HEADPHONE GURU'S!! recommend me the best over-ear headphone/AMP combo for a total of $600 [THANKS IN ADVANCE]
May 8, 2011 at 10:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Jabse

100+ Head-Fier
The combo has to be a total of $600 and this includes the used price in FS section as $600 used combo MAY be much better than new combo for $600.

Priorities

1. overall sound quality, it needs to sound like a high-end headphone transparent, great clarity, non sibilant
2. good bass response, it can't be lacking this department
3. sound stage must be decent
4. comfort, i don't want to experience discomfort after a few hours...

My computer will be the source and for the amp it doesnt have to be portable, it just has to be a great combo with the headphone in order to unleash its full potential, also you could say i mostly listen to techno/electric music opposed to classical etc

EDIT: i removed isolation/closed since ill be listening in a room my myself lol

May 8, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #2 of 7
Bose QC15 + Matrix M Stage, Ultrasone Pro 900 + iBasso P4, Denon D5000 + D6, W5000 + E9+E7.

May 8, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #3 of 7
I would suggest that you take a look at the thunderpants you can find them on the for sale forum for ~$400 ,
for the amplifier I suggest you look at a schiit amp if you can find one used that would be the best option.
Although if you currently do not have a dac I would suggest you take a look at the hlly smk-iii and matrix mini-i as these both have built in headphone amplifiers and very good dac's.
I personally really didn't like the Bose QC15 I thought that the active noise cancelling was very annoying and thought the hd25's were far superior for isolation.

May 8, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #4 of 7
You'll probably benefit greatly from buying a DAC, since you're using it with your computer.

FiiO E7/E9 is a nice starter (E7 = DAC, E9 = Amp).

Maybe HD600 to go with that

May 9, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #7 of 7
Asus Essence STX (extremely good value for money DAC + headphone amp for high impedance headphones) sound card and a used Sennheiser HD 600 or 650. I think you mean that you also need a DAC? If not, what´s your current sound card? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back