Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Sep 5, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #9,004 of 12,597
Hi guys!

So I'm looking at upgrading my IEMs. I had the Shure SE-535, and didn't really like the sound sig. But appreciated their clarity and speed.

Truth be told, I tend to love bass and a warm sound sig. I am currently using an LCD-3 as my main can. But I also have an HD-800 for clarity. So I try to cover both my bases.

On to the IEM. So I basically realized what is missing, is having an IEM with bass. I'm currently torn between the Sony 800st and the Aurisonics.

Only thing is, seems like the ASG line is discontinued. And I can only get the Harmony line on Amazon. Between those two, which should I get?

I should point out, I don't plan on using a DAC/AMP for this. I do have a Chord Mojo and a Schiit Lyr/Bifrost. But I use my full headsets for these. I want my IEMs for my iPhone and my tablet/games. But I will listen to music mostly witn them.

I do know the Sony needs some EQ and power to truly get the best out of the bass. But I'm okay only getting some without using an amp if it's still decent out of the box.

Or is there another IEM you guys would recommend given my needs/situation? I also know the Sony needs to have the vent taped. And that's easy enough.

I appreciate any help or suggestions. I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on the Sony 800, but held off because
I don't plant on amping them. And I'm unsure about the Harmony IEM. I should also say, I don't like super high/harsh treble. Certain highs can give me fatigue.

Sep 5, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #9,006 of 12,597
  Even after taping the vent the 800 has a better mid and treble than the ASG  ( 2.5)  If you like the HD 800 but want more bass then it's the 800 as it has a wide stage as well as bass and the ASG do not.  For specifics go check out their thread

Thanks for the quick reply. Very interesting.

I forgot to mention that, I had to do some EQ on my HD-800, because I was getting ear fatigue because of a peak on the higher frequencies. And certain sound sigs with harsh treble, can also give me fatigue. Has the Sony 800 ever been known to cause fatigue for anyone?

I know that's kind of a hard question to answer, given everyone is different (in terms of which sound sigs they prefer). Since I don't plan on EQ or amping my IEM, just wanted to make sure the Sony wasn't too harsh. Basically, I'm just getting an IEM for bass. I would think that taping the vent would also tone down the treble too?

Sorry if my post is fumbling. I really appreciate the help. I guess I should read up a bit more on the sound sigs of these IEM's. I have the SE-535 (although I don't use it that much anymore), and that didn't give me fatigue (not sure how alike the 535 is and the Sony 800 sound sig wise). 

Anyways, I'll go look for the thread and read up on it more. Thanks for the help.

Sep 6, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #9,008 of 12,597

Thanks for the quick reply. Very interesting.

I forgot to mention that, I had to do some EQ on my HD-800, because I was getting ear fatigue because of a peak on the higher frequencies. And certain sound sigs with harsh treble, can also give me fatigue. Has the Sony 800 ever been known to cause fatigue for anyone?

I know that's kind of a hard question to answer, given everyone is different (in terms of which sound sigs they prefer). Since I don't plan on EQ or amping my IEM, just wanted to make sure the Sony wasn't too harsh. Basically, I'm just getting an IEM for bass. I would think that taping the vent would also tone down the treble too?

Sorry if my post is fumbling. I really appreciate the help. I guess I should read up a bit more on the sound sigs of these IEM's. I have the SE-535 (although I don't use it that much anymore), and that didn't give me fatigue (not sure how alike the 535 is and the Sony 800 sound sig wise). 

Anyways, I'll go look for the thread and read up on it more. Thanks for the help.

No the 800 are rolled except for a late peak for airy sound but they are not fatigue inducing. The EX1000 can cause fatigue but the 800 are opposite. I keep them both because of that difference and what i want at the moment. The cable sucks.Prone to tangle. I hated it so changed it. Sounds great cable sucks

Sep 6, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #9,010 of 12,597
BB808 and several others are from or in the 808. I am in Japan and miss it a lot. Will be returning to my crib in Waik's.
Waikiki used to be CRAAAZY!

lowrider mini pick ups and VW's cruising down kuhio on Saturday nights then coming back up Ala wai with full bassmode on. You could hear that **** all the way up to Tantalus. They got heavy with the noise laws around 1995 and I owe over $18,000 in fines. They had a law where they could confiscate your audio gear but that was stopped but the doubling of fines on repeat offenses of the noise pollution/disturbing the peace laws got expensive. I used to be connected to Island Security and Sound.

Good times.

Enjoy a Plate lunch for me.  Hold off on mojo maybe and any purchases as the Fall to Christmas release schedule will mean a lot of new possible options. RHA has a new amp/DAC coming as do some other companies. If new stuff comes you can get that or folks on here that are slave to the hobby will sell off Mojo and the like to get new gear and you can get a great piece of gear for much less than regular. Keep an eye on the For sale section and if they got a good rep and they got what you want you can score.

Or just spend money. Most folks in here have dropped $10,000 the past year easy on gear.
[/quote]

Will do on the plate lunch :punch:. Thats a hell of alot of tickets! The most fun i got out my subs was setting car alarms off in highschool at the top of ward parking and watching the security on bicycles rush up to find no one there.:joy::joy:.

Ill wait on the mojo per your advice i got the U8's for a deal so dont wanna lose the streak yet. Also if you still know anyone at security and sound im gonna be shipping my car back soon and need some things checked out and probably replaced.

Sep 7, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #9,012 of 12,597
Have to thank you guys for recommending the Sony ex800ST. The tape mod was really easy, and the bass is indeed amazing. Even without a DAC/AMP (just from my phone). I can't even imagine how crazy it could get with my Chord Mojo. I currently use my DAC/AMPs for my bigger headphones like my LCD-3 and HD800. So I really just wanted these IEMs for working out and being out and about.

But I'm extremely impressed by their sound. I've paid $400 + before on an IEM, and I think these easily pass them. I was really weary given I've been used to having triple/quad drivers. But this Sony is amazing. Not only is the bass as impacting as everyone said, it's soundstage + clarity is really impressive. 

I guess I'm so used to  IEM's having bigger houses, or sporting different driver types. So I wasn't sure what to expect here. But it's really blowing my away. Only gripe I have is the cable. Like you guys said, it's...kind of cheap. And it's a shame there isn't other cables I can just swap out with ease. But oh well. I should also say, these are also one of the first times, I've really loved something out of the box. Usually I have to spend a couple days with my headphones before I can get a feel for it. But these Sony's really shine right out of the box (especially the bass).

Thank you guys so much! <3

- Emily

Sep 7, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #9,013 of 12,597
  Have to thank you guys for recommending the Sony ex800ST. The tape mod was really easy, and the bass is indeed amazing. Even without a DAC/AMP (just from my phone). I can't even imagine how crazy it could get with my Chord Mojo. I currently use my DAC/AMPs for my bigger headphones like my LCD-3 and HD800. So I really just wanted these IEMs for working out and being out and about.

But I'm extremely impressed by their sound. I've paid $400 + before on an IEM, and I think these easily pass them. I was really weary given I've been used to having triple/quad drivers. But this Sony is amazing. Not only is the bass as impacting as everyone said, it's soundstage + clarity is really impressive. 

I guess I'm so used to  IEM's having bigger houses, or sporting different driver types. So I wasn't sure what to expect here. But it's really blowing my away. Only gripe I have is the cable. Like you guys said, it's...kind of cheap. And it's a shame there isn't other cables I can just swap out with ease. But oh well. I should also say, these are also one of the first times, I've really loved something out of the box. Usually I have to spend a couple days with my headphones before I can get a feel for it. But these Sony's really shine right out of the box (especially the bass).

- Emily

Thank You for sharing your impressions.

They can take a lot of power if need be.
Enjoy!!!!!!

Sep 8, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #9,014 of 12,597
  Have to thank you guys for recommending the Sony ex800ST.
The tape mod was really easy, and the bass is indeed amazing. Even without a DAC/AMP (just from my phone). I can't even imagine how crazy it could get with my Chord Mojo. I currently use my DAC/AMPs for my bigger headphones like my LCD-3 and HD800. So I really just wanted these IEMs for working out and being out and about.

I guess I'm so used to  IEM's having bigger houses, or sporting different driver types. So I wasn't sure what to expect here. But it's really blowing my away.
Only gripe I have is the cable. Like you guys said, it's...kind of cheap. And it's a shame there isn't other cables I can just swap out with ease. But oh well. I should also say, these are also one of the first times, I've really loved something out of the box. Usually I have to spend a couple days with my headphones before I can get a feel for it. But these Sony's really shine right out of the box (especially the bass).

- Emily

Everything you said.
Including the crap cable.
I also went big multiple driver, hybrid, etc and am now spending most money on cables due to the Sony just nailing the ex800/1000. 
They will have lots of pretty cables though. Gotta spend that money
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back