HE300 or HD600?
Sep 18, 2011 at 3:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

punks15

500+ Head-Fier
hi guys i'm in search for a warm, musical and forgiving headphone. i wonder which is better in term of vocal, bass body, treble, high and staging? i'm upgrading from my srh840 and searching for a more open sounding, better soundstage in terms of width and depth, sweeter and almost zero sibilance.

also recommend me a good dac/amp under $500 price rang for he300/hd600 and srh840

thanks!

Sep 18, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #2 of 24
HD 650? Does not get more 'zero' sibilance than that.

The HRT Streamer II does 24/96 over USB as a DAC
for a very good price.

Schiit Asgard to balance things out. Although, something
like a Violectric V90 would be almost ideal.

Sep 18, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #3 of 24
last time i tried it i found it was too slow and sleepy for me and i can't afford something like b22 :frowning2:. would the asgard make the hd650 faster?

forgot to put these things up : music i mostly listen to : female vocals, techno, jpop/rock, jazz, orchestra, metal ( something like jerry c - canon rock, not a super speedy metal like slipknot or dragonforce )

Sep 18, 2011 at 3:54 AM Post #4 of 24
Hmm, you're going to have to lean one way or the other. No one set of cans can excel at all these genres

"female vocals, techno, jpop/rock, jazz, orchestra, metal"

The Shure 840 is not easily blown into the weeds either.

Thought about scoring the DAC & amp first to see where you're at with the 840?

My concern is your 'zero' tolerance for sibilance and yet you find the HD 650
 slow and sleepy (which can really depend on the source in a big way)

I'd recommend a Grado but I'm reluctant to - your taste appears at odds.

Sep 18, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #5 of 24
I think you'd be happy with the HD-650.

As for a DAC/amp, consider the PreSonus Central Station. Very nice with the HD-650 and had a brief moment of popularity here. I loved the one I had - it has two separate headphone amps (great for sharing or comparing), a clean DAC and a wonderful relay-based attenuator for use as a preamp. It's a good deal because it's aimed at pros, not audiophiles.

I would have kept it, but got deeply into vinyl and SACD and moved to a more traditional system.

Sep 18, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #6 of 24
Add the Ultrasone HFI 2400 to your list of possible purchases. They are absolutely and completely sibilance-free and are also definitely not veiled-sounding like the Sennheisers. They also have an impedance of 70 Ohms, which means that they most likely won't even need an amp to be driver well, although they would probably benefit from one. 

I can't really give any good recommendations for an amp/DAC as IMO, a FiiO E7 is already good enough for most applications and it is very cheap. It measures extremely well and this is what matters.

Sep 18, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #7 of 24
hmm.... i'm afraid hd650 that i tried is the older driver not the updated one . looks like i have to give hd650 another try
would something like dacport good enough for hd650?

Sep 23, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #10 of 24
Never heard the HE300 but I want to like it more just because the HD600/580's have been around FOREVER...

Also yeah the DACport would kick the HD650's ass in that matchup haha. I honestly have no idea how they packed so much amp into something that size, included a DAC, and made it sound good...

If youre looking for something with bass body, the HD600's will leave you disappointed, I own basically an HD-600 (even has the grills), it's a neutrality beast, the treble comes off as bright to some even, it doesn't have the weight in it's tone like you seem to be looking for.

You sound like you want something very lush, silky smooth, and full bodied, I think only the HD650 really does it...

Also gotta throw in the obligatory Grado recommendation, the SR-225... the bass is pretty gnarly, yet isn't the main focus of the headphone at all

Sep 23, 2011 at 7:00 AM Post #11 of 24
The HE300 and the HD650 (new) sound absolutely nothing alike. I can attest to this personally (having heard them in a direct comparison). My thoughts on the HD650 was, overall, of sweetness. Literally, the headphones sounded very sweet to me, almost unrealistically so. It was a more comfortable sound, but it wasn't as... Well, I'd call it engaging, foot-tappingly awesome in some ways - that's how I feel about the HE300's. The low-end especially is amazing - it's solid and powerful but it also sounds really tight. The headphones do bring out the recording a bit more - Norah Jones' voice sounded more grainy and realistic than on the HD650.

All-in-all, I think you might prefer the HD650, although I prefer the HE300. The HE300 is really good at making you feel involved with the music, but the HD650 is more of a lean-back phone. The only thing I don't like about the HD650 is the low-end, where I can without question say I prefer the HE300.

Hell, it's got me thinking about the HE-4 and orthos, that's how much I like it. (I've also owned DT880's and W5000's, and UE-11's.)

Sep 23, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #12 of 24
Definietly HD 600 with your preferences.

Sep 24, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #13 of 24
i accidently tried he500 yesterday. looks like it's really matches my preferences. is there anything that sound similar to it at a lower price or should i wait and get he500? i'm worried about the source/amp dependant though

Sep 24, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #15 of 24

Quote:
I heard that the HD598 has a similar sound to the HE500, and it's like $180 on amazon.

No way....

The HD598 sounds closer to the FA-003 than the HE-500. The HE-500 has a very distinctive sound signature. It's fairly neutral with an emphasized high end sparkle. It's definitely brighter than a LCD-2 but less bright than the HE-6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back