HE300 or HD600?
Sep 24, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #16 of 24
I'm in a similar boat in terms of my next fullsize headphone purchase. I've heard the HE-4,5,6 and didn't really like them very much, but am told that the HE-300 is better than the HD 600/50 and less like the orthodynaic cans in the HE-series. Then again, I've heard an HD 600 and it, to my ears, sounded just like an improved version of my loved-to-bits (literally) HD 595s with less harshness and more detail. I can really see why they've remained so popular and inoffensive for all these years. So should I bank on the reliable workhorse (HD 600), or put money on the less experienced but younger horse (HE-300)? It's a pickle.

I have also heard the HD 650s and found them to be a bit too thick/slow for most of my music. Still very pleasant, though.

I have very similar musical tastes to you, so I'll be interested to see what you think of what you end up with.

Sep 24, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #17 of 24

Quote:
but am told that the HE-300 is better than the HD 600/50 and less like the orthodynaic cans in the HE-series.

The HE-300 is a dynamic headphone...not an ortho. I don't know if it really better than the HD600 though. I think in the end it will come down to preference. At the current time, I think I would personally rather stick with the HD600 due to it's accurate sound. The HE-300 has impressive low end but I hear some sucked out mids and highs. However, keep in mind that not many people notice sucked out upper mids and highs.

Sep 24, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #18 of 24
I have the HD 600 and am currently testing a pair of HE-300s.  The HE-300 has only about 90 hours' burn in, so it will improve in time.

At the moment, it seems to have better low end and a bit more clarity than the Sennheisers.  However, I much prefer the mids and general balance of the HD 600, and it seems to have more intimacy with vocals than the HE-300. Maybe they just gel better with my tube amp but out of the two (so far) I prefer the HD 600.

Sep 24, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #19 of 24

Quote:
However, I much prefer the mids and general balance of the HD 600, and it seems to have more intimacy with vocals than the HE-300.

beerchug.gif

Sep 25, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:
The HE-300 is a dynamic headphone...not an ortho. I don't know if it really better than the HD600 though. I think in the end it will come down to preference. At the current time, I think I would personally rather stick with the HD600 due to it's accurate sound. The HE-300 has impressive low end but I hear some sucked out mids and highs. However, keep in mind that not many people notice sucked out upper mids and highs.

I know that the HE-300 is dynamic, that's why I said specifically compared to the HE-series orthos. Thanks for the input though; I was swaying towards an HD 600 anyway but you've definitely reinforced my choice.

Sep 25, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #23 of 24

Quote:
last time i tried it i found it was too slow and sleepy for me and i can't afford something like b22 :frowning2:. would the asgard make the hd650 faster?

forgot to put these things up : music i mostly listen to : female vocals, techno, jpop/rock, jazz, orchestra, metal ( something like jerry c - canon rock, not a super speedy metal like slipknot or dragonforce )

JerryC is awesome. Thanks for reminding me to check up on him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back