Headphone Sightings 2
May 13, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #8,896 of 12,415
Quote:
What does MDR even mean? It's used on pretty much all of Sony's headphones...except for Xtra Bass.

Music Dynamic Receiver.

May 13, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #8,898 of 12,415
Quote:
I'm pretty sure its Micro Dynamic Receiver. 

It's one of the two...but Micro makes more sense.

Code:
 Dear Sir or Madam, Your message has been received by Sony Customer Service, Japan. Thank you for your E-mail message. Firstly, we sincerely appreciate your patronage of Sony products for years. In reply to your inquiry, our comment is as follows, We avoid the repetition of the same model number of similar line of other companies and have decided the model number of the product. When the headphones were released at first, the model number had the acronym "DR-" (it means "[b]Dynamic Receiver[/b]"). And WALKMAN came out, the model number of headphones were changed to "MDR-" (we guess M stands for "[b]Micro[/b]" or "[b]Music[/b]"), and it came to be able to carry to the outside. Regrettably we could not find the concrete reason. Please understand. We hope you would kindly understand the above. Also, your continual attention to Sony products would be highly appreciated. Sincerely yours, Sony Customer Service(Japan) Inc., SCSJ

May 13, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #8,899 of 12,415
Quote:
Quote:
I'm pretty sure its Micro Dynamic Receiver. 

It's one of the two...but Micro makes more sense.

Code:
 Dear Sir or Madam, Your message has been received by Sony Customer Service, Japan. Thank you for your E-mail message. Firstly, we sincerely appreciate your patronage of Sony products for years. In reply to your inquiry, our comment is as follows, We avoid the repetition of the same model number of similar line of other companies and have decided the model number of the product. When the headphones were released at first, the model number had the acronym "DR-" (it means "[b]Dynamic Receiver[/b]"). And WALKMAN came out, the model number of headphones were changed to "MDR-" (we guess M stands for "[b]Micro[/b]" or "[b]Music[/b]"), and it came to be able to carry to the outside. Regrettably we could not find the concrete reason. Please understand. We hope you would kindly understand the above. Also, your continual attention to Sony products would be highly appreciated. Sincerely yours, Sony Customer Service(Japan) Inc., SCSJ

Ah okay. It's interesting that even Sony is unsure about it, hahaha.

May 14, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #8,902 of 12,415
I went downtown last weekend and saw lots of fake and genuine beats, a pair of Bose AE2. Actually a guy I know from university has that super hyped superlux headphones...I guess he got them while strudyng abroad because that brand is unheard of in this country. 

May 14, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #8,910 of 12,415
Quote:
Quote:

Not only the XB, the XBA as well. I think there is actually a thread in Head-Fi discussing this and they were able to find the answer haha. 

Perhaps it means Xtra Bass Armature?

Or perhaps Sony doesn't even know where it came from, like the MDR models. XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back