Headphone Sightings 2
Jan 31, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #10,652 of 12,415
This thread should be renamed to "Headphone Detectives"

I mean, with all this stealth photo snapping and what not :p

Anyways! I saw a person with ATH-M50 at a starbucks the other day, he seemed to be enjoying his music and coffee. He was a very cool guy and I asked him to try my ATH-CK10 while I tried his M50. His reaction was "WOW how can earbuds sound better than headphones?" I grinned and said it depends on the IEMs and the headphones. I also told him he should get a straight cable versus the coiled as he told me he uses it on-the-go all the time.

Another time I saw someone with a pair of Sennheiser PX200's walking parallel to me on the street. IMO the PX200 looks really good and business like with suits, and wow it is just so portable!

Jan 31, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #10,653 of 12,415
Ahhh! You know what I forgot to do this Japan trip?  I was going to ask to take pictures of people with their headphones to make a tumblr gallery.

Alright, next vacation I will do so.

It makes me smile a bit when I see more people with Sony MDR-1's around Tokyo.  For full size headphones, I see those more than any other.

Jan 31, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #10,654 of 12,415
I do some writing for a residential architecture and design website for extra income on the side, and I came across a bunch of cool audio gear on the website of a German architect a couple days ago. All the projects are in Berlin, so the amount of Sennheisers is to be expected.

Find the HD800 in this one!

Jan 31, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #10,655 of 12,415

1,000's of candid random photos are posted and enjoyed on the internet every day.  I understand if you're posting a pic of someone bending over or wearing some tight succulent yoga booty pants (creeper pics), but a pic exploiting someone's headphones probably won't be too offensive.  Or will it?

A picture taken and uploaded to the internet without the permission of the person being photographed is a creeper pic, regardless of the context of the shot. If you want to take pictures like that, then at least be courteous enough to let the person know you have their photo after it's been taken and ask them if you may upload it. If they say no, then it doesn't belong online. If you can't work up the courage to ask someone for their permission to do so, then likewise, that photo does not belong online. Permission is key.

Jan 31, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #10,656 of 12,415

A picture taken and uploaded to the internet without the permission of the person being photographed is a creeper pic, regardless of the context of the shot. If you want to take pictures like that, then at least be courteous enough to let the person know you have their photo after it's been taken and ask them if you may upload it. If they say no, then it doesn't belong online. If you can't work up the courage to ask someone for their permission to do so, then likewise, that photo does not belong online. Permission is key.

Exactly. Just because candid shots without permission are common doesn't make them acceptable.

However, the headphone picture in question was rather harmless. I only tend to take offense if the photo was meant to make fun of the person.

Jan 31, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #10,657 of 12,415
I take offense at that kind of thing in general. If you're not going to do something as simple as ask for permission to put a photo of someone online, then you have no right to post that photo.

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #10,658 of 12,415

Tell that to the paparazzi.  I think the pic of the man in the subway rockin his Sennheisers already made this thread more interesting ten fold.  I've never even been on a subway and I find it intriguing.   But that is just my opinion.  People are way too sensitive these days and need to relax.   If I catch someone taking a pic of me with my headphones on without my permission, I might ask them to re-take it so I can make sure I'm in a pose that doesn't make me look fat.  

I've been made aware that there is another thread containing pics of people wearing headphones.  I guess I should just find it instead of rambling on.

Jan 31, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #10,659 of 12,415

Tell that to the paparazzi.  I think the pic of the man in the subway rockin his Sennheisers already made this thread more interesting ten fold.  I've never even been on a subway and I find it intriguing.   But that is just my opinion.  People are way too sensitive these days and need to relax.   If I catch someone taking a pic of me with my headphones on without my permission, I might ask them to re-take it so I can make sure I'm in a pose that doesn't make me look fat.  

I've been made aware that there is another thread containing pics of people wearing headphones.  I guess I should just find it instead of rambling on.

You must have misread my post. I did not take issue with taking a photo of somebody else, even without their knowledge. However, if you intend to keep or to post that photo, it is only polite to let them know that you have the photo and to ask for their permission to use it. I, for one, take my privacy pretty seriously. If I caught someone taking a photo of me, I wouldn't immediately get angry. Instead, I would ask to see the photo so that I could determine whether I felt comfortable with them keeping it. It is an issue of respect. Respect the privacy of others. Let them know you have these photos, so that they can decide whether they want those online or not. It should be no one else's decision.

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #10,663 of 12,415
  Exactly. Just because candid shots without permission are common doesn't make them acceptable.

However, the headphone picture in question was rather harmless. I only tend to take offense if the photo was meant to make fun of the person.

There are tens of thousands of street candids on flickr and I really do not think street photographers ask the permission, although I really understand the view, that "permission is the key". I already was few times an object of candid photos, nobody asked the permission, and I do not mind if someone would upload those pics on the web - but I know, this is my point of view. There is also a lot of street fashion websites and unlike flickr I suppose their practice is the permission of their (potential) objects concerning publishing pics of them on the web.

Anyway, on flickr I found two systematic sets of candids focused on headphones (maybe there are more, who knows):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/arbobo/sets/72157628069347497
http://www.flickr.com/photos/spry/sets/72157624915598620/

Perhaps you can make such a set on flickr.

I understand the question is, direct uploads or not. To me direct uploads on head-fi are not the way, but I suppose links to flickr pics or to some blog pics could be acceptable.

Jan 31, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #10,664 of 12,415
It's also not illegal as many think, as long as person(s) is in a public area.
If they really want the photos deleted then they'd have to go through court; even if police ask you directly, you don't have to. But that's a bit too far 

Jan 31, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #10,665 of 12,415
  It's also not illegal as many think, as long as person(s) is in a public area.
If they really want the photos deleted then they'd have to go through court; even if police ask you directly, you don't have to. But that's a bit too far 

It's technically illegal, but nobody will prosecute you for it unless the subject of the photo personally goes out of their way to sue you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back