HE-500 vs HE-4 | Comparison & Review
Jun 13, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #16 of 91
Quote:
Great review Katun! Would you say the HE 500 are your favorite headphones now? =P I really have to hear it.

On the ATH PRO700MK2 thread, you said that you're keeping the Pro700mk2. Does that mean you're not keeping the HE500?

I knew someone would find that and quote me on it!
tongue.gif

MK2 has absolutely zero on the HE-500, I'm just keeping them due to their extreme "party flavor". It's the Shures that have me slightly worried. But regardless, I may have to let these go. Not only have I kinda switched back to closed (they fit my needs better and provide me with the much needed minimal noise leakage), but I really don't listen to music as much on my desktop system. I'm finding I'm talking my iAudio 7 with my MK2 or SRH940 and going else where; whether it's in my comfy chair not at my desk, outside on the patio, or elsewhere. HE-500 is kinda stuck where it is, and any headphone with a 1/4 inch jack. I still really do want to try the W1000X, and will probably get that, but I'll be on the hunt for closed headphones now. We'll see about the HE-500, I won't say I'm financial tight, but selling it would definitely help me.

Jun 13, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #17 of 91

Quote:
I knew someone would find that and quote me on it!
tongue.gif

MK2 has absolutely zero on the HE-500, I'm just keeping them due to their extreme "party flavor". It's the Shures that have me slightly worried. But regardless, I may have to let these go. Not only have I kinda switched back to closed (they fit my needs better and provide me with the much needed minimal noise leakage), but I really don't listen to music as much on my desktop system. I'm finding I'm talking my iAudio 7 with my MK2 or SRH940 and going else where; whether it's in my comfy chair not at my desk, outside on the patio, or elsewhere. HE-500 is kinda stuck where it is, and any headphone with a 1/4 inch jack. I still really do want to try the W1000X, and will probably get that, but I'll be on the hunt for closed headphones now. We'll see about the HE-500, I won't say I'm financial tight, but selling it would definitely help me.

You're not going to keep the HE 500 because it's open? That seems like a shame! They are expensive though but this review has certainly peaked my interest. I have been looking for an open ortho/dynamic headphone that could sound similar to my ATH W11R.  It seems in a way, we are going opposite directions. Open to closed. Closed to open. Speaking of the W11R, I think it would suit you
tongue.gif
The W1000X would be great too.

I might really have to order an HE 500 sometime, but I will probably upgrade my car speakers first.
tongue.gif

Jun 13, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #20 of 91
Quote:
You're not going to keep the HE 500 because it's open? That seems like a shame! They are expensive though but this review has certainly peaked my interest. I have been looking for an open ortho/dynamic headphone that could sound similar to my ATH W11R.  It seems in a way, we are going opposite directions. Open to closed. Closed to open. Speaking of the W11R, I think it would suit you
tongue.gif
The W1000X would be great too.

I might really have to order an HE 500 sometime, but I will probably upgrade my car speakers first.
tongue.gif

Well, partially. Also partly because I don't listen to music as much on my desktop as I do a portable rig in other places. And, I realize these are the best headphones I've ever heard, but I want to see if I can get most of the sound for hundreds less. I'm kinda on the search for an incredible value; not that the HE-500 isn't, but it's still a bit out of my range even though I already own it. I'm hoping the W1000X will sound almost as good (or maybe better in a different way), so I can make a few hundred bucks if I decide to sell them. We'll see, I'll probably order the W1000X tonight.

Yeah, I've been swapping around back and forth. My preferences and circumstances keep changing, so I'll change with it. Hopefully I can settle down with something soon. I'm still not sure about the SRH940, and I'm already pretty certain the MK2's will be leaving. Who knows, we may find my HE-4, HE-500, SRH940, and MK2 all in the FS forum this month. Heh, I just don't know anymore, but at least I've gained all this experience. And besides, I've already fulfilled my dreams of buying a world class headphone, so I'm okay with them leaving for something else if needs be. But I will miss them dearly.

Jun 13, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #21 of 91

Quote:
I may not have a problem trading in person, but shipping something as rare as the W11R will have me worried. I'm too afraid to even bring them outside the house. =/

Joe you will love the HE500. Very easy to drive and sounds great on my SS amp tomorrow my Decware are back but I liked what I am hearing enough to buy them which i ordered a pair. These are great

Jun 14, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #22 of 91

Quote:
Well, partially. Also partly because I don't listen to music as much on my desktop as I do a portable rig in other places. And, I realize these are the best headphones I've ever heard, but I want to see if I can get most of the sound for hundreds less. I'm kinda on the search for an incredible value; not that the HE-500 isn't, but it's still a bit out of my range even though I already own it. I'm hoping the W1000X will sound almost as good (or maybe better in a different way), so I can make a few hundred bucks if I decide to sell them. We'll see, I'll probably order the W1000X tonight.

Yeah, I've been swapping around back and forth. My preferences and circumstances keep changing, so I'll change with it. Hopefully I can settle down with something soon. I'm still not sure about the SRH940, and I'm already pretty certain the MK2's will be leaving. Who knows, we may find my HE-4, HE-500, SRH940, and MK2 all in the FS forum this month. Heh, I just don't know anymore, but at least I've gained all this experience. And besides, I've already fulfilled my dreams of buying a world class headphone, so I'm okay with them leaving for something else if needs be. But I will miss them dearly.

Hi, thought I might weigh in on the idea of the W1000x, as I am not sure if it would fulfill your requirements. It has a 1/4" jack and no adapter, and although it isolates better than open cans, the isolation is far from good. Therefore the only thing that makes it a wee bit more portable than the HE-500 is how easy it is to drive. Otherwise, the sound signature may actually be quite close to the HE-500 although I doubt the W1000x could keep up in terms of speed and detail. The W1000x also benefits from A-T comfort - I still sometimes get up and trip over the cord because I've forgotten I'm wearing headphones.

Anyway, my advice would be to keep the HE-500 at least until you have given the W1000x some good listening time. The only problem then is even if you don't like the sound of the W1000x, you may end up keeping it purely for the looks and luxury of wearing it on your head 
atsmile.gif
. Interestingly, the three headphones at the top of my "possible next purchase" list are the HE-500, HE-4 and SRH940, and your evil reviews and comments are gonna end up causing me to get all three!

Jun 14, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #23 of 91
Yeah, I started to consider that about the W1000X. In fact, I've been swaying back for a while now, and I think I've decided I won't be picking it up.

I actually ordered the Z1000 yesterday, and am quite excited for that. I actually had the Pro 900 on my list as well, in case I don't like the Z1000.

I'll definitely keep the HE-500 until my newer headphones (whatever they may be) settle in. But something about me doesn't want to stop at the HE-500. I realize I will never buy higher than that, and that is probably as good of sound as I'll ever get, but most of the fun of this hobby is trying new headphones. I'm not going to lie, it's great fun to try and find new signatures you like. And it's also fun (and quite a challenge) to find a headphone you REALLY like, that doesn't break the bank. Unfortunately, even though I really like the HE-500, I would rather stick with a headphone that is much cheaper. We'll see how the Z1000 does.

Jun 14, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #24 of 91
I'm having a lot of trouble justifying keeping my D7000 and HE 500. The HE 500 isn't going anywhere...and I love the D7000...

The hard thing here is my fiancee and I are moving to an apartment together..but we're moving into the heart of the city. So. I'll be needing a really nice portable rig because I'll be out and about much more than I am now. 

BUT...I'd like a bedside rig as well as a main one if she wants to go to bed early. I suppose my portable rig could also be my bedside, but that's just tacky! lol

Quote:
Yeah, I started to consider that about the W1000X. In fact, I've been swaying back for a while now, and I think I've decided I won't be picking it up.

I actually ordered the Z1000 yesterday, and am quite excited for that. I actually had the Pro 900 on my list as well, in case I don't like the Z1000.

I'll definitely keep the HE-500 until my newer headphones (whatever they may be) settle in. But something about me doesn't want to stop at the HE-500. I realize I will never buy higher than that, and that is probably as good of sound as I'll ever get, but most of the fun of this hobby is trying new headphones. I'm not going to lie, it's great fun to try and find new signatures you like. And it's also fun (and quite a challenge) to find a headphone you REALLY like, that doesn't break the bank. Unfortunately, even though I really like the HE-500, I would rather stick with a headphone that is much cheaper. We'll see how the Z1000 does.

Jun 14, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #25 of 91
Go back to the Pro 900 and rediscover that bass :wink:.

Jun 14, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #26 of 91
I think one of the biggest reasons for me selling the HE-500 in the very near future is so I can become content with less. In fact, I kinda already am, and the exact reason why I stated the HE-500 is in trouble when I got my SRH940. Probably one of the biggest lessons I've learned here is that I can be perfectly satisfied with something much cheaper then all the top of the line headphones I'm getting. Yeah, I will admit it's good to have a pair of D2000's, Pro 900, HD650, DT880, or some other reference set, but I really think it's almost overkill to go much beyond that. I'm find price to performance ration the absolute best in the $300ish range, and I think that is where I will stay. Not that the HE-500's aren't amazing, just that there are nearly equally amazing headphones for hundreds less. I just have to find more of them.

Jun 14, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #28 of 91
Quote:
I think one of the biggest reasons for me selling the HE-500 in the very near future is so I can become content with less. In fact, I kinda already am, and the exact reason why I stated the HE-500 is in trouble when I got my SRH940. Probably one of the biggest lessons I've learned here is that I can be perfectly satisfied with something much cheaper then all the top of the line headphones I'm getting. Yeah, I will admit it's good to have a pair of D2000's, Pro 900, HD650, DT880, or some other reference set, but I really think it's almost overkill to go much beyond that. I'm find price to performance ration the absolute best in the $300ish range, and I think that is where I will stay. Not that the HE-500's aren't amazing, just that there are nearly equally amazing headphones for hundreds less. I just have to find more of them.

Have you ever heard a Stax O2? =)  I agree that dynamic and ortho dynamic headphones don't really vary. IMHO, I actually felt all the top tier orthos and dynamics are overpriced. Their technical abilities doesn't match their price and they all sound fatiguing to me. They begin reaching the price of the Stax O2 but none of them can touch them. I actually wanted to just get my Stax O2 system and just leave Head-fi, but the wait for the amplifier is keeping me here.

Then again, the price of a good Stax O2 rig is about $3K which is probably a lot more than what you're looking for. For an end of the road headphone, I think it is worth it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back