Headphone Sightings 2
Aug 2, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #9,286 of 12,415
electrostats in public? I would never even consider it, if you get even a little spec of dust or material on the diaphragm you get distortion that is next to impossible to fix/clean.  Maybe I'm paranoid but not worth the novelty of getting weird looks IMO

I saw a pair of headphones hanging from a super old van, went to get a closer look at them and they said "Radio Shack" on the cups : (

Aug 3, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #9,287 of 12,415
Reading the last few pages of this thread and seeing that some folk seem to care more about their headphones than getting run over or nearly killed makes me think about giving this stuff up and going back to reality.

Aug 3, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #9,288 of 12,415
Quote:
Reading the last few pages of this thread and seeing that some folk seem to care more about their headphones than getting run over or nearly killed makes me think about giving this stuff up and going back to reality.

And we're making fun of those who wear open back headphones that clearly makes you aware of your surroundings.

Aug 3, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #9,289 of 12,415
Both on TV:  Neon Beats (IEM's?) 
blink.gif

Flip Audio 
confused.gif

Aug 3, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #9,290 of 12,415
Quote:
Both on TV:  Neon Beats (IEM's?) 
blink.gif

Flip Audio 
confused.gif

Those Flip ones are incredibly annoying because they're charging M50/HFI580 money for them. Somebody came on Audiokarma a few days ago asking about them, and everyone had a good laugh.

Aug 3, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #9,292 of 12,415
And we're making fun of those who wear open back headphones that clearly makes you aware of your surroundings.

But isn't it rather senseless to use open back headphones in a situation in which you'd be in any danger anyway? You'd most likely have to turn up the music to be louder than your surroundings, which would both be detrimental to your hearing and kind of ruin the point of using open headphones anyway because your surroundings are pretty much drowned out. I stopped using my Portapros outside for that reason. It makes more sense to use IEMs and just take them out when you need to.

Aug 3, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #9,293 of 12,415
Quote:
[…] You'd most likely have to turn up the music to be louder than your surroundings, which would both be detrimental to your hearing and kind of ruin the point of using open headphones anyway because your surroundings are pretty much drowned out. […]

Only if your idea of 'listening to music' contains 'drowning everything else out' as a prerequisite. Plenty of people around here seem to think it's all or nothing, but I personally don't get it. If you really can't enjoy music because you can also hear some idle chit-chat at a bus stop, then whatever, leave in your IEMs. But I see so… many… people… in the District getting hit, and so many of them seem cut off from their environment in a way that just… does not seem worth it.

Aug 3, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #9,294 of 12,415
Quote:

With eight C batteries, it is indeed portable.

And why wouldn't you want to be seen in public with them? It's not only a testament to how knowledgeable you are about your hobby, but a conversation piece and starter. Want to listen to headphones made in 1993 that will blow away anything you've ever heard...? Yeah, even those Beats you've got there...

The kind of people who would think less of you because you look odd or weird wearing them, I don't believe are worthy of my attention anyways for making such shallow, surface judgements.

Are you sure they'd be ok used outdoors? Staxes can be quite delicate from my experience.

Aug 3, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #9,295 of 12,415
I've only ever nearly been hit once, but the moron was turning on his red light. Now I'm extremely careful to look at each driveway, sidestreet and all around to make sure not to get in danger. Many drivers like to speed past the trams here in Melbourne that you need to look for.

Anyway as for sightings, I saw a few good cans today.

Guy with Momentums and a Fiio E7 on the train.

A girl was using Noontec Zoro's in the city.

Also a teenage came into work the other day with Grado 225i's, we could easily hear all of his music, due to open backs. I gave him props for a good headphone before he left.

Aug 4, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #9,296 of 12,415
Quote:
I've only ever nearly been hit once, but the moron was turning on his red light. Now I'm extremely careful to look at each driveway, sidestreet and all around to make sure not to get in danger. Many drivers like to speed past the trams here in Melbourne that you need to look for.

Your comment made me realize that mine sounded rather victim-blamy. Some people jaywalk, some people cycle against traffic or against lights. But most of the hits I've seen, the driver was clearly in the wrong. I don't mean to blame victims for being unaware of their surroundings, ideally we'd not have to worry about this at all. But the unfortunate reality is that we simply can't trust that…

Aug 4, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #9,297 of 12,415
I live in the UK and walked around with headphones on for many years and i have yet to even come close to getting hit by a car. I just make sure i pay more attention to my surroundings with my eyes. If it's a dangerous junction i just take my headphones off to cross.

I honestly thought that Australia and some states in America are more pedestrian friendly than the UK.

Aug 4, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #9,298 of 12,415
lol so I'm trying to find the correct album art for Classical music (a total pain in the ass) and I came across this:

I'm not really sure how good Dennons would be for classical haha
EDIT: those are fostex TH900s huh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back