HE-500 vs HE-4 | Comparison & Review
Jul 5, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #46 of 91
Actually I want to get the HE-500... but seems ppl have a special love for HE-500 vs HE-6...

Hard to decide....

Jul 5, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #47 of 91
I considered the HE-6 also but as I am happy with my amps at present I didn't want to have to buy something specifically to drive the HE-6 properly.

My WA6 drives the HE-4 very well (albeit at 3 o'clock on the pot) and with the tube set I have at present (EML Mesh/Sylvania 6SN7 bad boys) there is quite nice synergie. My Fi-Quest drives the HE-4 with ease but I don't think even that is man enough for the HE-6 as it clips at high volume when not plugged into the mains.

Jul 5, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #48 of 91
Quote:
Katun
We're all enablers with no code of restraint. That's why it's with respect and admiration I read the conclusion and wish for better. One thing about hearing the best, you know what it takes and it's within your reach in better times should you so desire. And if in your journeys you find better comparable value, you can share your findings and make Head Fi that much more interesting. Thanks for your insight on this trip.

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it.

I think I've learned more with my HE-500 setup than with anything else. Here's a headphone that is my #1 favorite paired with the perfect amp (EF5). I have nearly 50 pairs of sanitary covers I can use with them in case I want to prolong the life of the earpads. I've got 3 spare earpads, an extra grill, and multiple extra grill lock rings. I've got spare parts and pieces coming out my ears all to prolong the life of the HE-500. What more can I ask for? No really, I've got my #1 headphone, and spare parts for it all over the place. Ultimately, I've got a top notch system that will last me years. So then why on earth did I sell it? I'll be honest and say it wasn't because I was tight on budget. I could have kept it if I wanted to, but I didn't need it.

So, I spend years building up to the perfect system, and sell it after a few weeks. My perfect system with parts to spare; all gone in the blink of an eye. Not to mention, I sold my EF5 as well. But again, why?

The thing is, I've learned something. Yes, the HE-500 sounds magnificent in it's own right, but I'm finding I'm getting far more bang for my buck sticking with something like the SRH940. No, the SRH940 isn't superior, and it's not my "new favorite", but it (and many middle ground headphones) does a good chunk of what the HE-500 could do. Music is music, and it's going to come out of any headphone you put it through; just in different flavors and in varying amounts refinement. That's something we all must understand. Luckily for me, the SRH940 is really good at presenting the midrange; something I got addicted to after the HE-500, so I kinda lucked out there. So then I began to wonder why I was using a $1700 system over a $400 system, when I was perfectly satisfied with the latter. Some days, I even question why I still have the SRH940. I definitely know I could still do even better; and for less.

I'll say this right now. The HE-500 > EF5 > P650 is my favorite setup of all time. But, the FXC51 (EQ'ed) > iAudio 7 is my close second. Realistically it's my first favorite as I can take it anywhere I wish, and am not limited to just desktop listening. With my supreme satisfaction for my FXC51 (A 25 dollar IEM. I know, I don't know how that's possible), I really question myself if I'll ever get another headphone ever again. And to be honest, ever since I nailed the perfect EQ, I haven't used my SRH940 since, so even they face the axe of getting sold (I'm just holding out to compare them with the Z1000). So the question to myself is, will I continue to buy headphones? Let's just say, my Z1000 is on it's way (and unfortunately won't be here until August), and once it arrives, the SRH940 will be heading out. After, I'll give my purchase spree a rest for a very, very long time. Once I resume (assuming I will in the future when new models are introduced), I'll be chasing that "unbeatable value" or "unique and addicting presentation" long over heading straight down the road of superior sound quality.

HE-500's are the best sounding headphone I've heard, and I'll say it again and again. But I absolutely LOVE what I have now, and I figured by selling my rig, my money would be best used elsewhere.

Jul 7, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #50 of 91
HE-500's are despatched woohooo!

At this rate I will have plenty of time on my hands because I'll be divorced. The HE-4's are such a compulsive listen that I am going to bed quite late every night since getting them. I don't think I can bare to part with them even when the HE-500's arrive, I'm hoping that they will be different enough for me to justify keeping both.

Jul 7, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #51 of 91

Quote:
HE-500's are despatched woohooo!

At this rate I will have plenty of time on my hands because I'll be divorced. The HE-4's are such a compulsive listen that I am going to bed quite late every night since getting them. I don't think I can bare to part with them even when the HE-500's arrive, I'm hoping that they will be different enough for me to justify keeping both.

I hope exactly the same. If I decide to get HE-500 I will keep he-4 too if they are different enough.

Jul 7, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #54 of 91
Quote:
In "building the perfect system", I'm talking everything from headphones down to the source.

I'm doing great with my FXC51, iAudio 7, and 320kbps MP3 files. It's hard to ask for anything more.

Well it's easy to say that, wouldn't most iPod owners say they don't need anything other than iBuds. What I'm saying is have you tried a good source with the headphone and amps you've been through or has it always been the same? The biggest difference I personally found while going through an array of headphones was the source, when I heard the difference between an op-amp (DacMagic) based DAC and the DLIII I have now it was like going from cassette to CD. I used to download a lot of music but with the majority even today being 320kbps tops I would prefer to pay for a proper CD for the better sound. The difference being the dynamics of the sound, the highs and lows, something I never really heard with all my past sources.

Music isn't just music, it has a lot to do with the recording and how it's ultimately delivered to my eardrums, if it's poorly recorded I won't listen and won't support than artist. Saying "music is music" and making do with an MP3 player and MP3s is like giving up.

Jul 7, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #55 of 91
Quote:
Well it's easy to say that, wouldn't most iPod owners say they don't need anything other than iBuds. What I'm saying is have you tried a good source with the headphone and amps you've been through or has it always been the same? The biggest difference I personally found while going through an array of headphones was the source, when I heard the difference between an op-amp (DacMagic) based DAC and the DLIII I have now it was like going from cassette to CD. I used to download a lot of music but with the majority even today being 320kbps tops I would prefer to pay for a proper CD for the better sound. The difference being the dynamics of the sound, the highs and lows, something I never really heard with all my past sources.

Music isn't just music, it has a lot to do with the recording and how it's ultimately delivered to my eardrums, if it's poorly recorded I won't listen and won't support than artist. Saying "music is music" and making do with an MP3 player and MP3s is like giving up.

Well, for my main rig, I used audio CD's only. I really don't know how good the built in BurrBrown DAC is in my P650, but I figured it would do for the time being. But even with my home rig, I still am having perfect enjoyment and satisfaction out of my portable source, which uses the 320kbps MP3. Now, I'm not just saying that because I *want* to be satisfied with $25 IEMs, I really, really am. I can head to head them with any headphone (I've done it with my SRH940) and in most cases, I'll take them over the latter still. But anyway, I understand that upgrading to an even better DAC and an even better this and that would improve my listening experience, but then again, that's what everyone has been saying about all the high end headphones I've tried in the past. Yes, there is improvement, but I could definitely live without it, and my wallet would be thanking me.

Aug 12, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #56 of 91
Great review Katun.  I was interested in the hd650 but I ran across this review and others and I really want the he-500 now.  I have read that this HP is easier to drive and can be ran with a portable amp such as the E11.  If that's true I'm happy because my wife would kill me if I had to get an expensive dac and amp.   Keep up the good work Katun! Its really appreciated!
Oh... if there was a dac/amp that would be good for this HP... would these choices be good?
-Yulong D100
-Audio GD NFB-12 (I am leaning towards this dac/amp if its good enough)
-any others, I am open to suggestions.  But my price range is only about $400 for the dac/amp.  

Aug 13, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #57 of 91
Hey Katun, IIRC aren't you a little more sensitive to treble than most people? I believe I gathered this from reading some of your posts in HE-4 and Pro 900 threads. Perhaps you should make this a disclaimer in your review/comparison. But please correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, awesome write-up! Comparisons between Hifiman models are always helpful. Man, I was lusting for the HE-4...then I read this comparison... 
confused_face.gif

Forget it, the HE-500 is wayyy out of my price range so I think I'll erase reading this thread from my memory and go buy the HE-4 like I originally wanted and be happy!  
etysmile.gif

Aug 13, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #58 of 91
Quote:
Hey Katun, IIRC aren't you a little more sensitive to treble than most people? I believe I gathered this from reading some of your posts in HE-4 and Pro 900 threads. Perhaps you should make this a disclaimer in your review/comparison. But please correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, awesome write-up! Comparisons between Hifiman models are always helpful. Man, I was lusting for the HE-4...then I read this comparison... 
confused_face.gif

Forget it, the HE-500 is wayyy out of my price range so I think I'll erase reading this thread from my memory and go buy the HE-4 like I originally wanted and be happy!  
etysmile.gif

Actually, I thought that exact thing for awhile. But I've come to realize, I actually prefer brighter headphones. So I'd say I'm not as sensitive as I used to be.

But the question is, will you be happy with the HE-4? Don't get me wrong, it's wonderful, but you have that "greedy upgrade feeling" eating you alive...
tongue.gif

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #59 of 91

Quote:
Actually, I thought that exact thing for awhile. But I've come to realize, I actually prefer brighter headphones. So I'd say I'm not as sensitive as I used to be.

But the question is, will you be happy with the HE-4? Don't get me wrong, it's wonderful, but you have that "greedy upgrade feeling" eating you alive...
tongue.gif

Nah, I would only get that feeling if I actually have the funds in the first place. So that way it's at least a realistic possibility. For example, I don't have regrets of not buying the Aston Martin I've always wanted.  :p
I'm a college kid. Need to be somewhat reasonable with my headphone purchases. Half a grand for the HE-4 is really pushing it. I would have to start bringing tupperware to the dining hall for at least a whole semester! Or just steal my roommate's food, but I already do that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back