HE-500 Review and Shoot out.
Apr 13, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #31 of 846
subscribed!

WhiteCrow, please do post your impressions after you get to try the schiit+hifiman combo.

I have been planning a big upgrade and I have my eyes on HiFiMan and the Asgard. I also have the same question, which one among HE-500 or HE-5LE for hard rock/metal?

Apr 14, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #32 of 846
Okay, this is going to sound silly but I talked it through with my parents, I have 9 grand in the bank....ima do it. LYR OR BUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! also this may sound even MORE silly but TEAM NO DAC!!!!!!!!!! how ever I do have a great soundcard that no matter what I have thrown at it I can't find a fault with its sound.

Apr 14, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #33 of 846

Quote:
subscribed!

WhiteCrow, please do post your impressions after you get to try the schiit+hifiman combo.

I have been planning a big upgrade and I have my eyes on HiFiMan and the Asgard. I also have the same question, which one among HE-500 or HE-5LE for hard rock/metal?

ALSO, the Grado RS-2 are going to be my control so to speak for metal/rock.

Apr 14, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #34 of 846
I'M TRIPPLE POSTING AND NO ONE CAN STOP ME!!!!!!except a mod.
So I think I might spring and get the Bifrost for this epic trio and completely blow my ears.

Apr 14, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #35 of 846

Quote:
I'M TRIPPLE POSTING AND NO ONE CAN STOP ME!!!!!!except a mod.
So I think I might spring and get the Bifrost for this epic trio and completely blow my ears.

I have heard nothing but good things about the bifrost.  Technically it will definitely be an upgrade over your sound card.  As how much improvement you will be able to hear in the sound quality may be subjective.  Once it comes in, I wouldn't mind hearing some impressions/ comparisons of the bifrost vs your sound card. 

Apr 14, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #36 of 846
will do

also whats with the "Voltage" option for all of schiits products?sorry something this high-end for me at least I don't wana get the wrong item and just run it all.

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #37 of 846
will do

also whats with the "Voltage" option for all of schiits products?sorry something this high-end for me at least I don't wana get the wrong item and just run it all.

It's the mains supply voltage you're going to run it on. You are in the US I assume, so you'd want 110v. I'm in the uk, so I'd need 220v.

Hope that helps.

Dave

Apr 14, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #38 of 846
I push the 500s with LYR (Lorenz Tubes)/Bifrost combo.  Gobs of headroom, in the event you want to be deaf, or you can enjoy the subtle nuiances, also.  Great combo for the 500s.

Apr 15, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #39 of 846

Quote:
I push the 500s with LYR (Lorenz Tubes)/Bifrost combo.  Gobs of headroom, in the event you want to be deaf, or you can enjoy the subtle nuiances, also.  Great combo for the 500s.

I WANA BLOW MY EARDURMS OUT WITH ONE FINAL GOODBY ON MY GRADO'S!!!!!

Also I feel after these all of my other gear spare for my DT1350's for on the go are going to be sold....if my grados are beaten it will be a sad day for me indeed....but hey, I can prolly fetch the price of the bifrost sans-USB for the RS-2's heh.

Apr 15, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #40 of 846
The Little Dot I+ will drive HE-500s, it's about the cheapest I know of that will do a good job.

Apr 15, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #41 of 846
hehe my buddy has the little dot 1+ but I'm gonna shoot for the moon with the Lyr+Bifrost combo.

Apr 15, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #42 of 846
It.................is done. I hope to see shipping by Tuesday at the latest as I have ordered everything...well late Sunday but hopefully it processes and ships late Monday. Now to wait like an excited little bunny.

Apr 15, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #43 of 846
I REALLY enjoyed the HE-5LE. I liked it so much I bought the HE-500 in less than a week just to see what more there was. I miss the HE-5LE though, it's a very good headphone and I guess it was a bit lighter too.

The HE-500 doesn't have the treble extension I'd like coming from a Grado background. The HE-500 is quite lovely and it will be better for most people, but the HE-5LE bass is tighter and more sharp, mids are smooth, and the treble makes me believe I'm listening to an electrostat or something.

I have the HE-500 just because I have it instilled in my head that they're better, but I think if you can afford it, just buy both to evaluate which one works for you. The Lyr though I can vouch for is a solid piece of equipment. 

Apr 15, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #44 of 846

Quote:
I REALLY enjoyed the HE-5LE. I liked it so much I bought the HE-500 in less than a week just to see what more there was. I miss the HE-5LE though, it's a very good headphone and I guess it was a bit lighter too.

The HE-500 doesn't have the treble extension I'd like coming from a Grado background. The HE-500 is quite lovely and it will be better for most people, but the HE-5LE bass is tighter and more sharp, mids are smooth, and the treble makes me believe I'm listening to an electrostat or something.

I have the HE-500 just because I have it instilled in my head that they're better, but I think if you can afford it, just buy both to evaluate which one works for you. The Lyr though I can vouch for is a solid piece of equipment. 

Chris,

Thanks again for sharing your impressions of the two headphones.  Every now and then my silly thought process starts to tell me I "could" move to the HE-500 if I "wanted" to.  However, when I give it some thought and direct my focus elsewhere, I end up staying with the HE-5LEs.  I'm loving them every day.  Since the HE-400s are sent in as I await a replacement, I'm able to spend more time with the HE-5LEs.  Well, that and even apply a few more modifications to the T50RPs.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back