Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Apr 14, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #6,167 of 12,592

So just received my 1964 A8 today.  And my first impression was one word: amazing, my jaw dropped after I fired up my fav EDM / Trance / Bass tracks.  The Bass and sub-bass is just as good as the Universal ASG-2.5.  AT first I was kinda worry about the Bass of the A8 for being all BAs. 

But after a few hours of listening, I can tell you guys that the bass from these BAs rival the bass from the asg-2.5 dyanamic driver.
I don't know if it is because of it being a Custom IEM, the ADEL module, newer and bigger bass BA drivers, or a combination of all of that, but the Bass and sub Bass is just as good as the ASG-2.5.  The bass on these A8 dig deep, big, and a lot more detail than ASG-2.5
The mids and highs are also way better than the ASG-2.5.

I almost order the Custom 2.5 from Andy @ Aurisonics, because I was skeptical about these A8 for being all BAs while I was waiting for it to be done by 1964 during last week.  But I was like nah, I'll give the A8 a try first, and then see if I have to order
the Custom 2.5 after, it still not be too late.

And bam, I got the A8 in the mail today and boy, I was wrong about BA drivers being not so good for Bass.  Because I always thought BA driver can not be this good compare to a Dynamic driver.  It was always something that I wanted to find out, and I'm sure alot of other ppl want to know also.  These Bass BAs (4 of them ) are so good that I don't know what 1964 did to them, maybe they're newer and bigger compare to the ones that came out couple years ago.
But wow, I was amazed at the Bass response.

I am in the process of writing a review for my A8, I will post it within couple more days cause I need more time to test out the A8 more.  But so far first impressions was amazing!

It is true, the 2.5 with ports closed and no boost is kind of balanced but still has quantity.  Its when you turn them into beast mode, that there is no rival.

I like the U8s, it's refined, its tight, its quick,  its...planer bass in a iem.  Now I know why the draw to BAs.  Would I trade them for the 7550 or ex1000, no.  they are different and i like it.

Apr 14, 2016 at 3:18 AM Post #6,168 of 12,592
So earlier today I was out doing some shopping when I noticed some Soundblaster E5's for $199 tax included, so I bought one cause they have 30 day return and you guys were talking about how good the bass is on it
biggrin.gif

At first things sounded pretty muddy and ridiculous, then I remembered I had my +18dB EQ on:

So I switched SBX off and let my crazy EQ pump through the E5 as both amp and DAC (instead of using my ODAC like I usually do).

Well one thing is for sure and that's that I've never heard my ASG-B rumble so much with any amp I've used. This is pretty ridiculous!

On bass lighter tracks or with a less aggressive EQ than what's shown above (like if I'm using it on line out with my Xduoo X3 for example) SBX is MORE than welcome. SBX does a really nice job of beefing up the low end crazy hard. SBX in conjunction with the EQ posted above is just way too much. It pushes the ASG-B to their absolute limits. Nothing but sine-like sub rumble. However I'll need to do more listening testing with the E5 as just an amp, as I've been using it as a combo amp/DAC to get a sense for the quality of the DAC (which is really nice to be honest, wish I could say I hear the difference in this and my ODAC but I really don't)

I'm going to have to spend some more time with it but it may be a winner considering it's portable and a DAC as well as amp. It's not on the same level as the Mojo because, one, the Mojo costs as much as 3 E5's, and two, the Mojo is all about being ridiculously bit perfect and SBX annihilates any notion of that. Yes you can turn SBX off, but if you're not into EQing, you can let SBX do the work for you and you'll be happy. It's a hell of a lot better than the C5's bass boost and gets you in that "sweet spot" immediately versus the Arrow 5TX which can give you that sweet spot but only with a lot of flicking of switches.

It's a little weird still to me how the volume knob works (freely rotating digital encoder) but doesn't even have clicky steps and has a lot less resistance than I'd expect. Not a huge issue though.

Is it a magic bass enhancing box? Possibly. Very very possible. More testing is required but it handles EQ like a champ and SBX can make even an un-EQ'd line out signal a bass bomber.

Apr 14, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #6,169 of 12,592

It is true, the 2.5 with ports closed and no boost is kind of balanced but still has quantity.  Its when you turn them into beast mode, that there is no rival.

I like the U8s, it's refined, its tight, its quick,  its...planer bass in a iem.  Now I know why the draw to BAs.  Would I trade them for the 7550 or ex1000, no.  they are different and i like it.

Right on man, the Bass in BA is a lot quicker, faster, and tighter than dynamic.  You got this spot on man, exactly, it's like Planarmagnetic Bass for Headphone, but for iem.

Apr 14, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #6,170 of 12,592
  So earlier today I was out doing some shopping when I noticed some Soundblaster E5's for $199 tax included, so I bought one cause they have 30 day return and you guys were talking about how good the bass is on it
biggrin.gif

At first things sounded pretty muddy and ridiculous, then I remembered I had my +18dB EQ on:

So I switched SBX off and let my crazy EQ pump through the E5 as both amp and DAC (instead of using my ODAC like I usually do).

Well one thing is for sure and that's that I've never heard my ASG-B rumble so much with any amp I've used. This is pretty ridiculous!

On bass lighter tracks or with a less aggressive EQ than what's shown above (like if I'm using it on line out with my Xduoo X3 for example) SBX is MORE than welcome. SBX does a really nice job of beefing up the low end crazy hard. SBX in conjunction with the EQ posted above is just way too much. It pushes the ASG-B to their absolute limits. Nothing but sine-like sub rumble. However I'll need to do more listening testing with the E5 as just an amp, as I've been using it as a combo amp/DAC to get a sense for the quality of the DAC (which is really nice to be honest, wish I could say I hear the difference in this and my ODAC but I really don't)

I'm going to have to spend some more time with it but it may be a winner considering it's portable and a DAC as well as amp. It's not on the same level as the Mojo because, one, the Mojo costs as much as 3 E5's, and two, the Mojo is all about being ridiculously bit perfect and SBX annihilates any notion of that. Yes you can turn SBX off, but if you're not into EQing, you can let SBX do the work for you and you'll be happy. It's a hell of a lot better than the C5's bass boost and gets you in that "sweet spot" immediately versus the Arrow 5TX which can give you that sweet spot but only with a lot of flicking of switches.

It's a little weird still to me how the volume knob works (freely rotating digital encoder) but doesn't even have clicky steps and has a lot less resistance than I'd expect. Not a huge issue though.

Is it a magic bass enhancing box? Possibly. Very very possible. More testing is required but it handles EQ like a champ and SBX can make even an un-EQ'd line out signal a bass bomber.

I'm glad you bought it and try it out man.  It's def a dream for BassHeads.  
biggrin.gif

Also, turn on the Crystalizer as well 
beyersmile.png

Apr 14, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #6,171 of 12,592

I'm glad you bought it and try it out man.  It's def a dream for BassHeads.  
biggrin.gif

I had a LOT of doubts about it but I'm glad I got it.

It's late tonight but tomorrow I'll try it out all day as just an amp.

Pre-bed edit: Using the E5 with ASIO for a bit now. Went into the settings to mess around, noticed it's locked at 48khz 24bit when SBX is enabled, must be the DSP at work. If you turn off SBX it goes back to looking like a normal device which gives you the 44.1-96 range. Interesting!!!

Creative E5 with SBX enabled, note ASIO is locked to 48kHz 24bit output, even though a 16bit 44.1khz MP3 is the source.

Apr 14, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #6,175 of 12,592

Just did another set of ear impressions and ready to order another Bass Monster  CIEM 
biggrin.gif

Trying to decide between these 2:  Custom 2.5 , AAW W500 AHMorph
Both have Bass dial knobs.

Unless there are some other Hybrid CIEM that I dont know of.

Apr 14, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #6,176 of 12,592
Need to see what that E5 does to set of SZ.  Remembered when it came out i was intrigued but ost interest when I couldn't find power spec.

I'm considering ordering the E5, but can only show with the Th900. I'll know tomorrow for sure.

jincuteguy Jmills8 heard the AAW W500 I believe. Wasn't a fan.

Took a mini business trip, brought my X7, mojo, and have my g2 plugged in... Stuck in a hotel room with my business partner... damn. Thank God for IEMS that's all I have to say. :grinning::grinning:

Apr 14, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #6,177 of 12,592
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #6,178 of 12,592
I'm considering ordering the E5, but can only show with the Th900. I'll know tomorrow for sure.

@jincuteguy Jmills8 heard the AAW W500 I believe. Wasn't a fan.

Took a mini business trip, brought my X7, mojo, and have my g2 plugged in... Stuck in a hotel room with my business partner... damn. Thank God for IEMS that's all I have to say. :grinning::grinning:

Yea he told me he didn't like the AAW W500 as well.  But those are the only 2 hybrid CIEM that I know of right now, besides the Lear LCM-BD4.2, which I don't like cause they make it stick out of your ears cause need space for the 2 DD.

Apr 14, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #6,179 of 12,592

@jincuteguy Jmills8 heard the AAW W500 I believe. Wasn't a fan.

Wait like a day at most and I'll have my more in depth E5 review posted.

According to one member it's possible customize the E5's SBX EQ which I'm interested in trying out however I have been happy with the stock sound. I find myself enjoying using SBX on all my IEMs/earbuds/whatever.

I might do a video review... I dunno. It might be worth it, but I'd have to think about how to do it and I haven't even got to measuring the max power it can push yet

Apr 14, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #6,180 of 12,592

Wait like a day at most and I'll have my more in depth E5 review posted.

According to one member it's possible customize the E5's SBX EQ which I'm interested in trying out however I have been happy with the stock sound. I find myself enjoying using SBX on all my IEMs/earbuds/whatever.

I might do a video review... I dunno. It might be worth it, but I'd have to think about how to do it and I haven't even got to measuring the max power it can push yet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back