Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Aug 10, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #8,687 of 12,592
I recently bought a pair of Sony MDR-XB90's to replace my falling apart Mee M6's. So far I am happy with them but their bass is not as overpowering as I was hoping they would be. I would characterize them as being quite similar to the M6's, but with moderately better deep-bass and somewhat better soundstage, but otherwise similar in sound characteristics. The midrange/treble is a bit more clear, but considering they cost 4-5 times as much as the M6's I would hope that would be the case.

I do also like their cable - it is a soft rubbery flat cable which manages to not produce any microphonics unless it brushes against my collar. It is nice having straight-down IEMs again, the around-the-ear kind are a bit of a hassle to use at work when I have to put them on and off many times.

Aug 10, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #8,688 of 12,592
I recently bought a pair of Sony MDR-XB90's to replace my falling apart Mee M6's. So far I am happy with them but their bass is not as overpowering as I was hoping they would be. I would characterize them as being quite similar to the M6's, but with moderately better deep-bass and somewhat better soundstage, but otherwise similar in sound characteristics. The midrange/treble is a bit more clear, but considering they cost 4-5 times as much as the M6's I would hope that would be the case.

I do also like their cable - it is a soft rubbery flat cable which manages to not produce any microphonics unless it brushes against my collar. It is nice having straight-down IEMs again, the around-the-ear kind are a bit of a hassle to use at work when I have to put them on and off many times.

I don't own the XB90s, but I've read in this thread numerous times that amping and EQing will make the bass come out.

Out of the plastic, my EX800s have pretty good bass. Add an amp, clean source, some tape and EQ, your eardrums will bleed. If you can, try to push the XB90s. It sounds like they've got a lot more under the hood.

Aug 10, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #8,689 of 12,592
I don't own the XB90s, but I've read in this thread numerous times that amping and EQing will make the bass come out.

Out of the plastic, my EX800s have pretty good bass. Add an amp, clean source, some tape and EQ, your eardrums will bleed. If you can, try to push the XB90s. It sounds like they've got a lot more under the hood.

I use them mainly at work on my iphone so amping/eq is not an option at the moment, unless I get a cheap one like the Fiio E6 or something. I tested them at home on my PC (which has a soundcard) and did not notice any significant difference in power or output compared to my phone, which I usually can tell with full size headphones (e.g. my Denon AHD-1100's sound weak on my phone but bass is good on PC soundcard).

Aug 10, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #8,692 of 12,592
Gotcha. Maybe you're just needing something that doesn't need an amp. I'll leave that to someone else though as there are many with more informed opinions or advice than me.

There is a list towards the end of the first post in this thread of bass IEMs that do well with no amping.

Aug 10, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #8,694 of 12,592

If you are referring to the M6-Pro's, then my opinion is quite different than yours.

I own both the MEE M6-Pro and the MDR-XB90's...I also own a pair of the MDR-EX800ST too (with tape mod).
The M6-Pro has mid-level bass and clear highs, but the XB90's have sub bass...plus warm mids and clear highs.
I think the M6-Pro is more for "studio/stage" and the EX90's are made for bassheads or anyone who enjoys deep bass without sacrificing the rest of the spectrum's frequencies and soundstage.

I would highly recommend that you try them with a more powerful amp and really enjoy what the EX90's can bring to your ears!

Aug 10, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #8,695 of 12,592

If you are referring to the M6-Pro's, then my opinion is quite different than yours.

I own both the MEE M6-Pro and the MDR-XB90's...I also own a pair of the MDR-EX800ST too (with tape mod).
The M6-Pro has mid-level bass and clear highs, but the XB90's have sub bass...plus warm mids and clear highs.
I think the M6-Pro is more for "studio/stage" and the EX90's are made for bassheads or anyone who enjoys deep bass without sacrificing the rest of the spectrum's frequencies and soundstage.

I would highly recommend that you try them with a more powerful amp and really enjoy what the EX90's can bring to your ears!

I agree with your characterization of the difference between them, my point was just that the difference isn't enormous - they are in similar ballpark of sound signature.

Aug 10, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #8,697 of 12,592
I have an ear health/basshead question:
I've overstimulated my ears with bass. Is there a good way to recover from ear soreness and tinnitus? Complete silence? Over the ear headphones? Time period? Just curious as I've seen others mention struggling with this problem.

Aug 10, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #8,698 of 12,592
I have an ear health/basshead question:
I've overstimulated my ears with bass. Is there a good way to recover from ear soreness and tinnitus? Complete silence? Over the ear headphones? Time period? Just curious as I've seen others mention struggling with this problem.

Unfortunately just wait with as much silence as possible.

Sometimes after using the SZ2000 or 7550 for too long really hard for a long time (usually with the SZ) i get the ears ringing effect like if you  are at a super loud concert and the music suddenly stops and you get that ear ringing.

I have tinnitus too and there is no really any better remedy than waiting.+ not further punishing your ears with more sound. Even earbuds, over ears, stereo, someone talking too loud right in your face are all avoidable things that will prolong your ear soreness. (had it since being in elementary school, i remember the doctors being like you're too young to have tinnitus,  this isn't possible!)

after a while of silence you'll notice your ears get more relaxed and then you can start listening again. you will know immediately if your ears are like "stop this i'm trying to get better"...

Aug 10, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #8,699 of 12,592
Unfortunately just wait with as much silence as possible.

Sometimes after using the SZ2000 or 7550 for too long really hard for a long time (usually with the SZ) i get the ears ringing effect like if you  are at a super loud concert and the music suddenly stops and you get that ear ringing.

I have tinnitus too and there is no really any better remedy than waiting.+ not further punishing your ears with more sound. Even earbuds, over ears, stereo, someone talking too loud right in your face are all avoidable things that will prolong your ear soreness. (had it since being in elementary school, i remember the doctors being like you're too young to have tinnitus,  this isn't possible!)

after a while of silence you'll notice your ears get more relaxed and then you can start listening again. you will know immediately if your ears are like "stop this i'm trying to get better"...

Thanks, that's exactly what's happening with me. Quiet it is.

Aug 10, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #8,700 of 12,592
QuantumPion

get fiio a1 amp it has like two bass boosts and is about 30 euro, you need eq and bass amp for xb90 I keep banging on about it science last year ppl still don't get it. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back