HE-500 Review and Shoot out.
Sep 12, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #272 of 846
Quote:
while on the Norse tangent I strongly recommend that you get it terminated in mini-xlr and get the extension mini-xlr to the 1/4". I don't know for sure if I'll ever get a balanced rig but I like that if I did I just need to buy a small extension instead of a whole new cable. 

Just my two cents. The Norse cable is stunning. 

I was debating doing something similar. Does it effect sound, having extensions and adapters like this?

Sep 12, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #274 of 846
Ouch... That's a bit crap. Even with VAT it shouldn't be that much more than the US. Maybe Hifiman doesn't like Europeans?

So I've spent some more time with my HE-500's. They've had probably close to 30 hours of play and some of my earlier concerns are gone. For a start, I initially was concerned about the bass. It seemed so weak, like the entire low end was missing. I was actually kind of concerned. I don't know if it was burn-in or what, but recent listenings have had much more bass. Not over-powering, but just enough to warm things up to a more natural sound. It's still missing a bit of that real deep extension, but I'm much less concerned about it now. I imagine that will improve as time goes on.

In one of the reviews I read it mentioned the HE-500 as a great gaming headphone, because of how expansive the soundstage was and how detailed. I can verify that. I don't know if I'd say it was better than my CIEMs, but it's close. Really close.

I wish I could use these at work, but between being open and needing a desktop AMP to power, it's just not practical. Too bad, I keep wanting to listen to them more and more!

Sep 23, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #277 of 846
Quote:
Ouch... That's a bit crap. Even with VAT it shouldn't be that much more than the US. Maybe Hifiman doesn't like Europeans?

So I've spent some more time with my HE-500's. They've had probably close to 30 hours of play and some of my earlier concerns are gone. For a start, I initially was concerned about the bass. It seemed so weak, like the entire low end was missing. I was actually kind of concerned. I don't know if it was burn-in or what, but recent listenings have had much more bass. Not over-powering, but just enough to warm things up to a more natural sound. It's still missing a bit of that real deep extension, but I'm much less concerned about it now. I imagine that will improve as time goes on.

In one of the reviews I read it mentioned the HE-500 as a great gaming headphone, because of how expansive the soundstage was and how detailed. I can verify that. I don't know if I'd say it was better than my CIEMs, but it's close. Really close.

I wish I could use these at work, but between being open and needing a desktop AMP to power, it's just not practical. Too bad, I keep wanting to listen to them more and more!

The bass is really finicky. Some songs it's just monsterous and explosive, and others its really thin. But yeah, these+games=one of the best experiences ever.

Sep 23, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #278 of 846
Hi guys

I plan on purchasing the HE500 soon and I had a question regarding an amp for it.

I heard the asgard barely gives it enough power (1 watt I think) and people say it sounds a bit boring when paired with the he500. Most people recommend the lyr, but I would prefer a solid state amp since I plan in taking it to places, and I'm pretty sure the tubes would break when I put it in my backpack. Would the matrix m-stage be a better choice over the asgard? Does it barely give the he500 enough power and does it sound boring like the asgard? If so, what would be a better choice? My budget is 300-400 dollars but I'm willing to stretch it a bit.

Sep 23, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #279 of 846
Quote:
The bass is really finicky. Some songs it's just monsterous and explosive, and others its really thin. But yeah, these+games=one of the best experiences ever.

It is. However, I recently got the DAC I was hoping for (Bifrost) and that's helped fill the sound out substantially. Still a bit iffy on the bass, but it's warming up with use so I'm sure part of it is burn-in. With Jazz these things are flawless!

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #280 of 846
Quote:
Hi guys

I plan on purchasing the HE500 soon and I had a question regarding an amp for it.

I heard the asgard barely gives it enough power (1 watt I think) and people say it sounds a bit boring when paired with the he500. Most people recommend the lyr, but I would prefer a solid state amp since I plan in taking it to places, and I'm pretty sure the tubes would break when I put it in my backpack. Would the matrix m-stage be a better choice over the asgard? Does it barely give the he500 enough power and does it sound boring like the asgard? If so, what would be a better choice? My budget is 300-400 dollars but I'm willing to stretch it a bit.

Nevermind, I'll just remove the tubes for transportation. Im getting the lyr for my he500 then. Is tube rolling recommended for using the lyr with the HE500 or should just insert the tubes it comes with and leave it like that?

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #281 of 846
Nevermind, I'll just remove the tubes for transportation. Im getting the lyr for my he500 then. Is tube rolling recommended for using the lyr with the HE500 or should just insert the tubes it comes with and leave it like that?

From what I hear, the default GE tubes are some of the best all-round tubes. I went with the JJ's but am considering getting some for myself.

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #283 of 846
tubes from GE.  
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back