Headphone Sightings 2
Jan 24, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #751 of 12,415
this guy in my chemistry lecture wears Porta Pros to class every day

I see a ton of skullcandies and Tri Ports too. And I always see this guy walking around campus wearing Senn HD212's.

Jan 24, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #752 of 12,415
Seen some skullcandies around. I'm pretty sure I saw some Shure 310s the other day on the L downtown.

I also ran into a guy near Water Tower Place looking very pleased with himself and sporting Bose Tri-ports. Has there ever been a headphone so instantly recognizable (and ugly) as TPs? It was all I could do not to pet my Denons and laugh. =P

Jan 24, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #753 of 12,415
On the engineering half of the campus (McGill), almost everyone wears infidel headphones. I've only seen a few low-end Senn HDs (437, 497, 201, 202) worn unamped, and a guy walking around with a K141. I don't see any decent IEMs around either. I guess most engineering guys (except me) just don't give a crap about SQ
tongue.gif

Jan 24, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #756 of 12,415
Quote:

Originally Posted by p956lh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the engineering half of the campus (McGill), almost everyone wears infidel headphones. I've only seen a few low-end Senn HDs (437, 497, 201, 202) worn unamped, and a guy walking around with a K141. I don't see any decent IEMs around either. I guess most engineering guys (except me) just don't give a crap about SQ
tongue.gif

I think they just don't know what they are missing for the most part. Many students in engineering can also be naive, perhaps think they know everything. Going to an engineering school myself, I often get the reaction "How much? WHY!?" and then "yeah, that does sound better...". In my opinion its all thanks to the bass contour.
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 25, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #759 of 12,415
Quote:

Originally Posted by p956lh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

Same thing at Polytechnique.
biggrin.gif

I've seen a few PortaPros, one pair of KSC-35, a few HD212, but most people wear crappy earbuds.

Jan 25, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #760 of 12,415
Mostly, I see headphones when I'm either wandering around on my prior campus to meet friends, or when I take flights to get to work. On campus, I mostly see, cheap streetstyles, low end JVCs, stock iBuds, Koss Plugs and Triports. The flights usually see lots of Triports, Philips Noise Canceling units, QC2, stock iBuds and Skullcandy. I did actually see a guy from China over at one of the main Operating Centers using a pair of Yuins which I recognized primarily from the box he was carrying along. I thought he was a head-fier when I saw them, but it turned out, he bought them cause a friend in China recommended them while he was there last.

Jan 25, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #761 of 12,415
MELBOURNE

Was in the Melbourne Central Level 2 Foodcourt and at this Asian takeout this guy had Triple Fi 10s hanging form his collar, so I said 'nice headphones mate - triple fi 10s!' - and you could tell he wasn't a Head-Fier because he was so rude he just went 'yeah' and walked off.

If someone recognised my headphones I'd start talking to them, but this guy was rude!

Still, wow!

Jan 25, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #762 of 12,415
There's this place in SF called Video Cafe. It's run by a group of middle-aged Thai women. They also rent DVDs, and play movies on the flatscreens at night (or local TV during the day). They open 24 hours. The video cafe is also a hangout of sorts during the daytime for the elderly.

Well anyways, these two guys apparently eat there every single day. They just sit there in a booth facing each other. Both of them wear Koss UR40's. Get this, they keep 'em on even when they leave. Must be good listenin'.

Jan 25, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #763 of 12,415
Last semester I saw someone with SR-80s in a bathroom at Vanier College xD. I was super close to talking to him about them, but then I didn't, seeing as I hadn't really been at head-fi for long plus I hadn't bought or heard any good headphones besides my mom's k240 and my Dad's old sens.

Now I have SR-80s myself and if I saw him again I'd definitely mention it =P.

Other than that though, there seems to just be the usual abundance of iBuds, crappy sony/colby/noname earbuds and cans. I think I saw one dude with portapros on once though, that was cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back