HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Mar 24, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #3,394 of 3,819
After actually finishing mine, I am impressed he'll make it at such a good price. I'd tend to think it is impossible to make a box in less than an hour.

Mar 27, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #3,399 of 3,819
  LCD2 with my Schiit amps - Lyr and the Mjolnir. The Burson Soloist also pairs with it very well and gives a more balanced sound although IMO, its a little laid back.

Did you find any treble roll off with the LYR? How would you characterize the sound? I appreciate the help, amp hunting is a fine art.

Mar 27, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #3,400 of 3,819
  Did you find any treble roll off with the LYR? How would you characterize the sound? I appreciate the help, amp hunting is a fine art.

To me , the pairing with Lyr gives a full bodied, rich sound. Needless to say, the bass is deep, taut and very controlled. The mids are a bit recessed and while the top end does not extend as much as the LCD-3 does, I don't find it as much as a problem. The tubes that are used in the Lyr make a difference as well. I tried a few brands and settled on the Amperex Orange Globes.

Mar 27, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #3,401 of 3,819
  To me , the pairing with Lyr gives a full bodied, rich sound. Needless to say, the bass is deep, taut and very controlled. The mids are a bit recessed and while the top end does not extend as much as the LCD-3 does, I don't find it as much as a problem. The tubes that are used in the Lyr make a difference as well. I tried a few brands and settled on the Amperex Orange Globes.

Recessed mids might be an issue, as I listen to many vocal tracks. How are vocals?

Mar 27, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #3,402 of 3,819
  Recessed mids might be an issue, as I listen to many vocal tracks. How are vocals?

This is tricky. I am fine with the vocals. They do not sound like they're coming from a well or anything of that sort. But i don't think they are clear like the HD800 for example (and I don't even know if this is a right comparison). To me vocals are not the main focus. Having said that, Olivia Newton John sounds very good (as I want to hear her) so its all good for me. There is certainly no sibilance.

Mar 27, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #3,403 of 3,819
  This is tricky. I am fine with the vocals. They do not sound like they're coming from a well or anything of that sort. But i don't think they are clear like the HD800 for example (and I don't even know if this is a right comparison). To me vocals are not the main focus. Having said that, Olivia Newton John sounds very good (as I want to hear her) so its all good for me. There is certainly no sibilance.

Last question I promise 
tongue.gif
. How are acoustical instruments?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back