Head-Direct RE0 Appreciation Thread
Dec 5, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #272 of 470
I'm doing it right now. It's just taped down. I'll let you know how it goes. 

On an unrelated note, I am trying to decide on a portable amp for my RE0's. I use my Laptop with onboard sound, Ipod Touch 2g (With a broken dock connector, no sound output. Trust me, it just doesn't work), iPod Classic 160gb 5.5g, and a Sansa Clip+. I was wondering if the E7 with a 3.5mm-3.5mm from my iPod touch would offer any increase in SQ. When I go out, I usually just bring my iPod touch, due to it's WiFi capabilites. I am not even sure it would be worth carrying around an amp if the LOD wouldn't work on it. 

At home, I know the E7 will improve my laptop and iPod classic. 

Basically, I was wondering what everyone thought would be the best way to set myself up, with all my gear, what would you use for given situations, usually into my RE0's, occasionally SA6's or HD 448's.

Music Files: 
mp3: I have ALL of my music converted into an mp3 format, either VBR at V0, or 320kbps. About 13gb
ALAC: Some of the above mp3's were converted from ALAC files. I have about 8gb's of ALAC.
FLAC: I hae all of my ALAC backed up with FLAC as well, for the Sansa. 8gb's.

My sources:
Laptop with Realtek crud.
Ipod Touch 16gb 2g (3.5mm only)
Ipod Classic 160gb 5.5g (note: this can hold all my ALAC, not just mp3)
Sansa Clip + 4gb + 16gb MicroSDHC (Can hold FLAC, and some mp3)

Amp:
E7, or any other suggestions?

What would you do given my Files, sources, and Amp? On the go rig, at home rig, listening to while lying down, etc.

EDIT: just realized this should probably be in the portable source board under its own thread.... I suppose I'll leave it here... because people probably have similar amp/source questions with their RE0's.

Dec 6, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #273 of 470
Hm. The taping didn't help.

Just throwing this out there, has anybody recabled their RE0's? Any point to it? Do people frequently do that to their IEM's?

Dec 6, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #274 of 470
I wouldn't mind giving it a try.  What good wire is thin enough for that, though?

Dec 30, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #276 of 470

just today i took a ride to Best Buy and bought some Sony Hybrid and Monster SuperTips. i wanted to do that because i ordered some refurbed Turbines the other day and noticed that they only come with one pair of basic tips.

anyway, i noticed that the Sonys and SuperTips fit on the RE0's.

first i tried the Hybrids...no help, they sound like the stock black tips, maybe worse. im taking those back.

then i tried the SuperTips. OMG! these little suckers really bring the bass out of the RE0's. i was already contempt with the stock double flanges but the Gels especially beat them by a significant margin. the foams really warm up the sound and have more bass than the gels but the gels keeps the sound signature intact and brings the lows very well.

anyone wanting to try some new tips should def check up on the Monster SuperTips. they really are great.

btw, i use a Rockboxed Fuze with an E5 amp so that def helps out in bringing out the best in the RE0's.

Jan 3, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #277 of 470
I just put on the larger stock biflange tips, which I had removed instantly when I got the RE0's because I thought they were way too large for my ears.

But with a little practice (and having bought Etymotics in the meantime, and using their triflanges) they fit perfectly now. In combination with my FiiO E5 amp they have so much more bass then before!

Jan 6, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #278 of 470

Quote:

"i was already contempt with the stock double flanges..."

Contempt...didn't like them, or
Content...liked them.
I'm confused. 

Jan 7, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #279 of 470
These grey, single flange UE tips are real nice.  Better mids, soundstage, and easier seal.
Bass is ever so slightly reduced but gains more clarity and slightly better balance - not completely sure about the balance, but so far, so good.

re0uetips.jpg

Jan 12, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #280 of 470
I use the bi flanges (large sized) as its isolation is very good. Didnt notice any difference in sound when i changed the tips. I tried 4 other tips. Maybe the whole tips changing sound signature thing is over rated who knows?

Jan 12, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #281 of 470

Quote:
I use the bi flanges (large sized) as its isolation is very good. Didnt notice any difference in sound when i changed the tips. I tried 4 other tips. Maybe the whole tips changing sound signature thing is over rated who knows?

I don't know, that's for sure, but I think the main key to trying different tips is to get something that: 1 stays in your ears and 2 is comfortable.

I never felt quite secure with the tips the RE0 comes with, but the Comply 400's are perfect (for me).  On the other hand when I tried the Complys with the TF10s? Complete failure..

Jan 13, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #282 of 470
Tips are all about getting a good seal. The complys do give me a good seal but as its summer here, the comply tips quickly soak in sweat, oils and the likes and they get very soft after a while. That's why i dont like them.

Feb 10, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #283 of 470
The mailman made a delivery today 
smily_headphones1.gif

Boy, the reports of these things and their lack of bass are right on the money -  Sounds like someone removed the leads to the woofers.  I tend to like a brighter sound, but I need to address the bass situation...I'm thinking the Arrow 12HE with the bass boost circuit would do the trick.  With a bit more bass, these would be perfect.  I'm a newbie and I'm just driving the RE0's with me bloody Ipod, so I may need to spend a bit more money before I get the sound I'm looking for..  The wealth of info on this board is invaluable and I'd like to thank everyone for sharing their input..

Steve

Feb 10, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #284 of 470

Quote:
The mailman made a delivery today 
smily_headphones1.gif

Boy, the reports of these things and their lack of bass are right on the money -  Sounds like someone removed the leads to the woofers.  I tend to like a brighter sound, but I need to address the bass situation...I'm thinking the Arrow 12HE with the bass boost circuit would do the trick.  With a bit more bass, these would be perfect.  I'm a newbie and I'm just driving the RE0's with me bloody Ipod, so I may need to spend a bit more money before I get the sound I'm looking for..  The wealth of info on this board is invaluable and I'd like to thank everyone for sharing their info..

Steve

I find they pair very well with a FiiO E5 with bass boost ON.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back