Head-Direct RE0 Appreciation Thread
Jan 19, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #106 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonic_Pope /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I concur. I may be a noob still, but how anyone can go for bloaty bassy earphones over this is beyond me. I let a friend of mine, who uses stock Sony Ericsson cellphone earphones, audition my RE0s yesterday and he said he wasn't impressed.

Ha. Hahaha. Well, he has cheap tastes, so at least he won't be emptying his wallet every month for a new pair of phones. Did you try his Ericsson phones? You never know
tongue.gif

Quote:

So yes, the RE0s are amazing. And I'm not even running it amped yet.

beerchug.gif

Jan 19, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #107 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAmish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just ordered a set of these to replace my old set of MylarOneX3s that fell apart a few months ago. Hoping it pairs well with my new Clip+, which should be arriving at nearly the same time. I thought that I was done with headphone purchases for the duration...it is amazing how this site sucks you back in!
tongue.gif

dam your mylar x3 lasted damn long lol... anyway how does the re0 fare against the x3? im still missing my 1st mylarone lbi's sound...

Jan 19, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #108 of 470
What kind of aftermarketing ear foams will fit? Which comply will fit? If so, how is the sound quality afterwards?

The stock ear tip isn't that comfortable.

dL

Jan 19, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #109 of 470
RE0 is amazing. I can already tell the difference in the mids compared to my SRH440 cans and it's only been less than 20 hours of burning-in.

The mids are so much more pronounced and the highs are definitely there, but much less bright. They're perfect and so much more natural sounding. The bass is there, and tight. It extends quite deep and I'm using it through my receiver which has an OK headphone jack. I have read that the bass extends a bit deeper with an amp, so I can't wait to get a new external DAC/amp, but even unamped, these headphones are awesome! Do not confuse this with "enveloping" bass... for bassheads. The bass sounds very accurate.

For different genres, it's a great pair of IEMs. The buds can be better, so I'll be messing around with tips later on. They're not that bad actually and fits very well in my canals and isolates well for me.

For the price, this is definitely a high-value pair of headphones.

Jan 19, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #110 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by dL. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of aftermarketing ear foams will fit? Which comply will fit? If so, how is the sound quality afterwards?

The stock ear tip isn't that comfortable.

dL

COMPLY T400s fit the RE0.
Dont know about the sound though, i can never get comply foam tips to fit properly in my ears.

Jan 19, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #111 of 470
squeeze, roll, insert deeply, hold, wait for it... ahhh sealed
wink.gif

suggest trying different sizes, medium is most commonly available, other sizes not always offered. fyi medium fits me okay but large is a lot more secure

Jan 19, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #112 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulypaul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dont know about the sound though, i can never get comply foam tips to fit properly in my ears.

They darken the sound slightly and dampen bass and overall impact. Not a huge difference, but I like the sound much better with the stock buds.
Now I just remembered I trimmed my comply tips to see what the difference in sound is, but forgot to test them due to an interruption and have forgotten about it for the past four months, LOL.
Edit: Nope, not any better.

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #113 of 470
It's alright. I got some old EX51 sony tips and they fit perfectly.

I am still surprised how this can be $79. The sound is UNREAL. I would buy it even if it is $199. I've let a few friends try and they're also blown away by the details, however they can't stand the lack of bass (coming from sony overbloated bass earphones).

dL

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #114 of 470
RE0 is an awesome IEM indeed - a steal at $79 US for sure. But sometimes I feel that the bass lacks some tightness that is supposed to be there, when I don't use an amp. So these little guys sure need some serious juice to shine. When amped, the bass is sufficiently tight.

Jan 20, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #115 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RE0 is an awesome IEM indeed - a steal at $79 US for sure. But sometimes I feel that the bass lacks some tightness that is supposed to be there, when I don't use an amp. So these little guys sure need some serious juice to shine. When amped, the bass is sufficiently tight.

Ive done about 60hrs on mine and am really impressed.
The Bass is there if the player has the EQ capabilities or if amped.
Ive pushed the Clear Bass on my walkman to max and there is ample bass (sometimes i have to pull it back a notch).
I find the stock tips work the best (upside down with cable over the ear).
The seal is the most critical thing with these iems (if the seal is just a little off, there goes the bass).
Clarity is still amazing in mids and highs.

Jan 20, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #116 of 470
Quote:

Ive done about 60hrs on mine and am really impressed.
The Bass is there if the player has the EQ capabilities or if amped.
Ive pushed the Clear Bass on my walkman to max and there is ample bass (sometimes i have to pull it back a notch).
I find the stock tips work the best (upside down with cable over the ear).
The seal is the most critical thing with these iems (if the seal is just a little off, there goes the bass).
Clarity is still amazing in mids and highs.

I agree that proper fit is very important with RE0 as with most other IEMs. I am still experimenting with various tips, hoping that maybe I will be able to get an even better fit, as none of the tips I have now fit me quite right. Personally, I don't use any kind of bass enhancements on portable players, since I think they usually make the sound unnatural. I think Clear Bass on the Sony also makes the sound a bit unnatural, but to each their own. If it works for you - great.

Jan 20, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #117 of 470
Quote:

the one that come with the TF10(T500 I think) also fits, but I am not really sure what it does to the sound. Ever slightly more bass I think, but it is uncomfortable to me.

Jan 21, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #118 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree that proper fit is very important with RE0 as with most other IEMs. I am still experimenting with various tips, hoping that maybe I will be able to get an even better fit, as none of the tips I have now fit me quite right. Personally, I don't use any kind of bass enhancements on portable players, since I think they usually make the sound unnatural. I think Clear Bass on the Sony also makes the sound a bit unnatural, but to each their own. If it works for you - great.

Interesting point.
If i wasnt enhancing the bass and running flat, I would say the RE0 was indeed bass light, However with the bass enhanced i really enjoy the RE0. I suppose thats what it comes down to in the end - the listening enjoyment.

Jan 21, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #119 of 470
Quote:

Interesting point.
If i wasnt enhancing the bass and running flat, I would say the RE0 was indeed bass light, However with the bass enhanced i really enjoy the RE0. I suppose thats what it comes down to in the end - the listening enjoyment.

I would have to say the same. I believe to really bring out the potential from the bass-end, the IEMs would need to undergo some sort of amping.

However, running it straight from my E344, it sounds great with the EQ flat and my Clear Bass set at +2 (still burning it in though... less than 40 hours). Doesn't sound unnatural at all IMO.

Jan 21, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #120 of 470
IMO the naturalness of RE0 is very source dependent. I find it does match up very well with Sony players. With other players I have, RE0 tends to sound a bit cold. Sony really brings out the warmth though and makes it sound natural. I think RE0 will work really well with tube amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back