HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Mar 12, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #946 of 3,819
Hi guys, Emotiva mini-x can drive HE-4?
I am considering to get HE-4 because of light weight and I have Emotiva mini-x.
What is the SQ in that configuration?

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #948 of 3,819
Quote:

The HE-4 are the headphones that work best when paired with a speaker amp.  HifiMAN has indicated that 2 watts of juice are needed to drive them.  When it comes to most headphone amps, one has to search long and hard to get something to produce enough power.  Plus, when one is found, it will be a lot more than $229 like the Emotiva options is, too.

I have a "like new" pair of HE-4s listed in the F/S forum.  The HE-5LE is enough for me at the moment from HifiMAN.  I drive the HE-5LE off of speaker taps, too.

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #949 of 3,819
Quote:

HE-5LE, HE-4, and the HE-6 are all good matches for the mini-X.  Buy with confidence 

Ah ... 19 seconds before me.  You're on your "A" game tonight, Darryl.  
size]

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #951 of 3,819
Quote:

Just lurking around..
biggrin.gif

Wayne,  Do you find the 5LE and the 4 are to close in Sound Sig to own both?

Yes, they are awfully close -- as far as my ears can hear.  To me, it's nearly a duplication in "like" sounds.  I did tell Matt that I thought the HE-4 was 98% of the the HE-5LE.  One can toss a few nods here and there -- either way for both phones.  But, in the end, it's still very, very close.  Have two that are so close makes little sense to me.  I think I only read your good comparison in the HE-5LE thread after I had paid for both, so it was too late to turn around at that point.

Mar 12, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #952 of 3,819
The similarity is stated in the product introduction page in Headdirect due to the SE version of HE-5le.
I am curious that SE version has really the sount signature, I think sure they have similarity as wje stated.
Technically speaking the symmetry is lost in terms of magnetic flux lines that actually drives the membrane with conductor when one pair of magnet array has been deleted.
This drives me to buy one even though I have HE-5le.

Mar 12, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #953 of 3,819
Quote:

Yes, they are awfully close -- as far as my ears can hear.  To me, it's nearly a duplication in "like" sounds.  I did tell Matt that I thought the HE-4 was 98% of the the HE-5LE.  One can toss a few nods here and there -- either way for both phones.  But, in the end, it's still very, very close.  Have two that are so close makes little sense to me.  I think I only read your good comparison in the HE-5LE thread after I had paid for both, so it was too late to turn around at that point.

My guess is that HE4 is basically HE5LE with half the magnet arrays missing.

Mar 12, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #954 of 3,819
And less weight, recently I realized that HE-400 has less head time on me due to little heavier than He-5le.
If I have He-4 then it will be great.
smile.gif

Mar 13, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #955 of 3,819
Quote:

Heya,

It's a legit 50 watt amp. It will drive any ortho/dynamic headphone that exists right now with overhead to spare. And future ones.

Very best,

Mar 13, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #956 of 3,819
Since you've been talking about cables, I just wanted to give a shout out to Bryan at Zynsonix. Excellent workmanship and superb guy to deal with. (By the way, just to be clear, I am not associated with him in any way, nor was this post 'solicited' by him. I'm just a very satisfied customer.) 

Mar 13, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #957 of 3,819
Out of curiosity, did anyone compare the Emotiva to the Burson Audio amps for use with HE-500 or LCD-2. Also how would BHA-1 pair with them.

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #958 of 3,819
Quote:
Out of curiosity, did anyone compare the Emotiva to the Burson Audio amps for use with HE-500 or LCD-2. Also how would BHA-1 pair with them.

I've got to admit, I don't think I'm really a fan of the stepped attenuation that Burson uses for the volume control on their amps.  It seems like it might be harder to get the headphone volume set to a precise level.  One might have to go into their source player and slightly adjust the level of output to focus the volume a bit.

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #959 of 3,819
Quote:

That is a tough call. I had a soloist for a good amount. To put it quickly, the soloist offered more microdetail and had a really awesome soundstage. The Emo packs in much musical sound, and really powers and controls bass. I can type out more if you're interested. 

Quote:

I've got to admit, I don't think I'm really a fan of the stepped attenuation that Burson uses for the volume control on their amps.  It seems like it might be harder to get the headphone volume set to a precise level.  One might have to go into their source player and slightly adjust the level of output to focus the volume a bit.

That stepped attenuation *shudders*

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #960 of 3,819
Quote:

That is a tough call. I had a soloist for a good amount. To put it quickly, the soloist offered more microdetail and had a really awesome soundstage. The Emo packs in much musical sound, and really powers and controls bass. I can type out more if you're interested. 

That stepped attenuation *shudders*

popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back