Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Aug 7, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #8,657 of 12,592

xb90 if you have an amp and use eq.

I 2nd this rec
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #8,660 of 12,592

Alright, tried replacing the jacking it was the issue for my left side dropout but turned out that XB90EX is dead. I used to wear em' at the gym and running, possibly sweat short it out? I think it's time for the EX800ST, any custom cable that you recommend?

@PETEREK is making them now.

EX800 and EX1000 use same cable.

Aug 7, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #8,661 of 12,592
my current bass head setup

better bass and mids and highs than trinity delta.

this is best bass head setup up till now that doesn't need a bass amp. although 4 ohm zuperdac helps in bass being for 32 ohm iems

Aug 7, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #8,662 of 12,592
Anyone with a broken xb90ex not being used please contact me.

I gave my (fully working) 90ex to a friend but I have been wanting to make a recable tutorial for a long time now, if I can get my hands on a broken xb90 I promise to make a youtube on how to recable it. Newbie friendly

Aug 7, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #8,663 of 12,592
sorry sold xb90ex a while ago, that xb90 is ex hihi but it gotta sound better with better purity metal cable considering you can buy occ single crysta copper cable from ali express for only about 10 euro it's a good start it makes every iem I throw at it sounds way way better should do same for xb90ex
makes bass head iems comparisons way more difficult cause you need to own both with better cable to make any proper comparisons otherwise would be just biased, plus resale value would diminish to nothing with new cable even if it sounds a 100 times better, de way market is

Aug 7, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #8,664 of 12,592
sorry sold xb90ex a while ago, that xb90 is ex hihi but it gotta sound better with better purity metal cable considering you can buy occ single crysta copper cable from ali express for only about 10 euro it's a good start it makes every iem I throw at it sounds way way better should do same for xb90ex

I have a bunch of that sommer peacock i love so much (2 thread members have diy kits i forgot to include instruction sheets in) but I also have a ready made cable exactly as you describe, with a 3 button mic built in, paid $9 for it. It is what i will use in the video. I figured when you can buy a ready made cable which just needs attachment to the headphone itself it would be the way most people looking to recable their sony and need assistance in the process would do.

Who knows even maybe we will see a bunch of new DIY-ers making their modding debuts with the xb90ex iem?

Aug 7, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #8,665 of 12,592
may be, but defo better cable does sound better. may be getting some mmcx connectors solve issues with replugging cables but mmcx connectors also have its own metals which would introduce their own sound. and may be there are better sodder that make a better joint for audio transfer. but just buying ofc or single crystal cable silver or copper is a huge step up from regular cable. it's gotta upgrade xb90ex in a good way probably will lift somewhat muffled mids and highs issues and crispen up de bbbass

Aug 7, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #8,669 of 12,592

You can spends thousands and go through multiple iems and never find the perfect one.  But, you can get a good set and make it so its perfect for you.

No matter which set you get, if it does bass well, any music with bass in it will do good on it.

With that being said, you seem like a person that is willing to put in the work to get the best out of set.  Which means you will use eq or learn how to eq.

I will rec the sony 7550/800st and a fiio e18 for a dac/amp.

its a beast of a set that you can mold it and shape it to your liking.  Do a search on this thread on it and you will get an idea of its capabilities.

I already read first page posts (and rankings) and also skimmed through lasth pages of the thread and I was already leaning towards 7550/800st. I believe that anything I will buy would be a tremendous improvement over my current portable setup (stock Nokia headphones lol). Before I didn't have time and money to invest in a good setup. 

Are there any advantages in buying a more expensive DAC/AMP (eg. OPPO ha2 or incoming FiiO Q5) or should I be buying the one that can the best produce the sound I'm after? I'm willing to spend more on the components that I can also use in possible future setups. :D

Also, are there any EU sources to buy 7550/800st?

Thanks!

Aug 7, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #8,670 of 12,592

I already read first page posts (and rankings) and also skimmed through lasth pages of the thread and I was already leaning towards 7550/800st. I believe that anything I will buy would be a tremendous improvement over my current portable setup (stock Nokia headphones lol). Before I didn't have time and money to invest in a good setup. 

Are there any advantages in buying a more expensive DAC/AMP (eg. OPPO ha2 or incoming FiiO Q5) or should I be buying the one that can the best produce the sound I'm after?

Also, are there any EU sources to buy 7550/800st?

Thanks!

I don't know how the ha2 stacks up, c5 is usually more recommended because i think it has output power (dont know, not enough time to check).you should buy the stuff that sounds best to you even if its a minidisc player or an audiophile approved PS1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back