Head-Direct RE0 Appreciation Thread
Jan 24, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #421 of 470
Quote:
Sometimes, with the RE0, I feel like missing some "air".
now, is AIR's the word I am looking for, in this case ?

Air = more extension
OR
Air = kind of sparkles / over-emphasized parts of brightness
OR
Air = ...something else ?

This is the my issue (/quandary):
take, for example, the song: "Demons", by Brian McFadden.
Link for a legal preview, here: http://megaboon.com/common/preview/track/2804102.mp3

The RE0's presentation feels too(?) dark... And it makes me feel like there is not enough breathing there.
It makes me feel a lack of air in my throat, while listening to the song;

Interesting that you call them dark.. I have a similar feeling towards them (though I would never label them as dark), but I attribute it to the lack of soundstage. The RE0's are my backup pair and they'rer great at this price point, but for me they miss that little extra. I sometimes feel like they sound too "congested". I can live with the dryness of the sound and the fact that they're bass-light. Though it's not the sound signature I prefer, it offers a nice alternative. The treble, for example,  extends really well, making me hear some nice details in the upper register. Yet they never seem to be able to "breath", which makes them considerably less enjoyable for me..

But maybe we're both mumbling now.. :)

Jan 24, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #423 of 470
I figured that the "not breathing" part I have encountered is actually the way the recordings are.
On some headphones and IEMs- the manufacture artificially amplifies parts of the treble, so it is brighter (and "breathing"). 
you can read reviews which speaking of it with stuff like BeyerDynamic T1, HiFiMAN HE-6, Fischer-Audio DBA-02 mkII (?) and more.
Some people like it (i did), but it is not the REAL recording (so... not neutral on that part at least).

Jan 24, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #424 of 470
Ah right, with more breathing, I actually refer to the lack of space that seems to be around the different instruments. It's not artificial, i.e. you should listen to the same recordings with an open back headphone and tell me if it 'breathes' more. :) They're really not too bad though, but IMHO would be so much better with a little more soundstage..

Jan 24, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #425 of 470
Ah right, with more breathing, I actually refer to the lack of space that seems to be around the different instruments. It's not artificial, i.e. you should listen to the same recordings with an open back headphone and tell me if it 'breathes' more. :) They're really not too bad though, but IMHO would be so much better with a little more soundstage..

I agree. I think the lack of soundstage has partly to do with the uneven treble, which leaves out details in the FR dips. More resolution = better soundstage (or imaging at least) imo.

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #426 of 470
After many many months of curiosity about this IEM I stumbled across a pair of RE0 on ebay this evening with less than 10 hours on them pulling the trigger (I paid $45). They should arrive next week sometime. :smile: These are something I've been meaning to try for a while. Now I've gained a better feel of what sound sigs I enjoy think RE0 might do ok.

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #427 of 470
Looks like it won't be possible to buy the RE0 from stores anymore within the next couple days, at least from a US retailer. Their treble is amazing, but I'm into a more beefy sound. :p

Feb 3, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #430 of 470
After a week of waiting my RE0 finally arrived.

I must say I am rather impressed with their sound, they pair particularly well with Colorfly C3 straight from the headphone out.

I shall spend some time with them and settle in.

Feb 4, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #432 of 470
My congratulations H2O! Try Sony Hybrid tips with them, you will have a very good seal and good sound.

Hi! :smile:

I tried Sony Hyrbids as everyone suggests, however I prefer the large double flange tips! These are very natural sounding IEM, good detailing levels and surprising separation. I can see why they were very popular, vocals sound fantastic, really crisp, a must have for my collection, I could easily use these full time if I didn't have other IEM's here. I like them straight out from my Colorfly C3 though amped makes them shine that touch more! Best of all they suit all genres' well. I would consdier RE0 having almost the perfect tone for me, not to dark, not to bright, just right!

Really happy with these!

Feb 4, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #433 of 470
Quote:
Hi!
smile.gif

I tried Sony Hyrbids as everyone suggests, however I prefer the large double flange tips! These are very natural sounding IEM, good detailing levels and surprising separation. I can see why they were very popular, vocals sound fantastic, really crisp, a must have for my collection, I could easily use these full time if I didn't have other IEM's here. I like them straight out from my Colorfly C3 though amped makes them shine that touch more! Best of all they suit all genres' well. I would consdier RE0 having almost the perfect tone for me, not to dark, not to bright, just right!

Hi!
+1, but from CK4:)
Yes double flanges are very good, but with Hybrids you will hear one of the best treble from any IEMs from any price. Just try if you can:)
I'm also thinking them one of the best IEMs for any price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back