Headphone recommendation
Aug 2, 2011 at 8:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

xDarkKn1ghtx

New Head-Fier
Any good phone recommendations?

I don't splurge much on headphones. My budget is around $150 or so.

I've went through a few models and found these few to my likings. Using them for lossless rock/pop music. Any comments?

Sennheiser HD448/HD438
Shure SHR 440
Audio Techica AD500

Personally a Sennheiser fan. Currently using a pair of HD201's.

I'm going to use a pair of amps with it in the near future. But even those are budget entry level ones. 

Aug 2, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #2 of 11
music you listen to please

Aug 2, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #5 of 11
Shure 840

since you don't need a amp and they are $135 on amazon at the moment

"positional sound" is no a term of soundstage because even Grado which are very forward are able to determine where the sounds come from.

Don't worry about leakage, my T50RP on my head at the moment leak so much sound I can use them as speakers. And they are closed, dampened and have custom leather pads.

Aug 2, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #6 of 11
Would the SRH840 pair well with amps? I'm getting one in the near future or even with the phone. I don't live in America so Amazon might be a little uneconomical to ship with. And the chances of it being stuck at my border. 

I'll source it out myself though.

Aug 2, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
Would the SRH840 pair well with amps? I'm getting one in the near future or even with the phone. I don't live in America so Amazon might be a little uneconomical to ship with. And the chances of it being stuck at my border. 

I'll source it out myself though.

Don't buy a amp, you don't need it with the right can

If you have any extra money saved for a amp, add it to your budget for a can or source.

The headphones you choose might need a amp, so then you buy a amp. You don't just buy a amp because you want one. The headphones you have will have to need them to get you to buy a amp.

Where do you live? Maybe you can go through regional stores

Aug 2, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #8 of 11

Quote:

If you have any extra money saved for a amp, add it to your budget for a can or source.

The headphones you choose might need a amp, so then you buy a amp. You don't just buy a amp because you want one. The headphones you have will have to need them to get you to buy a amp.

I just checked the price for the SRH840's through local online dealers. They're around $250.

I live in Malaysia.

Edit: I think I'll get them through Amazon. There are a few reputable agents who bulk order stuff from Amazon and then ship it here. Thanks :)

Aug 2, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
I just checked the price for the SRH840's through local online dealers. They're around $250.

I live in Malaysia.

Edit: I think I'll get them through Amazon. There are a few reputable agents who bulk order stuff from Amazon and then ship it here. Thanks :)

Oooo....

Can't help you there. Any Shure that you can pick up will be good and go ampless. If you can get the 440, go ahead. I thought you didn't know that you could pick up the 840 so cheap

AD500 would be bad, but A500 would be good. And still goes without a amp

sorry if I can't help you with your location

Aug 2, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #10 of 11

Quote:

BotByte -
while i applaud your recommendation of the Shure cans, i must remind anyone reading that achieving sufficient volume through a headphone is not synonymous with being properly amplified.
remember:  an amplifier doesn't just increase the signal to the transducer, it also endeavors to lose as little sonic information as possible.

and, as best i know, there isn't a portable player on the market, including those hifiman rigs, that conveys as much sonic information as a nice desktop amp.
why do i say all this?  because, anyone getting the Shure should be aware that they can upgrade source and amp - heck, anything upstream from the headphone - for quite a while before needing to upgrade the headphone.

lots of folks here get caught in the cycle of buying a "sensitive" headphone, and listening to it from their portable rig.  and when they tire of it, and decide they want better, they get another headphone.
when all along, hearing that same headphone from a stand-alone dac and fine desktop amp would be something of a revelation for them.

trust me.  i'm not saying this because i'm some kind of expert.
i'm saying it because it happened to me.

to the OP:  buy the shures. 
and enjoy them.  and when the funds allow, build a rig around them.  happiness awaits....

Aug 2, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #11 of 11

Quote:

BotByte -
while i applaud your recommendation of the Shure cans, i must remind anyone reading that achieving sufficient volume through a headphone is not synonymous with being properly amplified.
remember:  an amplifier doesn't just increase the signal to the transducer, it also endeavors to lose as little sonic information as possible.

and, as best i know, there isn't a portable player on the market, including those hifiman rigs, that conveys as much sonic information as a nice desktop amp.
why do i say all this?  because, anyone getting the Shure should be aware that they can upgrade source and amp - heck, anything upstream from the headphone - for quite a while before needing to upgrade the headphone.

lots of folks here get caught in the cycle of buying a "sensitive" headphone, and listening to it from their portable rig.  and when they tire of it, and decide they want better, they get another headphone.
when all along, hearing that same headphone from a stand-alone dac and fine desktop amp would be something of a revelation for them.

trust me.  i'm not saying this because i'm some kind of expert.
i'm saying it because it happened to me.

to the OP:  buy the shures. 
and enjoy them.  and when the funds allow, build a rig around them.  happiness awaits....

Well, unless someone has $1000 to spend I say get a amp and a $400 can

I mostly go around explaining why people don't need amps. Now a DAC doesn't hurt, but is not needed.

I see it as someone wants to get into something, they want A LOT of stuff and THINGS to surround them. But the best setup I find is a Clip+ 1gb with a SR80i and L-cush pads. Easy, isn't? It's the best and easiest set up that I have figured out and still eludes the starter "Audiophiles" here for just $100. Add a couple FLAC albums and enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back