HE-90 just sold for $11,300 on Ebay
Jan 15, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #32 of 50
I have already reported to the ebay.  I didn't  report to the ebay immediately when he asked for a wire transfer.
However I have done that a few times without any problem.  Another problem is that sometimes the seller would ask
you send the payment asking you to declare the item as a gift to avoid paypal fee or buy outside the website.  I never
did that because I know that I will not be protected.  If I really do want that I will pay the paypal fee for them. A lot
of bidders in Thailand does not know this.
I have reported to ebay to investigate on this. If he is a legit as some member has commented we may know the truth.
Although on looking back I do not think he is the real owner especially after silverlight's info.
I have asked ebay to  investigate : asking the buyer to wire transfer (in order to avoid paypal fee), excessive S&H (505+ dollars
for shipment of one headphone to Thailand by UPS, I have done that before and the shipment fee is only 60-80$), possible attempt
to sell the item outside ebay to the second highest bidder (he mentioned in my ebay that he had open offer from the second highest
bidder,)
and I admitted that I asked him to declare the low value.

Jan 15, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #33 of 50
By the way the custom rate in Thailand is also unpredictable and it should not be 700$ as one member mentioned
(7% from 10,000$) . If it's only 700$ I would gladly pay.   The usual custom rate is 10% from the declared value and then
7% Vat on top of this.  I have several experiences that Thai custom charged 30% of the declared value and then 7% on
top so it turned out to be around 40+%.  That's the reason why I have the alternate address in paypal and when we do
shipment with this method I will calculate to pay around 7% but I admit that in this case I may not do like this.
I have seen one bass light R10 on head-fi, any one know is it a legit one?

Jan 15, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #35 of 50
Oh man. I would like a pair of those!
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #36 of 50
Quote: Sedan Delivery ----  Yep,, I know the seller,,it is not a scam,he's legit,I've seen the headphones myself. Yes, I've dealt with him before,
he is an honest trustworthy seller,sorry that things did not work out.

Not sure who you are, but I appreciate the support.

To the rest of the members on here...

It's almost amusing how you manage to pick apart something or someone on a forum, with little to no information.
This auction was/is 100% legit, and I well even go ahead and ask the 2nd bidder to post a review here once he receives the HE90's

Just to prove I did not try to scam anyone, I am going to go ahead and post the actual messages that went back and forth between [size=10pt]Kiertijai and myself on eBay after the auction was complete. As you will see, I "asked" him if he would be willing to send a wire transfer. At no time did I ever demand anything, as a matter of fact, I let him know PayPal was also fine, but I would prefer a wire transfer. I see nothing wrong with wanting to save $400-500 in needless PayPal fees. [/size]

[size=10pt]Anyway, you are all welcome to continue bashing me all you like. I was only following eBays advice on this situation.[/size]

To: kiertijai
Subject: s-t-u-d-i-o sent a message about Sennheiser Orpheus HE90 Electrostatic Headphones #140497809473
Sent Date: Jan-13-11 07:16:48 PST

Dear kiertijai,

[size=10pt]Greetings... Would you have a problem sending funds via bank wire transfer, to save in PayPal fees?? PayPal is ok too,
but i would prefer to save the fees if possible. James.
[/size]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To:  s-t-u-d-i-o
Sent:  Jan-13-11 08:19 PM

[size=10pt]Dear s-t-u-d-i-o,

Dear James,
I may be able to do the wire transfer, and I need your bank account and swift code.
Can you declare the value lower so that I won't have much problem with Thai custom? I don't want to avoid custom but Thai custom ,sometimes charge 30% from the declared value and 7% VAT on top of that. The usual custome rate for electronics in Thailand is only 7%. If you can declare the value around 1500$ and send by Fedex I haven't encounter any problem. You can take a look at my ebay history I have 100% rating and I plan to kkep it that way.
If you cannot do that please send to my son's address.
thank,
Kiertijai
[/size]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And this is where I contacted eBay and asked their advice, based on the fact that he was asking me to lower the declared value, which my auction specifically stated I would not do. Their advice was, If I felt at all uncomfortable with the transaction, to delete it. So I did.
Here was my reply to him the next day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To:  kiertijai
Sent:  Jan-14-11 05:22 PM

[size=10pt]Dear kiertijai,

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ANY MONEY. I am very sorry, but after you contacted me before, and asked for me to ship with lower declared value, and also wanted me to ship to a different address, I contact eBay, and PayPal to check my options. They both said that if I was concerned about the transaction due to the large value of the item, that I should cancel your bid. I am very sorry, but I do not feel comfortable with this deal. I specifically posted I would NOT NOT ship the item with with a lower declared value, and yet you asked me to send it only insured for $1500. I apologize, but your high bid will be removed. I can not risk a deal with this kind of money. James
[/size]

[size=10pt]I will spare all of you, the embarrassing[/size] next 8 messages I received from [size=10pt]Kiertijai[/size], telling me how I could not delete the transaction, and how he was going to post here about me...  
He did the one thing I specifically posted I would not do in the auction. The wire transfer had nothing to do with my decision. In fact the 2nd bidder paid via PayPal, which I stated was fine with me to both of them.

Here is my reason for posting that I would not allow a lowered declared value:
I specifically noted in the auction, that I would not lie on the customs forms, and that they needed to be fully insured. then he wanted me to ship it to his son in the US, which would void any coverage I would have had through eBay and or PayPal, because it would not be shipped to the actual buyer... All he would have had to say is... "I never got them. Prove you shipped them to me" eBay advised me to delete his transaction, and move onto the next bidder, and that's what I did.
He was complaining he'd have to pay an additional 37% in taxes.... He should have taken that into account before he bid.

In the end, I did what I felt best in this transaction, and eBay agreed with me. So bash away if you must.

James

PS...
To those of you who seem to want to question my eBay buying/selling abilities...  here is the last "large" item I purchased.
http://cgi.ebay.com/330501896188
If you check my eBay history, I obviously BUY much more than I sell on there
blink.gif

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #37 of 50
Oh well that seems to be pretty convincing evidence. I apologize for the previous comment.

Jan 16, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #38 of 50
Just a little friendly advice to anyone her buying or selling....
If you have never dealt with shipping companies on large valued items, here's how it works.

Say I ship an item to you, that you paid me $5000 for. You ask me to declare it to customs for only $500 to save on import fees, and taxes (which I can understand) and I agree. I ship the item, and it is lost or damaged in shipping. No matter what value I insured the item for say $5000 like it should be... The shipping, or Insurance company will ONLY pay on the "declared value" and I would be responsable to refund the buyer the full value, leaving me with either a broken unit that the insurance coverage of $500 would not cover, or with nothing if the item were lost, and I'd be out $5000
Keep in mind, we are talking $11,300 here. The repair cost on these headphones is $3000 via SENNHEISER.

Then other problem, shipping to any other address than the one on the buyers PayPal will VOID all and any "seller protection" or insurance you may have through eBay or PayPal.

Never do either of these these things shipping internationally!!!! Call your shipper, eBay and PayPal to verify everything I am saying.

Cover your ass, and the second you don't feel comfortable with a deal, walk away like I did.

Jan 16, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #39 of 50

Quote:
Just a little friendly advice to anyone her buying or selling....
If you have never dealt with shipping companies on large valued items, here's how it works.

Say I ship an item to you, that you paid me $5000 for. You ask me to declare it to customs for only $500 to Dave on import fees, and taxes (which I can understand) and I agree. I ship the item, and it is lost or damaged in shipping. No matter what value I insured the item for say $5000 like it should be... Insurance company will ONLY pay on the "declared value" and I would be responsable to refund the buyer the full value, leaving me with either a broken unit that the insurance coverage of $500 would not cover, or with nothing if the item were lost, and I'd be out $5000
Keep in mind, we are talking $11,300 here. The repair cost on these headphones is $3000 via SENNHEISER.

Then other problem, shipping g to any other address than the one on the buyers PayPal will VOID all and any "seller" insurance you may have through eBay or PayPal.

Never do either of these these things shipping internationally!!!! Call your shipper and verify everything I am saying.

So you as a seller get fully protected with the above safety measures but at the same time you think it is okay for me as a buyer to send you the fund via wire transfer?  

Jan 16, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #40 of 50
All he had to say was he preferred to use PayPal. Which I myself would prefer if I were the buyer as well.

Asking me to declare the HE90's for 1/10 of their actual value, was the one thing that broke this deal.

Jan 16, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #41 of 50

Quote:
All he had to say was he preferred to use PayPal. Which I myself would prefer if I were the buyer as well.

Asking me to declare the HE90's for 1/10 of their actual value, was the one thing that broke this deal.

Call me old school if you like. I would not want to lie about the value of the item on the custom form, nor would I send over $11,000 to a stranger with no protection. You proposed something irregular in the first place so you could save yourself some money and he replied with a proposal that was also iffy to save money. Sure, all he had to say was he preferred to use Paypal, but all you needed to reply to that was you preferred not to delare the phones for less than their actual value. You chose to sell the item to someone else instead of carrying on the conversation with him.
I don't know enough about the ins and outs of this dispute to pass any judgement. Just think that your friendly advice about buying and selling should also include NOT sending money via wire transfer, which ebay does not recommend.  

Jan 16, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #42 of 50

Quote:
Call me old school if you like. I would not want to lie about the value of the item on the custom form, nor would I send over $11,000 to a stranger with no protection. You proposed something irregular in the first place so you could save yourself some money and he replied with a proposal that was also iffy to save money. Sure, all he had to say was he preferred to use Paypal, but all you needed to reply to that was you preferred not to delare the phones for less than their actual value. You chose to sell the item to someone else instead of carrying on the conversation with him.
I don't know enough about the ins and outs of this dispute to pass any judgement. Just think that your friendly advice about buying and selling should also include NOT sending money via wire transfer, which ebay does not recommend.  

My sentiments exactly.

The seller thinks declaring a lower value will leave him with no protection, yet it is okey to request the buyer to send money via wire transfer leaving the buyer with no protection. I see double standard there.

Jan 16, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #44 of 50
Why did you first act as if the seller was a different person (i.e, not you) and then in a later post reveal that you were the one who offered the headphones?
Although reading from those emails, I would agree that the buyer was the suspicious one in this case, with the underdeclaring request and the shipping to a different address.

But it seems more like you wanted to save on fees, which is understandable when it's concerning such a large sum, and the buyer wanted to save on tax/fees as well.

Quote:
Sounds like you shot yourself in the foot by asking the seller to do something he specifically posted in his auction that he would not do.

Quote:
To the rest of the members on here...

It's almost amusing how you manage to pick apart something or someone on a forum, with little to no information.
This auction was/is 100% legit, and I well even go ahead and ask the 2nd bidder to post a review here once he receives the HE90's

Just to prove I did not try to scam anyone, I am going to go ahead and post the actual messages that went back and forth between [size=10pt]Kiertijai and myself on eBay after the auction was complete. As you will see, I "asked" him if he would be willing to send a wire transfer. At no time did I ever demand anything, as a matter of fact, I let him know PayPal was also fine, but I would prefer a wire transfer. I see nothing wrong with wanting to save $400-500 in needless PayPal fees. [/size]

Jan 16, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #45 of 50

Quote:
Seeing this makes me want to sell mine but I like them a lot :frowning2:  

bangra, my head is pretty average size and the HE90 is the most comfortable headphone I've worn.  

Skarecrow, I have the LCD2 but it's not really on the same level as the HE90 or a number of other electrostats IMO.  Still a really good headphone though.

And mine isn't. Take a look at the HD650 and see how much the band extends in comparison to an HE90. That's the additional adjustment I need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back