Headphones for Hardcore/Death metal music <$100
Oct 12, 2010 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Salent

Head-Fier
I'm looking to upgrade from my JVC HARX700's. I listen to mostly Metalcore, Death metal and a little rap, but would like them to sound better with metal more so than rap. My budget is around $100 with a little bit of lea-way if the headphones are worth it. These would need to be a lot more portable the RX700's.I would prefer they be closed but its not a must. I have looked at a few different headphones after searching around through the forum. 

-Grado sr60i/sr80i
-Audio Technica M50
-AKG k240
-Sennheiser HD205
-ATH-ES7
-iGrado
Thanks,
Chris

Oct 12, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #3 of 16
Grados are usually recommended for rock oriented music. You could always check out the Alessandro line made by grados. Personally I didn't like them but I've read reviews where people say that the Alessandro's are a bit more balanced then the Grados.

Oct 12, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #4 of 16
I really enjoy using the sr80s for metal, so I would (and could) recommend them to you. I also think that the es7s would work nicely, I only got to try them out briefly, and it was with classical but they were similar to my sr80s.

I'd say get one of those two, and just pick one on looks and price.

Oct 12, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #5 of 16
Grados tend to be the recommended go-to can for metal around here, though I owned a pair of Alessandro MS1s (identical design to Grados, just made in collaboration with Alessandro) and I couldn't stand them... not because of the sound (they definitely sounded good), but because of the comfort; I couldn't wear them for any longer than half an hour at a time and ended up selling them after only a week. I tried washing the pads and rolling them in my hands for a long time but nothing worked, the fact that their pads are called "comfies" is the most ironic thing I've ever heard. If you're in to masochism, I'd fully recommend them.

Anyway, as for the other cans, I can't comment on most of them. You'll likely find the HD205 to be very sub-par when compared to other headphones like the M50, I owned them and they had a nice sound but they couldn't compete with even my V6 which only cost about half as much as the M50 which you also stated interest in. FWIR the K240 are unimpressive compared to the K271 but both are apparently fairly light on the bass and not suited to metal. The ES7s are apparently a very fun can to listen to, though I've not heard how they perform with metal, if they're anything like the ES9 then from what I've read about they wouldn't be an ideal choice for metal. Lastly, the M50 is a highly recommended headphone around here which is, FWIR, a great all-rounder, I'd put them at the top of your list with the Grados.

Be aware, the only headphone I've listened to in the second paragraph is the HD205, the rest is all FWIR (from what I've read) on this site and may or may not be accurate.

Oct 12, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #6 of 16
Ive been looking at the Grados alot and it sounds like they are a gre/at pair of cans. i have read on a couple of different posts that the durability is not the greatest. Is this just in some instances or is this common

Oct 12, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #7 of 16
I have Grado SR80is and they sound great for metal, I don't listen to much death but all types of metal I do listen to sound great on these, only post-metal may be lacking, I have not heard any other audiophile headphones but from the descriptions I see thrown at them, I say the Grados are going to be the best choice.

Oct 12, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #8 of 16
`Auvio Retro's. They are normally $40 (that's what I paid for mine) but are on sale for $20 right now at RadioShack. Try 'em and if you don't think that they're are as awesome for rock and metal as I do just return them for a full refund.

Oct 12, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #9 of 16
I'd say it's pretty likely that their build quality is sub-par compared to a lot of other headphones on the market, from what I understand Grado use 25 (give or take, I can't remember exactly) year old manufacturing equipment still. My Alessandro MS1 felt fairly solid but I wouldn't have felt comfortable testing that out, I'd trust my V6 to be able to stand a lot more abuse however.

Quote:
Ive been looking at the Grados alot and it sounds like they are a gre/at pair of cans. i have read on a couple of different posts that the durability is not the greatest. Is this just in some instances or is this common

Oct 12, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #10 of 16

Ive seen those before they look very similar to the jvc flats....idk they look kinda cheap and they dont completely cover the ear. For 20$ i guess thats what you get.

I think im going to give the Grado sr80i's a shot and see how i like them. If anyone can think of something that would be better for the price let me know.
Quote:
`Auvio Retro's. They are normally $40 (that's what I paid for mine) but are on sale for $20 right now at RadioShack. Try 'em and if you don't think that they're are as awesome for rock and metal as I do just return them for a full refund.

Oct 13, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #11 of 16
I think it's pretty unanimous -- the SR80i is the more or less undisputed champion of rock and metal music for less than $100, if you don't mind they way they fit.  I have a pair of SR60is, and I haven't heard anything under $100 that bests them (although I can only assume the SR80is are better).

Oct 13, 2010 at 6:52 AM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
Ive seen those before they look very similar to the jvc flats....idk they look kinda cheap and they dont completely cover the ear. For 20$ i guess thats what you get.

I think im going to give the Grado sr80i's a shot and see how i like them. If anyone can think of something that would be better for the price let me know.

[size=10pt]They are far better built than the Flats. I own both and the Auvio's use a tougher, thicker plastic. [/size]

VS.

(Sorry out the blurry cam. The camera I have on me now is a piece of junk)

[size=10pt]Remember these originally retailed for $40. I'm just asking why not give them a shot? If you hate them for some reason then simply return them.[/size]

Quote:
Hi Olimoronio,

Just wanted to say thank you for the great recommendation!! Got a pair yesterday and the first thing I did was pull off the thin black cloth covering the drivers and replace it with some black foam that I picked from a pair of old Sennheiser PMX 100 's (which these guys are replacing). Just as per your recommendation here.

All I can say is I am lovin it so far and even the burn-in is'nt complete yet. They were listed for $39.99 but RadioShack has sale on these right now and I got them for 10 bucks less!

Thanks!

Oct 13, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #15 of 16
I was wanting to buy the Auvio Retro. Thanks for posting about it! A glitch in Radio Shack's website showed it out of stock. Listening to it from my Sansa Fuze > GoVibe V5 amp. I like it WAY more than the JVC flats - not even close. This is my kind of sound with loud classic rock - like an un-refined baby brother HA-RX700 with an attitude... lol. I also prefer it to the JVC HA-S700 (sold / sibilant) and Pioneer SE-M390 (returned / tight up front sound).

Quote:
Maybe. Who cares?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back