Head-Direct RE0 Appreciation Thread
Jan 21, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #121 of 470
I find that the RE0 sounds just fine coming unamped from my iPod Nano (4g). My next purchase will be a small amp. But, for now, I am more than happy with my RE0's.

Jan 22, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #122 of 470
It's funny how audio works.

I recieved the RE0s today. It came in a ridiculously small package, which made me somewhat amused. When I tried it on, the stock tips really hurt my ears, so I replaced it with the Sony hybrid tips.

After I turned on the sound, I was impressed. You'd expect a guy using IEMs with huge bass to dislike something with little bass, but I enjoyed them. Drastically different from what I'm used to, but pleasantly surprised. Vocals were much more up forward, so I like it.

Oh, and these have the perfect amount of bass I want.

Jan 22, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #123 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ojsinnerz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's funny how audio works.

I recieved the RE0s today. It came in a ridiculously small package, which made me somewhat amused. When I tried it on, the stock tips really hurt my ears, so I replaced it with the Sony hybrid tips.

After I turned on the sound, I was impressed. You'd expect a guy using IEMs with huge bass to dislike something with little bass, but I enjoyed them. Drastically different from what I'm used to, but pleasantly surprised. Vocals were much more up forward, so I like it.

The big stock bi-flanges aren't meant to be inserted deep - they should be as shallow as possible. When you wear them like so the comfort is much better, but they fall out easily.

Jan 22, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #124 of 470
'Cuz you're doing it wrong, lol.

Jan 22, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #125 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ojsinnerz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recieved the RE0s today. ... When I tried it on, the stock tips really hurt my ears, so I replaced it with the Sony hybrid tips.

After I turned on the sound, I was impressed. ... Drastically different from what I'm used to, but pleasantly surprised. Vocals were much more up forward, so I like it.

For tips, if you got large size double flange clear tips, I took that and cut off the large back flange right at the base of its flare, and then cut the remaining core tube just a bit. Popped them on the REO and they feel and sound great -- slightly better sound than the Sony Hybrids, and much easier to get on/off the RE0.

As you move past the 60-100 hours of play, the REO bass deepens and fills out some. At over 200 hours now, I love the bass, which is plenty sufficient when needed.

Jan 24, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #126 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by dL. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone got RE0 to compare with Apple's dual driver in ear? How much better are the RE0?

dL

Well, I just got my RE0 today after being a happy ADDIEM user for months. Also use a Sansa Clip and a FiiO E5. First impressions comparing the two: The RE0 has a bit more mid-bass than the Apples, and it also has more treble extension than the Apples. Haven't had enough listening to seriously evaluate things like soundstage or bass extension, however neither has made a bad impression so far.

Oh, I use the largest Sony Hybrid tips with the ADDIEM, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that they also fit the nozzle of the RE0. Of the tips that came with the RE0, the smaller bi-flanges work the best with me, and sound very similar to the Sony Hybrids. Maybe a touch more bass. Haven't checked out the single flange tips that came with them yet.

Speaking of which: Neither the ADDIEM or RE0 qualify as bass cannons, but I did notice that the RE0's are very picky about ear placement in order to sound their best in that department. So those who say they have "no bass" may just have fit issues. They certainly have bass, in a way more than the ADDIEMs since they have a stronger mid-bass.

The RE0 are also more revealing of flaws in the recording, so those whose collection consists of low bit rate mp3s recorded from scratchy vinyl may just want to stop at the ADDIEMs, which manage to be both analytical and forgiving at the same time. I still feel that the ADDIEMs are an amazing deal at the $35 level if you can find them for that on e-bay. Compared to the other iems I've owned and heard (Sennheiser CX-95, SoundMagic PL-30 and Mylar X3i) they have an openness to the sound stage that's unique, I think because the mid-bass is missing so that the other frequencies aren't crowded out.

Hope this helps. I will let these burn in and post more impressions later.

MGbert

Feb 17, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #128 of 470
I absolutely love my RE0s. They're the first top-tier IEMs I've ever owned (I've owned V-Moda Bass-Freq IEMs before these but they weren't even close to top-tier) and I can't get enough of them. Each time I use them I find something new to love about them. Whether it's their sparkly treble, their well textured bass or the exceptional clarity, the RE0s really deliver. I'm using a Fiio E5 and a Fiio E1 for my PC and iPod amping needs but I'm strongly considering buying the bass boost CMOY v2.02 from JDS labs to further augment my amp setup. The RE0s don't necessarily need an amp to sound great but they really open up when they're used with the amps I have so Imagine a better amp will produce better results.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 27, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #129 of 470
omg I'm so glad I found this thread because I was going to create an RE0 appreciation thread haha.

I am too, the proud owner of these babies and I am completely sold on its sound signature and value. The detail is definitely something I can not put into words to describe; it is something you have to hear to appreciate. I love these so much. Thank you Head-direct!

Mar 27, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #130 of 470
The other thread is pretty much an appreciation thread already, lol.
Then there's a third thread to boot.
Good grief. xD

Mar 27, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #132 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by supersong115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
omg I'm so glad I found this thread because I was going to create an RE0 appreciation thread haha.

I am too, the proud owner of these babies and I am completely sold on its sound signature and value. The detail is definitely something I can not put into words to describe; it is something you have to hear to appreciate. I love these so much. Thank you Head-direct!

I am glad you like them.
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #133 of 470
These replaced my Triple-fi in use. All I need to say. I use the small silicon tips but with a very light fit, and I start to have amazing bass. If I pit them too far in I feel like my ears are gonna pop and can't hear anything. xD

Mar 28, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #134 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by Infoseeker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These replaced my Triple-fi in use. All I need to say. I use the small silicon tips but with a very light fit, and I start to have amazing bass. If I pit them too far in I feel like my ears are gonna pop and can't hear anything. xD

I use the medium size silicon single flange tips...I think they are easier to insert into your ear compared to the large double flange ones, and offer the same amount of isolation. Cheers!

And thanks Pianist for all the advice you gave prior to acquiring these amazing IEMs!

Mar 30, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #135 of 470
just got over the rumored muffle/imbalance issue some others mentioned around ~100 hours of burn-in

Wow.

as if the bass wasn't tight & pronounced already, it is just more evident now.
hard to imagine that the detail could've gotten any more clear at the price point but it definitely seems to have more of a 'sparkle' now
best headphone purchase i've ever made - and less than $80 at that.
been visiting headfi for a few years, not often needed to post but wanted to declare my "appreciation"
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back