HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Mar 5, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #916 of 3,819
Quote:
seriously?
Wattage = volts * amperes

Exactly.

Kind of my point.

The difference is generally the set or variable gain option, quality of power supply, type of power supply and heat handling.

But they're the same thing.

I don't see a point in only using headamp gear for headphones.

Very best,

Mar 8, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #917 of 3,819
Quote:

I'm currently looking for a leather worker to hire, so I can have a sweet padded leather band made with brass snaps.

Very best,

I must have missed this before, but I did rough out a prototype headband pad that is fitted to the HE series headband for my HE-400:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-impressions-and-discussion-thread/7320#post_9158837

The stitching is a bit sloppy and the measurements aren't perfect (I did it all by eye, really), but other than that it's pretty functional and comfortable.  I'm currently working on a revision that is a bit more flush and evenly shaped (and will be properly measured and documented), so I'll give you an update once it's complete - work and studying have taken over most of the past few weeks.  Soon I'll be able to sit down and finish the rev.2 as well as my cable and adapter to use my new Mini-X!

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #918 of 3,819
Quote:
I must have missed this before, but I did rough out a prototype headband pad that is fitted to the HE series headband for my HE-400:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-impressions-and-discussion-thread/7320#post_9158837

The stitching is a bit sloppy and the measurements aren't perfect (I did it all by eye, really), but other than that it's pretty functional and comfortable.  I'm currently working on a revision that is a bit more flush and evenly shaped (and will be properly measured and documented), so I'll give you an update once it's complete - work and studying have taken over most of the past few weeks.  Soon I'll be able to sit down and finish the rev.2 as well as my cable and adapter to use my new Mini-X!

Interesting.

Definitely keep us updated; I'd love to see the finished revisions.

Very best,

Mar 8, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #919 of 3,819
hello fellow headfi'ers. i am new to the site and fairly new to high end audio in general. after lurking on the forums for a few weeks i decided to audition some cans at a high end audio store in my area. i listened for hours to various models from sennheiser, hifiman, grado, and beyerdynamic and something became very clear... i love the sound of planar magnetic headphones! i narrowed my choice down to hifiman he400 and he500. i loved them both but the he500 had a bit more soundstage and had slightly better overall sound quality. they were exactly what i wanted but im on a strict budget of $850 for dac, amp, and headphones.

i made my decision to hold off on purchasing until i did some more research and that is when i found this thread. this is exactly what im looking for, great sound quality without spending a fortune! after looking to see what i can get used online, i found someone selling a some lightly used he500, the emotiva mini x and the required cable with speaker taps for $875 including shipping and paypal fees.

here is my dilemma; if i buy the used items i wont have enough money to buy a dac for at least a couple of months. or i could buy the he400, emotiva mini x, and cable all new and still have money for a dac. i have no idea which is the better option and i could really use some input. keep in mind im still very new to all this and these will be my very first set of high end headphones. sorry for being so longwinded and thanks for reading...

p.s. if i decide on he400 with this setup, how sensitive is the volume control?

Mar 8, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #920 of 3,819
If you go with the HE-400 or HE-500s you don't really need the a-100.  You can then get an all in one amp/dac.  Maybe from Audio-gd.  IMO they're Butt ugly but they're said to sound pretty good with the 400s and 500s 

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB5/NFB5EN.htm

Mar 8, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #921 of 3,819
Quote:
hello fellow headfi'ers. i am new to the site and fairly new to high end audio in general. after lurking on the forums for a few weeks i decided to audition some cans at a high end audio store in my area. i listened for hours to various models from sennheiser, hifiman, grado, and beyerdynamic and something became very clear... i love the sound of planar magnetic headphones! i narrowed my choice down to hifiman he400 and he500. i loved them both but the he500 had a bit more soundstage and had slightly better overall sound quality. they were exactly what i wanted but im on a strict budget of $850 for dac, amp, and headphones.

i made my decision to hold off on purchasing until i did some more research and that is when i found this thread. this is exactly what im looking for, great sound quality without spending a fortune! after looking to see what i can get used online, i found someone selling a some lightly used he500, the emotiva mini x and the required cable with speaker taps for $875 including shipping and paypal fees.

here is my dilemma; if i buy the used items i wont have enough money to buy a dac for at least a couple of months. or i could buy the he400, emotiva mini x, and cable all new and still have money for a dac. i have no idea which is the better option and i could really use some input. keep in mind im still very new to all this and these will be my very first set of high end headphones. sorry for being so longwinded and thanks for reading...

Heya,

I would stick with the HE500, but rather, use the rest of your budget for something like the Schiit Modi & Magni setup to start.

Very best,

Mar 8, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #922 of 3,819
Quote:

Personally I would go straight for the HE-500 and get a speaker amp. A speaker amp isn't needed but it'll be more versatile. Emotiva works quite nicely. The Emotiva is a better investment than headphone amps since you can double it for planars as well as bookshelf and even some towers. Regarding money left over for DAC, if you want you can pick up a Fiio E10 for a while. I still use it occasionally and it matches it nicely. ODAC is also a good idea, depending on your budget. Although I'd worry about getting a good amp first, over the DAC. I'd take the E10 with Emotiva over a very nice DAC with a substandard amp any day.

Mar 8, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #923 of 3,819
Hey all,

I have a HE400 and pico dac/amp and I'm considering upgrading to the HE-500/tube magic/a100 combo. Would this be a substantial upgrade? I'd hate to shell out the extra cash for an upgrade of marginal difference. I'm big into female vocals I listen to most genres.

Thanks 

Mar 8, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #924 of 3,819
thanks everyone for your input, its been very helpful. it seems popular opinion is to go straight for the used he500/mini x combo. i wont be able to buy a dac right away but does the schiit modi have an optical input? id like to run my ps3 through it as well...

Mar 8, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #925 of 3,819
Quote:
thanks everyone for your input, its been very helpful. it seems popular opinion is to go straight for the used he500/mini x combo. i wont be able to buy a dac right away but does the schiit modi have an optical input? id like to run my ps3 through it as well...

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB5/NFB5EN.htm

biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #926 of 3,819
thanks again preproman, the NFB-5.32 does look like an excellent option. though if i go with that i would have to get the he400. id be over budget ($900) if i bought the he500 with this. any other suggestions/advice?

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #927 of 3,819
Buy the He-500 (used) and save up for the dac/amp. I'd recommend the Compass 2 over the 5.32 if you still want to go the audio-gd route though.
Quote:
thanks again preproman, the NFB-5.32 does look like an excellent option. though if i go with that i would have to get the he400. id be over budget ($900) if i bought the he500 with this. any other suggestions/advice?

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #928 of 3,819
Quote:

Quote:
Buy the He-500 (used) and save up for the dac/amp. I'd recommend the Compass 2 over the 5.32 if you still want to go the audio-gd route though.

TTVJ also has it on sale for $630 right now. Used can come down to the $550 range, though they sell very quickly. 

Mar 8, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #929 of 3,819
My Emotiva mini is driving my He-5le, which is sounding wonderful.
All the measure like THD, and S/N ratio, or other parameters are no longer important, when I listen to this wonderful amp, which is obviously inferior in numbers to other headphone amplifier.
What is usfulness of the engineering measures of machine?

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #930 of 3,819
thanks elwappo990 i think am going to order the he500 from ttvj. that is a great price for a new set. ive been heavily considering the audio-gd NFB-5.32 as well but on there website i noticed the NFB-11.32. at $80 cheaper than NFB-5.32 it seems to be a better buy. does anyone have experience with these two models? which is best for the he500 ? it seems like the only difference is Sabre ES9018 vs. dual WM8741; which chip is superior ?

for now i will be using my ps3 via optical out until my pc is fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back