Headphone CSD waterfall plots
Nov 14, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #512 of 937

Fostex T20RP

If don't know if 200poundsofamp did any mods on these. I just had a quick listen. Not too bad.

Wow, a ton of junk from 8kHz to 20kHz. It doesn't sound as bad as it looks though. I didn't listen to them for very long though. 

Nov 16, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #515 of 937
Quote:
^What was the size of reflex dot ?
Were there any other mods applied apart from reflex dot, also is it the T20 from the current lineup or the vintage one ?

It's the older T20v2. My damping scheme is basically this, I just get get rid of the chamois and stuck a 3/8" plastic reflex dot to the back of the driver.

Some of that weird treble might just be the headphones fault, I don't know. But to my ears that reflex dot mostly boosted everything 7k and up, and that's right where it starts looking really weird.

Nov 17, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #517 of 937

Yamaha YH3

Been too busy lately to do much with pre-measurement impressions. These are neat little suckers though. No bass, too much high treble. Sounds like there is a suckout somewhere.

Very clean, little ringing. Lots of high treble, especially on the right channel. Been listening to LCD3s lately, haven't adjusted, so these are giving me a headache.

@200lbs: box should be heading back to you soon. Thank you.

Nov 17, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #519 of 937

Quote:
lol, like them that much huh?

There was a guy here who did a really thorough comparison of some studio headphones and was hearing pretty much the same thing as you.

Wow, so much going on in here! I'm that guy 200poundsofamp is referring to, and I'm having so much fun reading this post, although I understand that this has to be taken with a dose of scepticism and as another perspective to what you perceive with your ears, but it's really helpful and interesting. I'm glad there's someone who seems to know what he's talking about, and has graphs to prove it :) Thanks, Purrin. That's a nice relief, as I was stunned at how often people would recommend Grados or Shures, just because these cans are made to make you hear things more easily (as opposed to being even and balanced). And thanks to 200poundsofamp for getting back to me and letting me know about this thread! Will stick here and wait for more headphones measurements, as they provide a fresh perspective and a platform to compare your own impressions to. All the best!

Nov 18, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #520 of 937
Quote:

Yamaha YH3

Been too busy lately to do much with pre-measurement impressions. These are neat little suckers though. No bass, too much high treble. Sounds like there is a suckout somewhere.

Yeah, too bad those are probably the most bass lite YH-3s in the world, I really like the upper mids, and those tiny ortho drivers are crazy fast! I bet a bass heavy one would be pretty sweet sounding. If you can get a perfect seal the bass goes from nothing to decent, but they're still pretty lean.

That crazy treble peak can probably be fixed, looks like I went crazy overcompensating for that drop at 10k. I couldn't figure out where that harshness was coming from.

But those look decent, I tried differential dampening so that they'd actually have bass, and I was afraid it would come out really bizarre looking like those T20s. Still a little bit of distorted looking waviness in the upper mids and treble though, but maybe that's because I closed some vents. Maybe you need really even backpressure with orthos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjuodas /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Will stick here and wait for more headphones measurements, as they provide a fresh perspective and a platform to compare your own impressions to. All the best!

Yeah, it's really helpful actually seeing how things sounds. Except for that SRH840, which is possessed or something.

Nov 20, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #521 of 937
Yeah whenever I take my Sextetts to meets and plug them into beastly amps like yours I don't hear the grain.  Meet conditions probably mask some of that too though. 

i like hooking my sextetts directly to class A power amps speaker outputs. brings the deep bass extension and high treble extension out but then again i own only the LP version and i have it re-terminated with neutrik 4-pin XLR for speaker output use. same thing with my 240DF's that i have rewired for speaker output use. i use nothing but solid state with them though since i like stuff that is close to straight wire with gain type of sound(basically meaning i like amps with no sound of it's own).

i also know i bumped this thread but it's very interesting i think.

Nov 23, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #523 of 937

Quote:
those tiny ortho drivers are crazy fast!

They may be small compared to the new orthos, but they are the same size as the drivers you see in most traditional dynamic headphones around here.  So not really all that small.  It might be that the only reason ortho drivers are often made so much bigger is because they can- traditional electrodynamic drivers would break up at those sizes. 

Thanks for sending in the YH3!  Very cool to see, they're my favorite headphones.

Nov 27, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #524 of 937
Just curious, purrin, what volume do you measure at?  I'm not sure if it's a product of the Burson HA160D amp or the LCD2 R2s but when going to VERY high volumes, the upper mids become intollerable, and it spikes quickly.  I'm almost wondering if this is the resonance at 5k even more pronounced at high volumes.  Then again, could be the Burson as well, but something gets out of control pretty quickly past a certain volume (thankfully a very high one).

Nov 27, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #525 of 937
I can't see the Burson doing that. It's an extremely smooth sounding amp. I do know that I've heard three pairs of r2s, and all of them had treble resonances to varying extents. These resonances are usually tolerable at low to moderate volumes because the of the "Audeze shelf", but I can certainly see that when you really crank up the volume it becomes an issue.

I never listen at loud volumes though, which reminds me of something. Anaxilus (who listens at much louder volumes than me) mentioned that he felt the Burson ran out of steam on several occasions. He'll eventually see this post and respond.

BTW, I measure at 90db or a little bit more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back