Headphone Sightings 2
Aug 14, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #6,903 of 12,415
Seeing all these posts makes me wonder: Do the people make a well-informed purchase, by consulting websites like Head-Fi and RG, or did they just go out and buy a pair of headphones on a whim and get lucky?

Probably a good amount of both.

Aug 14, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #6,904 of 12,415
Quote:
Seeing all these posts makes me wonder: Do the people make a well-informed purchase, by consulting websites like Head-Fi and RG, or did they just go out and buy a pair of headphones on a whim and get lucky?

I've Taken advice from HF for about, 2 headphones. Almost 3 (Sony XB500, Koss Porta Pros) upcoming is a pair of Grado SR80i

about 3 i've taken pot-shot buys at; Sony ZX100, Skullcandy Uprocks Blue, and Sennheiser HD201
I had 1 very bad luck at buying and hearing the sound of Skullcandy Uprocks.. i should have never bought them for how bad they sound at the price. even the Sennheiser HD201's (which were a lucky draw) still sound better than them when they cost about 20$ for me

Aug 14, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #6,905 of 12,415

When you learn what kind of sound signature you like, consulting sites like HF become a viable option. Though, to start off getting some quick suggestions and making a few random purchases might help you considerably as the most important part is to listen first hand, not second hand.

Aug 14, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #6,906 of 12,415
saw B&W P3's and P5's at my Apple Store.

with the family, i came to one of the iTouches that harbored a B&W P3 since im so curious of the hype going around on these Bower and Wilkins headphones.

They isolate sound very well, but the pair i listened to were Broken? couldnt play music at all. Not suprising when you got like? over 500 Fanboys visiting the apple store every day.

If i remember correctly, the store DID have some AKG Q701's and K701's before

Aug 15, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #6,910 of 12,415
Quote:

Might have to be careful about that phrase depending on where you are..

yea, the public dont know too well of Headphone sites so they'd prolly feel shady around your Tshirt

Aug 15, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #6,912 of 12,415
I wanna see some Grado's in Virginia.

i ordered some, so ill probably be one of those people that wear Grado's in public

Aug 15, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #6,913 of 12,415
Quote:
I wanna see some Grado's in Virginia.

i ordered some, so ill probably be one of those people that wear Grado's in public

Say hello to tinnitus then. They don't isolate at all, which means you'll crank the volume to drown out background noise. And since they can play incredibly loud without distorting, next thing you know you'll be deaf. 
Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed my SR60i's very much, but they are a use-at-home headphone.
L3000.gif

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #6,914 of 12,415
Quote:
Say hello to tinnitus then. They don't isolate at all, which means you'll crank the volume to drown out background noise. And since they can play incredibly loud without distorting, next thing you know you'll be deaf. 
Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed my SR60i's very much, but they are a use-at-home headphone.
L3000.gif

Im not those people that blast music loud, i wear Portapros in public but only listen to them in long car rides. and in the bus.
They dont isolate noise well either and i dont mind the "*Loud people in the back of the bus because they think their cool*" people.

but dont mind me, I dont blast my music like the 'cool kids do in school. and im really conscious of my hearing. as i value it alot.
but yea, ill keep note of that :-|

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #6,915 of 12,415
Quote:
Im not those people that blast music loud, i wear Portapros in public but only listen to them in long car rides. and in the bus.
They dont isolate noise well either and i dont mind the "*Loud people in the back of the bus because they think their cool*" people.

but dont mind me, I dont blast my music like the 'cool kids do in school. and im really conscious of my hearing. as i value it alot.
but yea, ill keep note of that :-|

I wear Sennheiser PX90's when I am out walking (used to use Portapros too) and I have to fight the urge to crank the tunes to drown out everything....if there's too much traffic noise, I'll just pause my tunes. But I won't use an isolating design in those circumstances either....I've been hit by cars twice without headphones on, so I'm not taking any chances....lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back