Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Jan 27, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #12,467 of 12,592
The mids are neutral and not giving much emotion.
Yea I see how you could feel that way. I think it is always going to be a tradeoff. You only have so much bandwidth no matter what the driver materials or setup. Personally I find lower midbass and subass the most important so I am willing to lose a bit in the general midbass area.

Typically my other pairs are the Tripowin Mele, OH10, Blon bl03, and some other midbass heavy sets. Cant have it all....yet,.

Jan 27, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #12,468 of 12,592
Many audiophile people goes to more neutral sound signature, while that can be good with a few genres and songs. In my opinion the soul of the music is often in the Bass and Mids, its also like a drug. Once used to good boosted low end its hard to be without.

Jan 27, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #12,469 of 12,592
Aür Audio Neon Pro with the Bass switch on is also a good contender for a BA IEM with good boosted low end. Have not tested it yet waiting for my unit to arrive.
Screenshot 2023-01-27 223632.png
1d7120_19cc328e84e345debdb8a2769847c8f7_mv2.jpg
1d7120_8ad8d0c2e25945179c6bcf677791a951_mv2.jpg

Jan 27, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #12,470 of 12,592
So many good BA sets but some still don't think it can equal what a DD delivers...

Jan 28, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #12,471 of 12,592
Ikko OH10 is also often recommended, great build and looks. The bass here also goes away faster than what I prefer(to little mid bass energy).

A alternative I recently found out is Penon FAN, very similar to OH10 but fixes 2 key issues I have with OH10.

FAN has a more Audiophile type of bass, not excessive amount. Similar to OH10 but a little more and more mid bass slam.

FAN_2_E70.jpgScreenshot_20230127-061142.png
An interesting alternative to the OH10, I give away my OH10 last year so this Penon Fan might be the replacement, from your experience between the two the Fan and OH10 which is better overall, Thank you for your input

Jan 28, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #12,472 of 12,592
An interesting alternative to the OH10, I give away my OH10 last year so this Penon Fan might be the replacement, from your experience between the two the Fan and OH10 which is better overall, Thank you for your input
For me the FAN, but I am a Penon fanboy. I also prefer resin shells over metal. OH10 sounds shouty with some jazz or metal, its fine with most electronica.

Feb 2, 2023 at 2:44 AM Post #12,473 of 12,592
I have been looking for the best Wireless multipoint earbuds / iem alternatives for my IKKO OH10. I do love them. For my mid-fi ears, those are perfect for EDM (Techno / Trance) and moreover on the sub-bass part. Not so much on the mid bass. But you can EQ the sub bass at a level they never get moody and never overlapping mids and lower treble. The subbass are then fantastic, deep, bouncy and overwhelming. Still, vocals remains very very good. Nevertheless the IKKO's are heavy, and I cannot find a wireless 2 PIN adapter (I tried MMCX one (Shure TWS2) with an adapter - but i was not so happy as the IKKO are a few mm lower on the ear and that is not confortable (for my ears). On top of that I cannot find a multipoint wireless adapter. Nevertheless I have tried to find some alternatives. I own as well a QC version 1 (which is in my opinion far lower quality than the IKKOs).
- I have tried the QC 2 - No multipoint and not getting to the IKKO point on SQ
- I have tried the NuraTruePro. Well, those are excellent, but the only downpoint for me is that when I EQed the sub bass, I found that they become moody and not bouncing as the IKKO.
- I have tried the Maestro Mini. Well, my phone (Iphone 12, S10+) is not able to drive those because of the impedance. Volume is low bit still, I couldn't find the clarity of the IKKO's on all frequencies
- I have tried the Campfire MAMMOTH. Those are beast on mid bass. Mid basses are very present, IEMS are comfortable BUT when I EQ on the sub bass, the whole thing becomes moody.
Just to mention that I have tried all the tips supplied with the earbuds/iems. The only one I was happy are the AZLA Xelastec Tips which does really give a special focus to the SUB BASS.
What subbass head earbuds/iems would you recommend (budget 300 €/USD max) that could replace the IKKO and allow subbass Eqing the way the IKKO allows it maintainly quality and clarity on all frequencies ?

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 2:26 AM Post #12,475 of 12,592
For someone who listens the FostexTH900 and TH909, which IEMs bring the same exciting deep tight punchy slammy bass without loosing the mids and treble?
Do IE600 fill in the shoes?
Would say the IMR BC 2023(IMR is sold out but Penon will have a listing for them soon).

If I remember the TH900 MK1 it has great slam and sub bass extension, with fast bass(fast decay). Only had IMR BC for a few days still doing the recommended burn in, compared to some other IEMs with great bass this is more high end sounding. What it does great is giving full clear mids and treble, with great low end. The low end has slam, speed, depth and good bass detail. still for some music maybe to much for me.

I get killed for saying this OH10 is often recommended as IEM with great low end, still I am not happy with the one I owned. Weird tonality and harsh.

ISN EST50 is also a great bass IEM, but it is more different than TH900. The pina gain is less in the EST50 so its relaxed. Bass is more organic and has more decay than BC 2023, also compared to BC the EST50 raises the bass more slowly so its more sub bass than mid bass.

Still its 2 years since i had the TH900 for loan, so take all this as it is. I remember the bass and treble as the highlight of them, fun for specially electronica.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #12,477 of 12,592
Hi, does anyone here have suggestions for sub 200 sets? I wouldn't mind having to EQ, and would probably prefer that over a stock bassy response since I could get exactly the bass response I want by EQing. Currently the EX800ST looks to be the most attractive option, but I would like to know if there are anything else to consider too within the price bracket

Apr 1, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #12,479 of 12,592
Hi, does anyone here have suggestions for sub 200 sets? I wouldn't mind having to EQ, and would probably prefer that over a stock bassy response since I could get exactly the bass response I want by EQing. Currently the EX800ST looks to be the most attractive option, but I would like to know if there are anything else to consider too within the price bracket
EX800ST is the only set which my ears were not ready for. Its subbass is the perfect mixture of air pressure and rumbling sound. Highly recommended.

Apr 1, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #12,480 of 12,592
Has anyone tested the 7hz Legato yet?
I have, but it's limited and my ears are fairly untrained. What I will say tonality wise in the low end is, Subbass is definitely ver present, but I didn't find the midbass to be that strong overall.
Edit: Forgot to mention, but it was just a quick 15 minute session at CanJam SG, and therefore didn't really spend much time with it, so take what I say with a grain of salt

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back