jamming at RMAF!!!

Fun stuff so far. Got to hear the new HiFiMAN Edition X first thing. Just listened to the HE-6 on the Liquid Crimson and Liquid Gold and got to spend some time with Alex Cavalli's upcoming portable (which is far and away, easily, without question the best portable amp I've ever heard). Now I'm spending time with the ETHER C... Stand by for thoughts....

Hope you're able to compare the LCD-4 and SR-009! (And optionally the AB-1266.)

Oct 2, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #2,516 of 12,322
Can jamming at RMAF!!!

Can't wait to hear your opinion on the ether c. My wallet is ready, not

Oct 2, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #2,517 of 12,322
Can jamming at RMAF!!!

Hope you're able to compare the LCD-4 and SR-009! (And optionally the AB-1266.)

Tried the Abyss briefly. You weren't kidding about fit issues. Didn't love it personally. I'll give it another chance though.

Oct 2, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #2,518 of 12,322
I have an Ether C on pre-order, await your thoughts anxiously. From other opinions it looks like it adds a little body to the sound versus the regular Ether, which would be welcome from my point of view.

Can jamming at RMAF!!!

Can't wait to hear your opinion on the ether c. My wallet is ready, not

On the Ether-C... The only other closed back with this level of clarity is the TH900. This one is much more neutral though. Talked to Dan Clark for a while about the headphone.

Bass isn't super impactful compared to some others, but still feels "right" to me in this area. No music is too fast for this thing, I mean this thing is very, very quick and resolving.

I haven't heard an sibilance, but there are lots of upper mids, so it might be a tiny touch fatiguing for some sensitive listeners at higher volumes. Again, it's not sibilance, but there can be a tiny bit of shout.

Soundstage is very, very good for a closed back. I'm just continuously astounded by how clear this thing is. This is the TH900 for neutrality lovers, I think. Like the Ether, some may find it boring. I really dig it. If you want a neutral, clear closed back, this is it.

Test Gear:
Fiio X3ii - found it a bit to shouty on the upper mids and lacking impact straight out of the DAP

Yiggy and Cavalli Liquid Glass (R2R & Tube) - very warm and romantic sounding. Definitely conforms to gear like the open Ether. Juicy bass.

Auralic Vega & Cavalli Liquid Crimson (All Solid State) - my favorite combo. Very clear and resolving!

Oct 2, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #2,519 of 12,322
Thanks for the impressions! I am itching to try out a TH900, unfortunately can't find a shop in tdot that carries it. Hopefully someone will bring one in the upcoming meet..

Oct 2, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #2,520 of 12,322
The production version of the Enigma Acoustics Dharma D1000 is really nice. No more treble " glitch" weirdness. Definitely a good option for people who like the soundstage of the HD80, but not the treble harshness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back