Headphone Sightings 2
Oct 7, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #2,521 of 12,415

Quote:
i let one of my high school friends try my m50s, and he liked what he heard. he said he was frustrated with his apple buds. so he actually got himself a pair of srh440s. I'm proud of myself. Now I'm not the only person with cans over $50 at my school

That's pretty cool. I will remain the only "audiophile" in my school I think. I was talking about my Grado's on the bus. I talked about how much better they were than Bose for the money. One kid says "No, Bose are awesome!"
He hasn't even heard my Grado's. If ignorance is bliss, than blissful is something I do not want to be. 

Oct 7, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #2,522 of 12,415
saw a kid on campus with a pair of sr-60 grados, standing in the pouring rain with no hood on.

i was pretty pissed, for his lack of care for them.

Oct 8, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #2,524 of 12,415

Quote:
saw a kid on campus with a pair of sr-60 grados, standing in the pouring rain with no hood on.

i was pretty pissed, for his lack of care for them.

What?! isnt he afraid that it would break?! man i would be pissed if i see someone do that .__.  .... and the guy in my japanese class IS an audiophile....just not sure if he's a fellow head-fi member XP...saw some CX300 on the MRT today :p

Oct 8, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #2,525 of 12,415

That's pretty cool. I will remain the only "audiophile" in my school I think. I was talking about my Grado's on the bus. I talked about how much better they were than Bose for the money. One kid says "No, Bose are awesome!"
He hasn't even heard my Grado's. If ignorance is bliss, than blissful is something I do not want to be. 

FYI Having the best headphones on the bus doesn't make you an audiophile.

Oct 8, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #2,526 of 12,415

Quote:
FYI Having the best headphones on the bus doesn't make you an audiophile.

I believe that an audiophile is a person who can tell the difference and truly appreciate Hi-Fi (since some don't have the money).
But since other people think it is only if you only listen to FLAC files through your DACMagic and WA6 with several of your $1000+ headphones, I decided to put quotation marks.

Oct 8, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #2,528 of 12,415
I saw a guy wearing some AKG K271 at college the other day, though I think he was one of those people who buy headphones to look cool because I doubt anyone would use AKGs as portables considering that they're very dependant upon an amp to drive them, also he was wearing them around his neck on the two occasions that I saw him so I think it's safe to say he was wearing them to impress his friends.

"Hey guize, look at these headphones, pffft you all use skullcandy, look how obscure my headphones are I bet you've never even heard of them"

...God damn hipsters.

Oct 8, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #2,529 of 12,415

Quote:
I saw a guy wearing some AKG K271 at college the other day, though I think he was one of those people who buy headphones to look cool because I doubt anyone would use AKGs as portables considering that they're very dependant upon an amp to drive them, also he was wearing them around his neck on the two occasions that I saw him so I think it's safe to say he was wearing them to impress his friends.

"Hey guize, look at these headphones, pffft you all use skullcandy, look how obscure my headphones are I bet you've never even heard of them"

...God damn hipsters.

Dear god, why would someone wear the K271's around their neck? I'd be afraid of cutting off blood circulation to my head!

Oct 8, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #2,530 of 12,415

Quote:
I believe that an audiophile is a person who can tell the difference and truly appreciate Hi-Fi (since some don't have the money).
But since other people think it is only if you only listen to FLAC files through your DACMagic and WA6 with several of your $1000+ headphones, I decided to put quotation marks.

In my opinion, an audiophile is anyone who can appreciate sound quality. Isn't that really why we're here in the first place? To find headphones that have the particular sound quality that best suits our tastes?

By definition, the word audiophile: audio refers to sound and phile refers to love or being passionate for. So if you're an audiophile, you should just love sound or appreciate good sound quality. 

I personally don't think it matters what you have or how much you spend on stuff. As long as you seek to educate yourself and find the best equipment that suits YOU, I think that's what makes one an audiophile. 

For instance, if someone is a "Car Enthusiast," you could be just driving a Honda Civic and love it to death- modifying it to fit you and your needs the best. You don't need to buy a Ferrari to be a car enthusiast. Hell, most of the people that buy Ferrari's just want it as a status symbol, and not because they love cars, thus them not even being true enthusiasts.

In essence, whomever desires and makes an effort to find the best that they can comfortably afford (or uncomfortably afford) that suits what they need/want, can be considered a "____phile" or "________ enthusiast."  

I find it funny when people come onto Head-Fi and make a thread starting with something like "Hi guys, I'm new here and I'm not quite an audiophile, but I want the best headphones I can get for $300 that is good for rock and classical." I'm sure you've all seen threads like that- they come up nearly every day. The ironic thing is, in my opinion- them even coming on here, spending time, and making an effort to research and find a headphone with better sound quality already makes them an audiophile. 

Oct 8, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #2,531 of 12,415

Quote:
In my opinion, an audiophile is anyone who can appreciate sound quality. Isn't that really why we're here in the first place? To find headphones that have the particular sound quality that best suits our tastes?

By definition, the word audiophile: audio refers to sound and phile refers to love or being passionate for. So if you're an audiophile, you should just love sound or appreciate good sound quality. 

I personally don't think it matters what you have or how much you spend on stuff. As long as you seek to educate yourself and find the best equipment that suits YOU, I think that's what makes one an audiophile. 

For instance, if someone is a "Car Enthusiast," you could be just driving a Honda Civic and love it to death- modifying it to fit you and your needs the best. You don't need to buy a Ferrari to be a car enthusiast. Hell, most of the people that buy Ferrari's just want it as a status symbol, and not because they love cars, thus them not even being true enthusiasts.

In essence, whomever desires and makes an effort to find the best that they can comfortably afford (or uncomfortably afford) that suits what they need/want, can be considered a "____phile" or "________ enthusiast."  

I find it funny when people come onto Head-Fi and make a thread starting with something like "Hi guys, I'm new here and I'm not quite an audiophile, but I want the best headphones I can get for $300 that is good for rock and classical." I'm sure you've all seen threads like that- they come up nearly every day. The ironic thing is, in my opinion- them even coming on here, spending time, and making an effort to research and find a headphone with better sound quality already makes them an audiophile. 

I love you. Thanks. 

Oct 8, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #2,533 of 12,415

Quote:

Very well written
smily_headphones1.gif
Definitely a good analogy with the Ferrari. So true.

Oct 9, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #2,534 of 12,415
Quote:
I find it funny when people come onto Head-Fi and make a thread starting with something like "Hi guys, I'm new here and I'm not quite an audiophile, but I want the best headphones I can get for $300 that is good for rock and classical." I'm sure you've all seen threads like that- they come up nearly every day.

Yeah those get a little old. I think someone could do a great service if they could make a sticky or wiki with all the relevant info. I mean by now it should be pretty easy.

Don't look at me...
biggrin.gif

On topic: I've never seen anyone wearing any "audiophile-grade" phones. But of course if I see something different I stare at people's ears to figure out what it is. So far no one has given me any dirty looks...

Oct 9, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #2,535 of 12,415

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah those get a little old. I think someone could do a great service if they could make a sticky or wiki with all the relevant info. I mean by now it should be pretty easy.

Don't look at me...
biggrin.gif

On topic: I've never seen anyone wearing any "audiophile-grade" phones. But of course if I see something different I stare at people's ears to figure out what it is. So far no one has given me any dirty looks...

Remeber audiophile grade means: T1, HD800, LCD-2, PS1000, or D7000.
XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back