Headphone CSD waterfall plots
Jun 4, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #676 of 937
Just a note. Caution with FR/CSDs on the IEMs. Even the pro-couplers state in their literature that they are not accurate above 8-10k. The couplers and tubes do introduce their own resonances.

Jun 4, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #677 of 937
Quote:
Just a note. Caution with FR/CSDs on the IEMs. Even the pro-couplers state in their literature that they are not accurate above 8-10k. The couplers and tubes do introduce their own resonances.

Do you know specifically in what way/to what to degree they're off?

Jun 5, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #679 of 937
Quote:
Could someone explain, or link to an explanation, of how to read these? Thanks in advance. 

The gist of it is that a theoretical perfectly accurate headphone would have a wall of sound for a moment then immediately drop off. If there is a long spike or chunk in the middle of the graph, that is a the headphone continuing to make sound after it technically should stop -- these are resonances. Resonances can have different effects on the sound -- a resonance in the treble can cause nasty sibilance. Resonances in the 1-3khz range can cause "shouty" vocals. If a headphone has a particularly clean waterfall CSD, it implies that it'll have better detail retrieval because there will be less sound resonating around. 

Jun 5, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #680 of 937
^ What Sanji said.

Perfection:

Although I'm putting it in extremely simplistic terms (the math behind it says more precisely what's going on), think of it as an sonic pulse consisting of all tones applied to a headphone. The plot shows the decay characteristics and lets us see if the driver does anything funny, like resonant at certain frequencies. It is, almost sort of, a frequency response over time (but not exactly.)

Jun 5, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #681 of 937
Quote:

The gist of it is that a theoretical perfectly accurate headphone would have a wall of sound for a moment then immediately drop off. If there is a long spike or chunk in the middle of the graph, that is a the headphone continuing to make sound after it technically should stop -- these are resonances. Resonances can have different effects on the sound -- a resonance in the treble can cause nasty sibilance. Resonances in the 1-3khz range can cause "shouty" vocals. If a headphone has a particularly clean waterfall CSD, it implies that it'll have better detail retrieval because there will be less sound resonating around. 

Perfect, thank you very much! 

Also thank you for doing the Ad2000, they don't get near enough love here.

Jun 5, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #682 of 937
LOL, the AD2000 has some extremely FAST decay from 5k onward. Some ringing at 4k, an area which is not that objectionable. Treble is relatively smooth with some minor ridges at 10kHz which I personally don't find objectionable either.

Jun 9, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #684 of 937
Not yet. There is a good possibility that I may buy them for myself. I liked the unit I heard at the Schiit booth at T.H.E SHOW. But I've heard that earlier versions sounded different. It's possible these had some teething issues which were eventually resolved  by HiFiMan. I had no problems with the unit I heard.

Jun 9, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #685 of 937
Quote:
Not yet. There is a good possibility that I may buy them for myself. I liked the unit I heard at the Schiit booth at T.H.E SHOW. But I've heard that earlier versions sounded different. It's possible these had some teething issues which were eventually resolved  by HiFiMan. I had no problems with the unit I heard.

I've read that HiFiMan explicitly states whether or not an HE-400 is rev. 1 or rev. 2 at sale.  Only visual cues are that the rev. 2 is terminated in mini instead of 1/4"

Jun 9, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #686 of 937
Quote:
I've read that HiFiMan explicitly states whether or not an HE-400 is rev. 1 or rev. 2 at sale.  Only visual cues are that the rev. 2 is terminated in mini instead of 1/4"

rev.2 is 1/8?  Interesting, guess that's kind of 'easier'.

Jun 9, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #687 of 937
Quote:

rev.2 is 1/8?  Interesting, guess that's kind of 'easier'.

AFAIK all shipped non-review non-prototype HE400s since January have 3.5mm termination with a 1/4'' adapter actually.

Anyway, looking forward to purrin's measurements then!

P.S. purrin, if you do buy the HE400s, you should request that they be shipped with velour pads instead of the default pleathers; that or get both and try each out. Over in our HE400 thread everyone is much more satisfied with the velour pads both in terms of comfort and in sonic qualities.

Jun 19, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #689 of 937
Can someone please explain the pics? I'm not exactly certain...

If headphones were TV screens, they want super fast refresh rate and perfect colour accuracy in reference to reality, no adjusted contrast, brightness, or pulsating purple lines.

So there you have an accurate TV, and one which makes purple and pink pulsate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back