HE-500 Review and Shoot out.
Jan 21, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #676 of 846
Greetings all,

I would like to extend my thanks to all who have posted within this thread. I have learned much about the HE-500, so much so that I have decided finally to upgrade my setup. As much as I enjoy my current Pico Amp/Dac & HD595 combination, I have been yearning for something more lush and immersive. I figure the HE-500 should satisfy my desire.

Now, I must decide on source components. I am leaning towards the Lyr and Bifrost as they seem to garner positive reviews and appear a good match with the HE-500--plus I prefer to support American business. Should I go ahead and pick up these bad boys as well, or perhaps are there other offerings that might provide a better listening experience? I do realize the inherent subjectivity regarding my question...

As an aside, I will be using my PC with onboard sound as my source. Will the onboard sound on my Asus Deluxe P6 motherboard suffice as a proper source? The card appears to have a digital output. I could upgrade the card, but I would rather not if upgrading is not necessary.

Thanks! 

Jan 21, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #677 of 846
Quote:
Greetings all,

I would like to extend my thanks to all who have posted within this thread. I have learned much about the HE-500, so much so that I have decided finally to upgrade my setup. As much as I enjoy my current Pico Amp/Dac & HD595 combination, I have been yearning for something more lush and immersive. I figure the HE-500 should satisfy my desire.

Now, I must decide on source components. I am leaning towards the Lyr and Bifrost as they seem to garner positive reviews and appear a good match with the HE-500--plus I prefer to support American business. Should I go ahead and pick up these bad boys as well, or perhaps are there other offerings that might provide a better listening experience? I do realize the inherent subjectivity regarding my question...

As an aside, I will be using my PC with onboard sound as my source. Will the onboard sound on my Asus Deluxe P6 motherboard suffice as a proper source? The card appears to have a digital output. I could upgrade the card, but I would rather not if upgrading is not necessary.

Thanks! 

Bifrost is a standalone DAC that will bypass your PC's soundcard completely, so you needn't worry about your onboard soundcard. Just make sure that the Bifrost will be compatible (if your PC doesn't have a SPDIF output then make sure to buy the USB-Bifrost).

Jan 21, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #678 of 846
Quote:
Bifrost is a standalone DAC that will bypass your PC's soundcard completely, so you needn't worry about your onboard soundcard. Just make sure that the Bifrost will be compatible (if your PC doesn't have a SPDIF output then make sure to buy the USB-Bifrost).

Thanks for the quick reply. I have both coaxial and optical out--is one preferred over the other? Also, both S/PDIF outs are preferred over USB correct?

Jan 21, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #679 of 846
Greetings all,

Thanks! 

Try to save some more and go for the combo mjolnir and bifrost..i found the lyr a bit muddy compared to my (excellent but chinese made, so i am not going to advice this top amp to u) ,337 with the he500's.. The mjolnir is a far better amp.imho ofcourse.. Good luch with ur choice!
Oh what the heck..i know u prefer usa manufactured products..but..if u dont at least try the combo yulong d100 dac with the darkvoice 337 (with tungsols gt meshplates driver tubes and tungsols 5998 power tubes) u wont know what ur missing..try it as a reference..and u can then buy the also good pair u mentioned.
Ps..i read somewhere yulong manufacures oem insides for some higher end US brands..so in a way yulong is also usa branded :D

Jan 21, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #680 of 846
Quote:
Try to save some more and go for the combo mjolnir and bifrost..i found the lyr a bit muddy compared to my (excellent but chinese made, so i am not going to advice this top amp to u) ,337 with the he500's.. The mjolnir is a far better amp.imho ofcourse.. Good luch with ur choice!
Oh what the heck..i know u prefer usa manufactured products..but..if u dont at least try the combo yulong d100 dac with the darkvoice 337 (with tungsols gt meshplates driver tubes and tungsols 5998 power tubes) u wont know what ur missing..try it as a reference..and u can then buy the also good pair u mentioned.
Ps..i read somewhere yulong manufacures oem insides for some higher end US brands..so in a way yulong is also usa branded
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. I have nothing against non-US-made products, but being American, if I can find a good product and also support domestic business, why not? I have read the 337 and 339 are excellent choices, but I am wary of dealing with foreign companies with regard to warranty issues. I wish I could audition various combinations without significant financial investment and hassle; however, I do not know of any way locally to do so. 

Jan 21, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #681 of 846
Thanks for the reply and suggestions. I have nothing against non-US-made products, but being American, if I can find a good product and also support domestic business, why not? I have read the 337 and 339 are excellent choices, but I am wary of dealing with foreign companies with regard to warranty issues. I wish I could audition various combinations without significant financial investment and hassle; hdowever, I do not know of any way locally to do so. 

I completely understand what u mean..i am in europe and have same hestitations..until i heared this amp..i bought it on the spot from that guy...and until now never looked back..to be honest..if i was going to buy one new i would probaby get a yulong a18 sabre ( here in the netherlands there is an official distributor so u get warranty).. And he sells musical fidelity and audio gd and hifiman.and he loved my 337 and the he500 pairing..more then most his much more expensive stuff he sells. Lolz..i think i was lucky i stumbled upon a good sample.. Honesty..shiit is excellent also..yulong and shiit are arch enemies..both perfect examples of very good soundquality dont need to cost a fortune..darkvoice/lafigaro is more like a niche product..almost looks like they were made with the he500 in mind or the other way around..maybe another tip..the hifiman ef5? Another excellent amp.
This hobby can really make u stay awake..i just bought a new high quality headphone cable 2 weeks ago and am already thinking in getting a 12 wire version of it next month..oh yeah..i also have a excellent usa made double helix cables molucule headphone cable for sale with a one off sleeving called quicksilver... Pm me for price or more info if ur interested.
lolz

Jan 21, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #683 of 846
ROFL

I love my music louder than most folks.

But I really think it's the source TBH. I really want that Bifrost DAC.

Try it with a rig of a friend of urs..u must have a friend who owns audio equipment..and then compare how high he/she listens and u..if the difference is just as big as what ur saying now then maybe its time to check a doc just to be on the safe side..ur ears could be blocked by ear smear..i had that once..at a certain moment my wife told me why i was talking loudly all the time lately..so i checked doc..and my ears got flushed out..and wow.after that...as if i just got new ears.. :D
And if he is a deaf as u..or not ..then its maybe ur source..still..cant imagine that if u put ur output on ur source on max u still have to dial higher volume then 12 o'clock

Jan 22, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #685 of 846
Quote:
Thanks for playing along!  Things get pretty serious around here.  So glad we can make fun of a missed apostrophe in a contraction!!   The English language is tough for all of us!!!

Well, I don't know. I've managed to wrestle it to the ground once or trice..I mean twise..I mean twice. 
tongue.gif

I have just one question: how does someone in Southern California come up with a name like kiwirugby? I was sure you'd be from New Zealand.

Jan 22, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #686 of 846
Born in Uganda of Kiwi parents; went back to NZ as a kid then went to boarding school and universities in England; worked and lived in Paris before going to Chicago for doctoral studies; met and married a gorgeous American I met at a meeting in D.C.. who lived in southern California.  I left the bloody awful weather in Chicago as quickly as I could.  Kept my Kiwi passport but got my green card - marriage to an American helps with that!  Long circuitous route to southern California; more than you probably wanted to know, but explains how there's a Kiwi in southern California who wakes up wondering where the hell he is.....  And yes.......go All Blacks!

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #687 of 846
I'm in the same boat. Thought they were very bright out of the box (they were cold as ice from being in a cold UPS truck), but hour later they were quite warm and full sounding......Commenced to burn in around 80 hours and they sound MUCH brighter and a bit harsh. Not sure I'm liking the change. Perhaps they are just in an awkward 'inbetween' stage.  Any thoughts?  I'm using the pleathers by the way.

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #688 of 846
Quote:
I'm in the same boat. Thought they were very bright out of the box (they were cold as ice from being in a cold UPS truck), but hour later they were quite warm and full sounding......Commenced to burn in around 80 hours and they sound MUCH brighter and a bit harsh. Not sure I'm liking the change. Perhaps they are just in an awkward 'inbetween' stage.  Any thoughts?  I'm using the pleathers by the way.

Have it burn for another 80 hours and see if your perception of the sound changes again. If the brightness / harshness stays then it's likely that you prefer a dimmer treble. Pleather pads should be dark enough in the treble (velours are even brighter / harsher).

Also make sure to use a wide variety of tracks for analysis. Not all music is mastered equal.

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #689 of 846
Quote:
Have it burn for another 80 hours and see if your perception of the sound changes again. If the brightness / harshness stays then it's likely that you prefer a dimmer treble. Pleather pads should be dark enough in the treble (velours are even brighter / harsher).

Also make sure to use a wide variety of tracks for analysis. Not all music is mastered equal.

Thanks for the suggestions jerg. Comletely agree on the inequality between albums. Case in point, A Perfect Circle's first album sounds sooo hollow and thin compared to their second release. 

I spent my day off trying to remedy this problem and it turns out it was Bit Perfect's fault. While using it I always had a tickling sensation in my left ear, and the higher ranges always seemed to irritate me (although I did prefer it over stock itunes playback) . Downloaded a trial of Amarra Hifi and WOW, all the irritation is gone....really mellowed out. No idea what Bit Perfect was doing differently but I like the change. Also, just popped on the velours and I absolutely prefer them to the stock pleathers. Talk about increased soundstage...  =)

Also, thanks for the instructions earlier in the thread on how to easily change pads, sticking a credit card in there to pop the tabs in saved me A LOT of time. 

I will be trying your mod on the pleathers this weekend as I found a way to slip the pads of the plastic ring. Just remove the foam insert easily by pinching and pulling out, then slip the pleather small 'rim' of material off the plastic disk. Put it back together easily. Just need sharper blade to start cutting some holes.  Sorry for the long post, just my 2 cents.   :wink:

Feb 14, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #690 of 846
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions jerg. Comletely agree on the inequality between albums. Case in point, A Perfect Circle's first album sounds sooo hollow and thin compared to their second release. 

I spent my day off trying to remedy this problem and it turns out it was Bit Perfect's fault. While using it I always had a tickling sensation in my left ear, and the higher ranges always seemed to irritate me (although I did prefer it over stock itunes playback) . Downloaded a trial of Amarra Hifi and WOW, all the irritation is gone....really mellowed out. No idea what Bit Perfect was doing differently but I like the change. Also, just popped on the velours and I absolutely prefer them to the stock pleathers. Talk about increased soundstage...  =)

Also, thanks for the instructions earlier in the thread on how to easily change pads, sticking a credit card in there to pop the tabs in saved me A LOT of time. 

I will be trying your mod on the pleathers this weekend as I found a way to slip the pads of the plastic ring. Just remove the foam insert easily by pinching and pulling out, then slip the pleather small 'rim' of material off the plastic disk. Put it back together easily. Just need sharper blade to start cutting some holes.  Sorry for the long post, just my 2 cents.   :wink:

Well that...is pretty much the only way how one would separate the pads from the mounting plastic rings lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back