HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Dec 13, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #2,656 of 3,819
  I just got my Emotiva last night and got my Switchcraft 1230 adapter hooked up (thanks, manbear). For some reason, I noticed a significant channel imbalance (right channel louder than left) for quite some time. I tried several different things before I decided to reconnect the screw connections on the 1230 adapter. After a bit more listening, it seemed that the imbalance had dissipated a bit (if not completely). Is there some reason why the amp would need to run for a bit, maybe charge all the caps, in order to have a balanced left and right output? Or was my possibly weaker connection to the left channel screw on the 1230 causing a weaker signal? The latter makes no sense to me though... EDIT: who am I kidding, neither of those options make sense to me.

My cousin has an adapter for his Macintosh that he uses for his headphones too. He said he will bring it next time he comes. It seems the problem is not as obvious after the amp has been running for a while. It's still there, just not to the extent as before. I can definitely say that the emotiva seems to have better detail than the denon but the FR seems more toward the treble region than the warm sounding denon.

Not sure how to explain it, but it seems we had the same issue.

Dec 13, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #2,658 of 3,819
Troubleshooting that I did:

1. Switched RCA cable inputs on amp - right ear speaker stays loud = not DAC
2. Switched RCA cables (the cable used for left channel is now used for the right channel on DAC and amp) - right ear speaker stays loud = not RCA cables
3. Switched left and right outputs that lead to Switchcraft adapter - left ear speaker is loud = not Switchcraft
4. Completely switched left and right cables that lead to Switchcraft (the cable used for left channel is now used for the right channel from amp to Switchcraft) - right speaker stays loud = not cables from Switchcraft

Conclusion: Amp issue

Like I said, it seems to not be an issue anymore, though I'm having a hard time trying not to hear it.

Dec 13, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #2,659 of 3,819

2. Switched RCA cables (the cable used for left channel is now used for the right channel on DAC and amp) - right ear speaker stays loud = not RCA cables
3. Switched left and right outputs that lead to Switchcraft adapter - left ear speaker is loud = not Switchcraft
4. Completely switched left and right cables that lead to Switchcraft (the cable used for left channel is now used for the right channel from amp to Switchcraft) - right speaker stays loud = not cables from Switchcraft

Like I said, it seems to not be an issue anymore, though I'm having a hard time trying not to hear it.
Yeah it's pretty much gone already for me. Really weird. But when I go to really low volume (volumes id still listen to) it's imbalanced quite a bit.

Dec 13, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #2,660 of 3,819

Did you switch anything between the amp and your headphones?

If you're an old guy don't forget to swap the headphones to the opposite ears--the ears might be the trouble :wink:

Dec 13, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #2,661 of 3,819
  Did you switch anything between the amp and your headphones?

If you're an old guy don't forget to swap the headphones to the opposite ears--the ears might be the trouble :wink:

I didn't have any other options other than the Switchcraft 1230 jack (I don't have a HFM banana plug cable) but I did switch the cables around that went to the jack and had similar findings. I also flipped the headphones around... haha

Dec 13, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #2,662 of 3,819
Yeah it's pretty much gone already for me. Really weird. But when I go to really low volume (volumes id still listen to) it's imbalanced quite a bit.

On really low volume(just start getting sound), it's normal to experience imbalance even on much more expensive speaker amps.  Don't stress too much over that as long as at regular listening volume, it's ok.
Let the amp settle down a bit.  I know you sort of took the adapter I sent you apart while trying it on your Denon.  Make sure you put everything back correctly nice and tight.

Dec 13, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #2,663 of 3,819

I once had a similar issue. I later found out it was caused by the pads. When the locking ring to the pads are bent a little bit or not perfectly flushed, you will get channel imbalance.

Dec 13, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #2,664 of 3,819
  I once had a similar issue. I later found out it was caused by the pads. When the locking ring to the pads are bent a little bit or not perfectly flushed, you will get channel imbalance.

Good to know. That doesn't seem to be the case, it seems to be a normal thing but something I didn't know about. Either way, I am still enjoying the Mini-x with it pretty much gone. The size is much smaller than I had thought, and it still looks very sleek. I love this lil thing :)

Dec 13, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #2,665 of 3,819

Good to know. That doesn't seem to be the case, it seems to be a normal thing but something I didn't know about. Either way, I am still enjoying the Mini-x with it pretty much gone. The size is much smaller than I had thought, and it still looks very sleek. I love this lil thing :)

I tried...

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #2,666 of 3,819

Everyone talks about how massive it is, I too thought it would be bigger... Well it's more than long enough lol but shorter than I assumed. Looks good :-D

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #2,667 of 3,819
Everyone talks about how massive it is, I too thought it would be bigger... Well it's more than long enough lol but shorter than I assumed. Looks good :-D

It's shorter and less wide than I had originally imagined. And the knob is a lot smaller than I had thought. It's just really nice overall haha, really dig the blue light too :)

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #2,668 of 3,819

It's shorter and less wide than I had originally imagined. And the knob is a lot smaller than I had thought. It's just really nice overall haha, really dig the blue light too :)

Men's ego destroyer statement... 
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif
eek.gif

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #2,669 of 3,819

Men's ego destroyer statement... 
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif
eek.gif

Lol I thought the same thing as I was typing it :) Was hoping no one would point it out :xf_mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back