1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

headphone sightings?

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by driftwood, Mar 7, 2002.
Tags:
First

Back
18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38
Next

Last
  1. austonia Contributor
    I've never seen one decent pair of cans outside of my own home. Not one. And there's only 2 or 3 other head-fi'ers in a 500 mile radius. I couldn't even get a head-fi meet together because there's no one to meet with. [​IMG]

I've tried to push my friends into getting something better, but they won't go for it. It's maddening. I can talk them into buying an MP3 player, blowing $300 on an iPod or Karma, but somehow it doesn't register in thier brains that the headphones are every bit as important. I describe how much better it can sound in vivid detail. I make up dramatic allegories, no good. I force them to try my headphones, and sure, they like, but they never buy. Then I punch them in the face for being so annoyingly average . Well, not really, but I should. I give up.

2. TheMuffinMan_01
    ive seen some px100's (because they sell em at ratshack now) and a few ksc50's. i think i saw the same guy with the high end sen's on the street that i saw a long time ago... i think they were hd650's cause they were pretty dark... didn't get a good look [​IMG]

3. Achtunghoy
    In my school i've seen Eggo D66, Eggo D77 (which I will try to buy), and Senn HD600 and 497. Lots of people have those COBY headphones with the blue and black, because they are "big" so they must sound good. Lots of V300's around, too.

4. rsaavedra
    I couldn't find this thread on time, but just now in SNL the Olsen twins and Jimmy Fallon were in a radio interview sketch wearing AKG 240's.

5. Lisa Contributor
    Turned on the TV just now. BBC1 news. There's some news about a museum and the people walking around in the museum are all wearing PX200! [​IMG]

6. plainsong
    Today on the bus I was going through the Kallio section of Helsinki (historically the poorer "worker's" district, but this is slowly changing - even apartments in Kallio are getting expensive!), and I saw a guy wearing Koss ksc-35's, a true insider tip! [​IMG]

I just as I'm reeling from that, a rocker-dude with long hair and a beard is walking down the street wearing what I think must be sr125 or 225's. I say that because he had what looked like bowl pads.

I wanted to open the window and shout "Get the flat pads from Todd the vinyl junkie!" [​IMG]

I just hope he didn't buy them here. Sr225's cost roughly 500 bucks.

7. Gummy
    All I've seen in school (University of Toronto) are the MX400 buds and SR-60.
    This dude wears the SR-60 religiously... [​IMG]

I saw him wearing that back when I didn't know about headphones and thought they looked really crappy, but deep inside knowing that he must be wearing them for a reason.

Now that I have the SR60, I have confirmed that he wore the same thing.

Man, I got laughed at so much when I bought this [​IMG]
    My friend was all like: This thing is so poorly built.... You paid $100+(Cdn) for them???!??!??!
    And this is coming from a person who buys stuff that only looks good.
    He has the Sony mp3 player... [​IMG]
    Pretty expensive stuff.

Oh well, deep down I know I am superior than them, who cares if they laugh at my SR60s

8. Idiot MD
    For the past few weeks (after seeing this thread) I've been keeping an eye open in my various wanderings (usually to and from campus) on what type of headphones have claimed headspace in the land of the midnight sun. Sadly, I have only seen numerous Sony/Koss products of all varieties, cans, clips, and streetstyles. Until yesterday. The surprising event was during a class break, as I was trotting towards the bathroom and what did I spy but a pair of HD600. Sadly, I heard them quite clearly from about five feet away and fear that his appreciation of quality headphones will accompany his hearing into history. Perhaps I should have struck a conversation as I might be offered a decent discount on his iPod/600 in the near future... [​IMG]

9. Gummy
    I don't understand why people would wear open cans in public...

If I were to listen to quality music on the go, I would choose IEM's.

10. PooJou
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummy
    Man, I got laughed at so much when I bought this [​IMG]
    My friend was all like: This thing is so poorly built.... You paid $100+(Cdn) for them???!??!??!
    And this is coming from a person who buys stuff that only looks good.
    He has the Sony mp3 player... [​IMG]
    Pretty expensive stuff.

Oh well, deep down I know I am superior than them, who cares if they laugh at my SR60s

Man, if you want weirdo looking headphones... Try walking around with Beyerdynamic DT231's strapped to your head.... people stare at you "What is the deal with that guys headphones... they're so..... plain..."
    People automatically think they're crap... haha... sucks to be them [​IMG]

11. zombietycho
    I had a friend chat with me about how rad his headphones were....

They were SR-80's and were regarded by him as "Awesome" because of how simple they were.
    Hehe, he is no audiophile though, since his copy of "Moon Safari" by Air makes clicking noises while you listen to it (Burnt from MP3) :shudder:

12. NPoet
    Oh man, may be the revival of of the horrible horribly dead thread but I had to do it...

was in the library today cramming for this test I am getting ready to take for my summer class [​IMG] and spotted a guy with AT a500's on after my a900s finally get here (which are in osaka currently) I'll remember never ever to wear them in public [​IMG]

and then when they get here... I have to decide on portables... which I would need a better source for... which I might as well get an amp for... which I might as well........ damn you college budget...

13. erikzen Contributor
    Since you revived the thread...

I was on a plane a couple of weeks ago and a guy across the aisle from me was using Sennheiser PXC-250s. I was trying to get a glimpse of his player without appearing like a wierdo. I think it was an iPod but I can't be sure.

14. pnrgi
    the best headphone i ever saw in public were Aiwa x222's i feel left out [​IMG]

15. Supsup
    I've never seen anyone wear nice phones here ( I live in a small suburb of San Diego).

Although I wear my Grados quite frequently in public, and I usually get a lot of wierd looks and comments. Mostly about how odd they look, but sometimes people comment on how "loud" the music I'm hearing must be, because they can hear it crystal clear from a few feet away. The joys of open cans.

Actually funny story the other week. My friend was listening to his iPod with a JVC HAG11. He said it sounded awsome. I listened, vomited, and let him hear my Grados. He was blown away.

I think some people have this idea that if headphones are big, closed, with nice big circumaural cushions then they are automatically good cans.

First

Back
18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38
Next

Last