Headphones best suited for all types of electronic music
Mar 12, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #16 of 24
I'd recommend the Ultrasone Pro 900 if they fit your budget.  They're great for the kind of music you listen to (I share a lot of favorite artists from the list you posted) and they're not too power hungry.  They're also very rugged (an order of magnitude more than the denons) and very comfortable.

Mar 12, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #17 of 24
I recommend a markl modded Denon D5000 or D7000. This might sound crazy because a lot of people think the mod reduces the bass quantity. That said, that is "partly" true, I was concerned at first because I, like you, enjoy electronic music, some of my favourite DJs are Tiesto, Marcus Schossow, Steve Aoki, Carl Cox.. and above and beyond on quiet nights. I tried my friend's D7000 and found the bass overhwelming, if you like the bass.. and I mean overwhelming bass, I suggest you not to get the mods done.

Now why I like the MD5000 (modded D5000)? I feel the enhanced soundstage really makes electronic music fun to listen to. The bass might not be as strong, but the dynamic range is better and the mids and trebles are still there, and not washed out by the bass. The lower range of the bass is clearer to imo than the D7000.

Hope this helps. :)

Mar 12, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #18 of 24
I picked up the HFI 580's and when they come in will be giving a full review. I listen to electronic music almost exclusively, and use a laptop and MP3 player (old sansa something) almost exclusively. 

Mar 12, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #19 of 24
I can't recommend one headphone over another here, due to the fact that I've only heard (and own) the Denon D2000s. They are very good for electronica, and seem to be spending more time on my head than my HD 650s. I must say that they (relatively) suck hairy sacks for most rock though (much prefer my HD 650s), but they are simply awesome for hip hip and electronica/drum and bass. I used to think the HD 650s were adequate, but the bass of the D2000s is very much better for this type of music.

If you're thinking of using them portably, I can recommend you don't buy them as they're simply not robust enough to be thrown into bags and bashed about.

Oh, and another u-Ziq fan here!

Mar 12, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #20 of 24

Quote:
I recently bought myself some DT990 pros (250) and generally listen to Electronic, House, Deep House, Minimal and I can say that they perform the task very well indeed. The bass is deep and warm, but I do see what everybody says about the treble, its not a problem to my ears though, and most electronic music is recorded meticulously well so I haven't had too much to complain about! They also get just about enough amplification from the iPhone to run them at an acceptable level. The open back does let a lot of external sound in, but I kind of like it when I'm walking about.

Same about the treble....is it possible to be both a basshead & a treblehead ?! lol a treblebasshead ?? I listen to mainly rock and electronica on my DT 990 Pro (also 250ohm) with some hip hop thrown in...I never listen to classical or any of that...got to say the 990 pro does very well for mainstream stuff that most people listen to. That wide soundstage with the bass and clarity is just wow! 

Mar 12, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #21 of 24

Quote:
I'd recommend the Ultrasone Pro 900 if they fit your budget.  They're great for the kind of music you listen to (I share a lot of favorite artists from the list you posted) and they're not too power hungry.  They're also very rugged (an order of magnitude more than the denons) and very comfortable.

Unfortunately these are a bit too pricey for me at this stage. What are your thoughts on the Ultrasone PRO 750s or 550s? How about the HI-FI series? I am really starting to like how robust and portable the Ultrasones are. Would I need to power them with an amp? If so, knowing that I want these to be as portable as possible, what is a good portable amp to go with?

Mar 12, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #22 of 24

Quote:
Unfortunately these are a bit too pricey for me at this stage. What are your thoughts on the Ultrasone PRO 750s or 550s? How about the HI-FI series? I am really starting to like how robust and portable the Ultrasones are. Would I need to power them with an amp? If so, knowing that I want these to be as portable as possible, what is a good portable amp to go with?

Yeah, I see they're been listed for about $550 right now.  However, the price is very volatile and I know they've sold around $350.  The price may just be high at the moment due to a shortage.
Sadly, I haven't tried other Ultrasones so I can't say.  But if I wanted a portable full size headphone I'd definitely go with an Ultrasone that's built like the Pro 900.

As for amping I'm a DIY guy so I don't bother to keep up with commercial offerings.  The AMB mini 3 is an excellent portable DIY amp that can often be found for under $100 on the for sale forum here.  However, an amp is not strictly needed.  I found the Pro 900s sounded quite good from my iphone.  If it was me I'd just plug them into my iphone for portable use as I find that much more convenient.

EDIT The Pro 900s are available here for $429: http://www.whiplashaudio.com/headphones/ultrasone-headphones/ultrasone-pro-900.html

Mar 13, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #23 of 24
Thank you so much for finding that for me rds! A pair of Ultrasone Pro 900s will be on their way to my place soon here. Also, thanks to everyone for all the comments and recommendations. I'll let you know what I think when the headphones arrive. PUMPED
beyersmile.png

Mar 13, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #24 of 24

Quote:
Thank you so much for finding that for me rds! A pair of Ultrasone Pro 900s will be on their way to my place soon here. Also, thanks to everyone for all the comments and recommendations. I'll let you know what I think when the headphones arrive. PUMPED
beyersmile.png

No problem :D
The Pro 900s come with two cables (one pigtail and one straight).  As I remember, both are terminated with a 1/4" plug.  A solid mini to 1/4" adapter is included, but for use with an ipod I'd recommend buying an adapter that has a cable between the plugs like this:

This type of adapter reduces the mechanical strain on the headphone jack.
Another option is to remove the 1/4" plug on one of the cables and replace it with a mini plug.  If you want to go that route and need someone to do that for you let me know (I'm in TO). 
Let us know how you like the new phones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back