Headphone Sightings 2
Jan 7, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #6,061 of 12,415

Quote:
I happened upon an old video of Frank Caliendo wearing a pair of those Sennheiser HD 25 with the mic attached. He's talking to another person who is also wearing an HD 25. But there is some strangeness afoot.
First, neither of them are wearing their cans with the headband opened. Is it comfortable to wear them like that?
And secondly, there is a Beats logo on the spokesperson's laptop! There should be a Sennheiser logo there
very_evil_smiley.gif

In real life, I sighted a pair of studios on someone's neck at Target and another pair of studios, surprisingly on a person's ears, at Starbucks.
And hmm...this is a little bit like a "pseudo-sighting." I was in the home theatre area of Best Buy when I happened upon a booklet with the picture of a pair of AKG Q460 inside. I immediately thought, "Best Buy has AKG headphones?!" But I was soon disappointed when I realized the booklet wasn't specifically advertising Best Buy. Yet it was..in..Best Buy. Huh..
confused.gif

My best buy/futureshop sells akg. But generic akg k518le for the most part. They are $99.

Jan 8, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #6,062 of 12,415

Quote:
And secondly, there is a Beats logo on the spokesperson's laptop!

Oh yeah, HP has been doing that for a while. It really does seem like those folks at Monster want the whole of industry to revolve around "Beats". That aside, HTC also does that for their newer phones now. And yes, the Beats audio on those smartphones also actively sabotages your sound while it's "off". One can guess that my next phone will be Samsung for virtue of Voodoo and CyanogenMod...

Aside from that, saw someone using MDR-V6's while biking.

Jan 8, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #6,063 of 12,415
I expected to see a lot of new headphones (Christmas gifts) at the meet I went to, and was kind of disappointed. Saw 3 pairs of Skullcandy GI's, two pairs of Beats, an HD428, an HD448, and my least favorite was seeing a really pretty girl with a pair of Detox Beats Pros. It kind of skewed the scale.

Jan 8, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #6,064 of 12,415

Quote:
Oh yeah, HP has been doing that for a while. It really does seem like those folks at Monster want the whole of industry to revolve around "Beats". That aside, HTC also does that for their newer phones now. And yes, the Beats audio on those smartphones also actively sabotages your sound while it's "off". One can guess that my next phone will be Samsung for virtue of Voodoo and CyanogenMod...

Speaking of Beats phones, their FR is actually laughable. 
http://st.gsmarena.com/vv/reviewsimg/htc-sensation-xe/gsmarena_a001.png

Saw a ton of ibuds, one Beats Solo. Actually thought the Beats Solos were some Sennheisers because I was so far away.

Jan 8, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #6,065 of 12,415

Quote:
Train from grand central back to ct, Saw 1 ATHm50 a few sonys and a tsunami of ibuds, I was using my hd 598s just because there weren't many people in my car so I wasn't concerned  with leakage, however I was complimented by the chick with the m50, said "they make me look very sophisticated, like I could answer anything about music" ( I lol'd to myself cause thats farrrr from true lol, i only got them cause of morbidtoaster recomended them). ended up conversing about outdoor camping, shes a fan too.

Well lady if you happen to be on head-fi reading this, I thoroughly enjoyed our chat..

ABC

Jan 8, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #6,066 of 12,415
Well I guess I'm going to be rocking some iBuds all day tomorrow as I packed my headphones, amp and dac in my suitcase to take to school 
mad.gif
. Haven't listened to these things for 2 years, well, wish me luck!

Jan 8, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #6,067 of 12,415
beats studios and klipsch image ones.

Jan 8, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #6,068 of 12,415
saw mostly beats, candies, bose, mdr v150.
xb500 seems popular around my campus nowadays. seeing more people have them now.
a hd201.
good ones i've seen so far are hd595, v modas, m50.
the hd595 was surprising cuz it was open, probably a casual listener who took a recommendation from a
friend who forget to mention about open and closed back phones.

sadly my portable use headphone is just a cheap pair of jvc gummies.

Jan 8, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #6,069 of 12,415
Well, at least you guys have some proper headphone sightings. Around my school it's either Skullcandy, Beats, or some cheap earbuds. I don't live in an urban environment either, so it's really not like we have a proper audio store that some students could stumble into and discover the magic that is proper headphones.

I must say though, the students at my school probably care more about their car audio, so I have to give them credit where credit is due.

Jan 8, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #6,070 of 12,415

Quote:
Well, at least you guys have some proper headphone sightings. Around my school it's either Skullcandy, Beats, or some cheap earbuds. I don't live in an urban environment either, so it's really not like we have a proper audio store that some students could stumble into and discover the magic that is proper headphones.

I must say though, the students at my school probably care more about their car audio, so I have to give them credit where credit is due.

But to them good car audio is BOOM BOOM BOOM.

Jan 8, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #6,072 of 12,415

Quote:
Not even, its Brrrtsrrtstrrrrtstrrrrtrrrtst bbrrrrttsrrtsrrrrrrrtsrrts.
In other words, the rattles of the car are louder than the subs.

My uncle has a speaker system in his care which sounds like crap. You can't hear any mids or highs it's all bass. And one note bass at that. He paid $500 for the speakers and sub at wal mart. I couldn't bring myself to say he wasted his money. He was enjoying it.

Jan 8, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #6,074 of 12,415

Quote:
Here in NYC Sonys predominate, significantly more common than Bose. Koss is also popular. I'm seeing a lot of clip-ons, but I don't have as good an eye for the various brands. I assume the better ones are Audio-Technica.

Two weeks ago I was waiting to cross the street by Union Square. Next to me stood a man wearing Grado SR80s. Just before the light changed I said, "Grados rock, don't they?"

He said nothing.
Oh well, I thought.
We started to cross.
"They certainly do," I heard. I looked toward him again, he was smiling. It must have taken him a moment to parse what I had said over the sound of what he was listening to.

Andy

I like this post.

I'm in the military and in the dorms I live in, there used to be a guy with a pair of circamural Sennheiser's but it was before I got into this stuff very much so I don't recall what model they were.

On the base I live in, anyone who has headphones that cost anything have Beats. Sad.

Jan 8, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #6,075 of 12,415

This isn't really a sighting.... it's sort of like a "hearing". :)

My friend purchased Beats. I asked him why. He said "Because they look cool." Typical Beats story right?

Here's a twist. He said that his dad had gotten some Sony's and Sennheiser's before. My friend himself had Sony's, but he didn't like the look of them (which would be weird, considering he doesn't even wear headphones in public... so it shouldn't really have mattered). 

So, he wanted to move away from Sony. Then, there are Sennheiser's. His dad said that Sennheiser's were crap because they broke so easily.... and so my friend avoided Sennheiser's and bought Beats. This is really freakin' weird, considering Beats are made of cheap plastic that will break incredibly easily. I'm wondering which Sennheiser's his dad had gotten, because I don't really know many models that can break as easily as he describes them to.

I've dropped my HD 555's several times (and by several... I mean multiple tens of times) on both hard, wooden floors and hard plastic floors. The most damage done? A crack. A half inch crack on the side. Wow a crack? Shoddy build quality, eh Sennheiser? Well.... these headphones are about 3-4 years old, and after constant accidents and abuse... I'd say that's some pretty good build quality. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back