Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Dec 19, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #9,991 of 12,592
I could see where the confusion lies... You said they were garbage 2 pages ago, but we're praising them elsewhere, for whatever reason. I didn't see your original post praising them, just the quoted portions, so perhaps it was taken out of context. Calling them garbage and praising them, what I thought was pretty high, seems a little confusing.

I've read they were great for the price. I've heard they were for bassheads, and they weren't. Hawaiibadboy said the 5s are, so that's good enough for me.

On a different note, the Ibasso are very good iems. I'm enjoying the it03. I haven't done any direct comparisons yet, but they definitely hit hard, are clear, no audible mid bass bleed, and treble extends nice. More impressions coming.

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #9,994 of 12,592

It might be hard to quantify since it is between IEM and Headphone... How would you rate Vmoda M100 against TFZ 5s in terms of bass quantity & slam?

The m100 can shake your face but the TFZ and other IEM can pour low freq notes directly at the ear drum. The TFZ and others would be measuring higher dB at the eardrum no doubt but over ears will shake the face and that is a must have.
I like the Moda. Kinda dark sounding but with XL pads and a good amp and eq they slam. Difference between the two types comes down to lifestyle. IMO

Dec 20, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #9,995 of 12,592

It might be hard to quantify since it is between IEM and Headphone... How would you rate Vmoda M100 against TFZ 5s in terms of bass quantity & slam?

The m100 can shake your face but the TFZ and other IEM can pour low freq notes directly at the ear drum. The TFZ and others would be measuring higher dB at the eardrum no doubt but over ears will shake the face and that is a must have.
I like the Moda. Kinda dark sounding but with XL pads and a good amp and eq they slam. Difference between the two types comes down to lifestyle. IMO

Thank you very much for detailed comparison. Very helpful :) I will check out M100~

Dec 20, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #9,996 of 12,592

Thank you very much for detailed comparison. Very helpful :) I will check out M100~

I have the VMODA M100, they really are brilliant, not only great bass but soundstage is pretty decent and the mids and highs arent too shabby either. The portability factor of them is nice as they fold down into a case that beggars belief! 

I have not heard them with the XL pads, I put a little cotton tube under the pads to increase the depth as my ears got a little hot and uncomfortable otherwise, do they alter the sound then?

Onto IEM's...are Audio Technicas new ones any good...I have the ATH-CKS77 that are decent but pretty old now. 

Dec 20, 2016 at 6:56 AM Post #9,997 of 12,592
I'm finally gonna pull the trigger on these for myself. I went back to find the old discussion of EX1000 versions, but just wanted to ask, is there any reason I shouldn't go for this? Looks like the cheapest on eBay that is new. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-MDR-EX1000-Closed-up-In-Ear-Headphones-Japan-Domestic-Version-New-/331859531330?hash=item4d445e9642:g:u-YAAOSwdWBXPVF9

Thanks 
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #9,998 of 12,592
  I'm finally gonna pull the trigger on these for myself. I went back to find the old discussion of EX1000 versions, but just wanted to ask, is there any reason I shouldn't go for this? Looks like the cheapest on eBay that is new. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-MDR-EX1000-Closed-up-In-Ear-Headphones-Japan-Domestic-Version-New-/331859531330?hash=item4d445e9642:g:u-YAAOSwdWBXPVF9

Thanks 
biggrin.gif

Could not think of any reason not to since it is one of the finest IEM from Sony...  :)

Dec 20, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #9,999 of 12,592

I have the VMODA M100, they really are brilliant, not only great bass but soundstage is pretty decent and the mids and highs arent too shabby either. The portability factor of them is nice as they fold down into a case that beggars belief! 

I have not heard them with the XL pads, I put a little cotton tube under the pads to increase the depth as my ears got a little hot and uncomfortable otherwise, do they alter the sound then?

Onto IEM's...are Audio Technicas new ones any good...I have the ATH-CKS77 that are decent but pretty old now. 

Thank you for sharing your feedback on M100. Great to know. How does it improve comfort by adding cotton tube under the pads? Can you wear it 3~4 hours comfortably without removing it from head?

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #10,000 of 12,592

Thank you for sharing your feedback on M100. Great to know. How does it improve comfort by adding cotton tube under the pads? Can you wear it 3~4 hours comfortably without removing it from head?

I found the stock pads to be a little shallow, coming from some beyerdynamic dt 770 my ears were not used to touching the drivers and they got a little sore/hot. Adding the cotton (rolled up bandage)  just gave my ears a little more space and yes I can wear for hours without removing as i find them comfy now. Another plus point is the crazy durability...I had a forklift truck drive over them and they work perfectly after straightening the headband out...truly nuts. 

On topic my KZ ZS3 arrived and first impressions I'm v impressed. Bass is definitely there once you get the right seal, these are bringing me a massive smile. V happy. So surprised with the mids, female vocals are great! 
etysmile.gif
 Sad I have to put them back in the box until Christmas now as this was just to test they work lol
$8 is daylight robbery! 
http://www.gearbest.com/on-ear-over-ear-headphones/pp_436717.html
$8 for a nice cable...stock one is pretty decent tbf too.  
https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/For-KZ-ZS3-ZST-ED12-Earphone-Replace-Cable-Original-KZ-Cable-2pin-0-75-mm-Upgraded/32732635460.html?detailNewVersion=&categoryId=63705

EDIT: Bass is not just there...bass is so damn good, seal is v important with these! 

Dec 20, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #10,001 of 12,592

I found the stock pads to be a little shallow, coming from some beyerdynamic dt 770 my ears were not used to touching the drivers and they got a little sore/hot. Adding the cotton (rolled up bandage)  just gave my ears a little more space and yes I can wear for hours without removing as i find them comfy now. Another plus point is the crazy durability...I had a forklift truck drive over them and they work perfectly after straightening the headband out...truly nuts. 

On topic my KZ ZS3 arrived and first impressions I'm v impressed. Bass is definitely there once you get the right seal, these are bringing me a massive smile. V happy. So surprised with the mids, female vocals are great! 
etysmile.gif
 Sad I have to put them back in the box until Christmas now as this was just to test they work lol
$8 is daylight robbery! 
http://www.gearbest.com/on-ear-over-ear-headphones/pp_436717.html
$8 for a nice cable...stock one is pretty decent tbf too.  
https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/For-KZ-ZS3-ZST-ED12-Earphone-Replace-Cable-Original-KZ-Cable-2pin-0-75-mm-Upgraded/32732635460.html?detailNewVersion=&categoryId=63705

EDIT: Bass is not just there...bass is so damn good, seal is v important with these! 

Thank you for showing the photo. Got the idea. :)
My KZ ZS3 is on its way but will arrive after X-mas. No biggy. Keen to try this budget Chi-Fi. 

Dec 20, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #10,002 of 12,592
Thank you for showing the photo. Got the idea. :)
My KZ ZS3 is on its way but will arrive after X-mas. No biggy. Keen to try this budget Chi-Fi. 

If you aren't impressed straight away, try playing around with different tips to make sure you hear the Zs3 with the correct seal. I am using sony hybrid on the left and stock medium on the right, havent had a problem with most IEM's getting a good seal but the custom kind of shape seems sensitive when u first insert, after u get the seal you will know what I mean its hard trying to explain haha

Good luck 

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #10,003 of 12,592
Just thought I would ask, my ex800st have been delivered, when I get home from work, how do you execute the vent mod, as in, is the hole a piercing or isit a small hole as though its been punctured with a ball point pen?

Anybody here, not bother piercing the tape? What is the acoustic difference between pierced vent tape and non pierced? Cheers

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #10,004 of 12,592
Just thought I would ask, my ex800st have been delivered, when I get home from work, how do you execute the vent mod, as in, is the hole a piercing or isit a small hole as though its been punctured with a ball point pen?

Anybody here, not bother piercing the tape? What is the acoustic difference between pierced vent tape and non pierced? Cheers

There is an image in this thread and it shows the vent covering only raising the sub-bass/bass. Mids are fine but stage is a tad less. The graph was done by someone not on this site a few years ago. The tape being punctured might prevent driver flexing when you put it in your ears though

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #10,005 of 12,592
 There is an image in this thread and it shows the vent covering only raising the sub-bass/bass. Mids are fine but stage is a tad less. The graph was done by someone not on this site a few years ago. The tape being punctured might prevent driver flexing when you put it in your ears though
cheers bro, will search the thread now for that pic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back