Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Jun 11, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #872 of 12,592
So basically it's just a Music player with a built in DAC and Amp?

One of the more expensive DAP's on the market, but yes. With the amp, you'll find better performance from your IEM's. Personally, I use the FiiO X3ii, and it works well enough for me to get the performance I want, for substantially less than an A&K player. If your looking for a DAP, check the "Portable Player" section of head-fi, and ask around.

Jun 11, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #873 of 12,592
One of the more expensive DAP's on the market, but yes. With the amp, you'll find better performance from your IEM's. Personally, I use the FiiO X3ii, and it works well enough for me to get the performance I want, for substantially less than an A&K player. If your looking for a DAP, check the "Portable Player" section of head-fi, and ask around.

Why are those Astell & Kern a lot more expensive than other ones from FiiO or any other companies?

Jun 11, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #875 of 12,592
Because idiots like me are willing to pay for them.
wink.gif

So which Astell & Kern do you have?

Jun 11, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #876 of 12,592
Had Rwak120b, 100ii and 120ii (both briefly), and AK240 (which I love). AK240 is very expensive and overpriced. A cheaper alternative, Sony zx2. Sounds just as good for the most part, and has a little bit more bass. Plus streaming abilities.

The ak100ii is definitely the best bang for the buck and I heard no difference between the 100ii and the AK120II. Also heard no difference between the AK240 and ak120ii...

Jun 11, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #877 of 12,592
So I just got my ASG-2.5 and my first impression was WoW, the bass was really amazing.  The only thing im confused is i dont know which way to turn the Bass Port, like which way is more bass and which way is less bass.  Does anyone know anywhere like an instruction that tel u which way?

Jun 11, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #878 of 12,592
  So I just got my ASG-2.5 and my first impression was WoW, the bass was really amazing.  The only thing im confused is i dont know which way to turn the Bass Port, like which way is more bass and which way is less bass.  Does anyone know anywhere like an instruction that tel u which way?

Good to hear! 
biggrin.gif
 Any imperfections on yours?

The way the dial works is by turning it towards either the line or dot on the outside of the tuning port. The white dot inside the groove used to turn the dial indicates where the bass setting is on the dial. So in order to close the port, which is less bass, turn the white dot towards the line, and to get more bass turn it towards the dot, have fun 
basshead.gif

Jun 11, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #879 of 12,592
  Good to hear! 
biggrin.gif
 Any imperfections on yours?

The way the dial works is by turning it towards either the line or dot on the outside of the tuning port. The white dot inside the groove used to turn the dial indicates where the bass setting is on the dial. So in order to close the port, which is less bass, turn the white dot towards the line, and to get more bass turn it towards the dot, have fun 
basshead.gif

Well I dont think I can find any imperfection, maybe the shape are not 100% exactly the same.  But he sent me the wrong color, I told him I wanted "red", but he sent me a black one.  I just emailed him about it.

Jun 11, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #880 of 12,592

Good to hear you finally decided what to get. What are you using for a player, if you don't mind me asking. I just sent my 2.5s back to Aurisonics because the bass just wasn't there with my FiiO X3ii or my phone, and it was only mildly better with my home receiver.

Jun 11, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #881 of 12,592
Good to hear you finally decided what to get. What are you using for a player, if you don't mind me asking. I just sent my 2.5s back to Aurisonics because the bass just wasn't there with my FiiO X3ii or my phone, and it was only mildly better with my home receiver.

I don't have a hi-res player, but I hvae the Creative E5.  Im using it hooking it up to my PC

Also does anyone knows where I can get a better cable for my ASG-2.5? 

You guys should try this SuperNova track imo, it's really good for testing out bass I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gp51lt9kdA

Jun 12, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #882 of 12,592
I now have two of the (according to others) top tier basshead Balanced Armature-only IEMs in front of me.

The Noble 5 and Westone W50.

I gave my first impressions for the Noble 5 in an earlier post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/761433/the-best-iems-for-bass-are-the-iem-bass-club/795#post_11673582

The W50 are completely different. I was expecting them to be very similar given that they have roughly the same configuration (1 dedicated BA to bass, 2 to mids, 2 to highs) and seem to be fairly direct competitors in the market.

The W50s have great packaging, tons of awesome tips, an excellent box, two cables (one with mic), and are extremely comfortable to wear.

I'm trying to acclimate right now to the dark tonal signature of the W50. I was anticipating a very balanced signature with a slight bass emphasis, but they are quite dark.

Hitting them with EQ in the sub-bass only, these do get fairly deep, but lack impact. Further applying EQ (initially with a graphical EQ instead of parametric just for ease), I end up with something like:

That gives me clarity and bass.  The Noble 5 is completely flat at 125+ to achieve nice clarity (I'm effectively just pumping up the sub-bass). I'll tinker with the parametric EQ to get something along those lines later.

The bass potential on the W50 seems to be similar to--but slightly short of--the Noble 5. The default sound signature of the W50 is dark, while the Noble 5 is quite clear initially.

The comfort of the W50 is superior to the Noble 5. It's easier to get a seal for me as well as easier to get a comfortable fit.

I'll have reviews of both in the next couple weeks.

Jun 12, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #883 of 12,592
  I now have two of the (according to others) top tier basshead Balanced Armature-only IEMs in front of me.

The Noble 5 and Westone W50.

I gave my first impressions for the Noble 5 in an earlier post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/761433/the-best-iems-for-bass-are-the-iem-bass-club/795#post_11673582

The W50 are completely different. I was expecting them to be very similar given that they have roughly the same configuration (1 dedicated BA to bass, 2 to mids, 2 to highs) and seem to be fairly direct competitors in the market.

The W50s have great packaging, tons of awesome tips, an excellent box, two cables (one with mic), and are extremely comfortable to wear.

I'm trying to acclimate right now to the dark tonal signature of the W50. I was anticipating a very balanced signature with a slight bass emphasis, but they are quite dark.

Hitting them with EQ in the sub-bass only, these do get fairly deep, but lack impact. Further applying EQ (initially with a graphical EQ instead of parametric just for ease), I end up with something like:

That gives me clarity and bass.  The Noble 5 is completely flat at 125+ to achieve nice clarity (I'm effectively just pumping up the sub-bass). I'll tinker with the parametric EQ to get something along those lines later.

The bass potential on the W50 seems to be similar to--but slightly short of--the Noble 5. The default sound signature of the W50 is dark, while the Noble 5 is quite clear initially.

The comfort of the W50 is superior to the Noble 5. It's easier to get a seal for me as well as easier to get a comfortable fit.

I'll have reviews of both in the next couple weeks.

Do you think the NOble 5 is better than the ASG-2.5?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back