Head-Direct RE0 Appreciation Thread
Mar 30, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #136 of 470
This Appreciation thread seems to have got much more Appreciative lately.
Not many members are talking down the RE0s now.
RE0s are the best IEMs I've used.
beerchug.gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #140 of 470
For any of you new RE0 buyers, it comes with a rubber-type cable now, instead of the cloth type, right?

Apr 19, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #141 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmhaynes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For any of you new RE0 buyers, it comes with a rubber-type cable now, instead of the cloth type, right?

Yup, PPE cable.

Jun 2, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #142 of 470
Got my re0 today and coming from SE530 I am absolutely floored and can't get my head around the fact that for their price they are able to keep up with the SE530's and excel in a few areas. The change from SE 530 was very clear, the treble was initially harsh but I realised thats just me getting used to the treble neutered SE530's
tongue.gif
. Getting better and better with burn-in. 

As everyone who owns one has already said, they are very neutral and balanced. Mids are clean and sound signature is very much like shures. Low end is there but I've been spoilt by the SE530 + Voyager "Contour" setting and wish it had the impact and slightly more body!!!

All in all the best £60 I've spent for an audio equipment!!! Too bad its going to be used by missus as I'm trying to get her into the head-fi world!!

Jun 4, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #143 of 470
I want to order the latest version of the Head-Direct RE0, what is a good site to order from?

Jun 8, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #145 of 470
I love my Re0s even more now. I accidentally stepped on them this morning and the casing split. But lo and behold, I got it screwed together again and it still works as if nothing's ever happened. I'm seriously impressed. What a great piece of workmanship!

Jul 22, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #146 of 470
I got these today and... WOW.

I never thought such a huge improvement in EQ for IEM's were really possible (coming from Shure SE115/Klipsch S4).. but I was proven wrong and in such fashion...

High's/mids just stunning clear and amazing...... bass is very nice too. Very accurate.. I can hear bass lines perfectly in songs although it's lacks out a little in bass warmth/bass impact but I'll sacrifice this to be in audio nirvana... these are amazing.. do I really need an upgrade?

*** An update impression:
The high's/mid's are so good it almost reminds me when listening to my Shure SRH840's (amp). Ridiculous. Truly amazing.

To describe the bass... it's cold, although warmer in some songs. I prefer warm bass but the mid's/high's just steal the show. Don't get me wrong bass is more detailed than many IEM's I'm sure; I love it.

Jul 22, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #147 of 470
You could try amping it with a good amp, it will help with the bass and open up the soundstage a bit.

Quote:

I never thought such a huge improvement in EQ for IEM's were really possible (coming from Shure SE115/Klipsch S4).. but I was proven wrong and in such fashion...

High's/mids just stunning clear and amazing...... bass is very nice too. Very accurate.. I can hear bass lines perfectly in songs although it's lacks out a little in bass warmth/bass impact but I'll sacrifice this to be in audio nirvana... these are amazing.. do I really need an upgrade?

*** An update impression:
The high's/mid's are so good it almost reminds me when listening to my Shure SRH840's (amp). Ridiculous. Truly amazing.

To describe the bass... it's cold, although warmer in some songs. I prefer warm bass but the mid's/high's just steal the show. Don't get me wrong bass is more detailed than many IEM's I'm sure; I love it.

Jul 22, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #148 of 470

Quote:
You could try amping it with a good amp, it will help with the bass and open up the soundstage a bit.

I have. An amp improves the quality a little further and with a bass boost EQ (like on the E5) it can really makes the earphones perfect.

However I'm more than satisfied with the quality of it unamped.

Jul 22, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #149 of 470

Quote:

Give the RE0 about 100 hours or so, and the driver will continue to relax and the bass will warm up and fill out a bit.

With the E5, the bass boost position also cuts the highs just a bit -- to fake you into thinking the bass is enhanced more than it actually is!  However, there is actually a "hidden" center position on the moving toggle -- when you barely click it to that center position, it is like a gain increase -- everything goes up a bit, volume, bass, treble.  I stay on that position almost always.  (I have to use a finger nail to carefully slide the switch just a small click to the center position.)

Jul 22, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #150 of 470

Quote:
Give the RE0 about 100 hours or so, and the driver will continue to relax and the bass will warm up and fill out a bit.

With the E5, the bass boost position also cuts the highs just a bit -- to fake you into thinking the bass is enhanced more than it actually is!  However, there is actually a "hidden" center position on the moving toggle -- when you barely click it to that center position, it is like a gain increase -- everything goes up a bit, volume, bass, treble.  I stay on that position almost always.  (I have to use a finger nail to carefully slide the switch just a small click to the center position.)

Nice trick!

I actually have an E7 connected to my X-fi soundcard as a dac and using the E7 as a amp. with levels of bass boost for my Shure SRH840 (I don't use any bass boost though).. I was thinking of getting an E5 for my RE0 but listening to it unamped/amped.. I don't think it's necessary and there's always burn to take into account.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back