headphone sightings?
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2004 at 12:50 AM Post #391 of 855
Couple months back I am getting my morning Starbucks (Union Square West) and I see this middle aged woman (could have been your mom, if you know what I mean) wearing 4P's. Now all the clerks in Starbucks know I order a large coffee (can't bring myself to order some sort of venti or grande ****). I don't even take out the etys. And for the occassional new girl, I order in what must be very loud voice, because all the clerks look at me. But I digress. The woman had one tip out and the other in. I've never seen another pair since then. I do see the occassional e2 and Grado 60, maybe 80.

I too feel a bit like a perv checking out headphones. Unless of course they are on a girl. But I am not that lucky. Most of the girls in NYC wear some sort of earbud. Boring. If I saw some girl sporting the 3k's, or better yet, the Leatherheads, I'd propose right on the spot.
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2004 at 2:07 AM Post #392 of 855
Oddly enough, I see a LOT of the Sony MDR50's, or 500's, whatever they are.

I was in NYC Saturday and TWO, count em' two people had on what looked to be Grado SR60's. They were not together.

May 4, 2004 at 3:15 AM Post #393 of 855
Saw someone on the subway in NYC wearing Ety 4 (unsure if P or S). Didn't chat with them as I had my E5s in and was enjoying my music but it was nice to see someone who enjoys their music as much as I do.

May 4, 2004 at 4:24 AM Post #394 of 855
heh, fun topic... i was just thinking about this the other day while walking around campus (umd college park). i've seen 3 pairs of sr60s, one being my roommate. quite a few v6/7506 and other sonys, some koss. i always have to chuckle when i see people's ears clamped inside some massive phillips or coby trash while i'm
etysmile.gif
know one kid with e3c as well. of course loads of streetstyle and stock buds i see more of those pearly white ipod buds everyday, and i am quickly developing an unhealthy hatred for them. damned clique-generating apple products. but the prize definitely has to go to the guy in the library blasting opera directly from some crap pcdp into his 580s. fwiw, i actually got a few compliments on my sr225s when i used to wear them out pre-etys (sadly none from the fairer sex). as per usual, all reactions to the etys have been looks of shock/disgust when i mention the price of my "earbuds" and that, yes, you must stick the whole damn thing into your ear canal...

May 4, 2004 at 6:38 AM Post #395 of 855
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhizome
massive phillips or coby trash

It's 'Philips' and it ain't trash!
There are a quite a few good Philips headphones out there.

May 4, 2004 at 6:57 AM Post #396 of 855
There is that "California First" public service ad on TV where they are stating that having your kid goto Preschool helps them excel at each level of school after that, by giving them a good start. It starts with a guy in front of college, and he's wearing Grado SR-60's or 80's.

So I guess that they're saying that going ro preschool makes you appreciate headphones more.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

May 5, 2004 at 3:28 AM Post #397 of 855
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
There is that "California First" public service ad on TV where they are stating that having your kid goto Preschool helps them excel at each level of school after that, by giving them a good start. It starts with a guy in front of college, and he's wearing Grado SR-60's or 80's.

So I guess that they're saying that going ro preschool makes you appreciate headphones more.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

i saw that first 5 commercial too. he was wearing them around his neck and i did a double take when i first saw that.

May 5, 2004 at 8:01 AM Post #398 of 855
I was walking across campus (Orange Coast College, in California) with the Etys (4P), when a guy on a cel phone waved his hand to get my attention and gave me a thumbs up, then pointed to his ear. I gave him a nod and he did it again.

I still haven't figured out of he was an Ety fan (quite unlikely), an iPod fan (less unlikely), or was just making fun of me for listening to music while waking (rather not think about it).

Never seen him again.

etysmile.gif

May 5, 2004 at 1:04 PM Post #399 of 855
You guys in the states must have better headphone selection or taste, or just a smaller percentage of asian people, because the majority of headphones ive seen over the last 3 weeks or so, are Sony blah blah clip ons, the wearer proudly bearing their sony round remote thingy like a badge of office.. must be a trend im missing.. or ignoring...
also sitting on bus and train, i have been counting the ammounts of white cords, they are breeding i tell you! ipods with stockers taking over!
funny incident, on bus home, uni guy with ipod spots me scrolling with iHP-120, asks to have a look at it, turns it over a few times, presses the joystick, and then gives it back... his remark "Nice tape player" ..... i was like -_-; because he wasn't joking....

May 5, 2004 at 7:54 PM Post #400 of 855
Saw a young woman on my way today with PortaPros on. I turned while I walked past her and gave her a thumbs up. She took of the phones as she thought I wanted to point something out, and when I said "nice phones" I think she thought I was kidding her as she said "Yea well, they look ****ty, but they sound great".

Too bad I was already late, could have become an interesting chat
rolleyes.gif

May 11, 2004 at 9:38 PM Post #401 of 855
I know this may be a little late, but around 3 or 4 weeks ago I was in the city downtown on 1st Ave or so (sitting in the Moonstruck across from the Tisch dance building) and I saw some Asian guy walk by with Sony Eggo d66's. I was freaking out. Before that, I'd never seen eggo's other than my own.

My gf said that someone else on my campus here in western mass has grados...that made me happy. She's getting hooked now...uses px200's with her ipod
smily_headphones1.gif

May 12, 2004 at 6:48 AM Post #402 of 855
One of my friend's dad owns a pair of AKG K240's, my music teacher actually owns 4 pairs of the K240's for recording purposes and I think a pair of V6s. Another guy at school has some Sennheiser HD280 Pros that he -lamely- wore to SAT IIs. I mean, when are you going to listen to music taking the SAT IIs other than in line to show them off? Psh. Anyways, finally, this other guy I know has a pair of HD500s. Edwood, I was going to mention the California First commercial as when I did see it, I was like "whoa, i didn't know grado was THAT popular." Oh, and some people have the Sony DJ V700's.... but those don't really count
rolleyes.gif

May 12, 2004 at 6:55 AM Post #403 of 855
Quote:

Originally Posted by PooJou
You guys in the states must have better headphone selection or taste, or just a smaller percentage of asian people, because the majority of headphones ive seen over the last 3 weeks or so, are Sony blah blah clip ons, the wearer proudly bearing their sony round remote thingy like a badge of office.. must be a trend im missing.. or ignoring...
also sitting on bus and train, i have been counting the ammounts of white cords, they are breeding i tell you! ipods with stockers taking over!
funny incident, on bus home, uni guy with ipod spots me scrolling with iHP-120, asks to have a look at it, turns it over a few times, presses the joystick, and then gives it back... his remark "Nice tape player" ..... i was like -_-; because he wasn't joking....

Gwa ha ha ha ha!
Now that you mention it...
evil_smiley.gif

May 12, 2004 at 12:29 PM Post #405 of 855
On the same day, Tuesday, I saw a girl come into the bank with Sennheiser HD-25 SP's. I stopped her and asked her about them. She said they were her ex-boyfriends. She liked them so she kept them after she threw him out. And later that day, I saw a guy wearing a pair of beat up eggos.

Good day for headphone sightings.

And last week, I saw some guy in Union Square with a pair of 570's.

The summer brings out the cans, and the a**.
biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back