HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Dec 14, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #2,671 of 3,819

Big thanks to koiloco who walked me through this. Finally got it done and I'm so glad to not have to deal with any speaker taps anymore. One day of that and I was already fed up 
tongue.gif

Gotta thank modulor too for that sexy cable...

Dec 14, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #2,674 of 3,819
  Mine is the 10' version. 
biggrin.gif

Lmao.  More like 5.
Anyway, glad I could help in anyway. It's fun, isn't it?  Now pass on the modded Mini-X torch.

Dec 14, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #2,675 of 3,819
This amp is to easy to play with, that's for sure. I may end up adding a resistor network on the inside, but I would have to completely re-do the whole cabling (which was actually done by my buddy yaboin). It looks super legit on the inside though.

Dec 14, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #2,676 of 3,819
  This amp is to easy to play with, that's for sure. I may end up adding a resistor network on the inside, but I would have to completely re-do the whole cabling (which was actually done by my buddy yaboin). It looks super legit on the inside though.

I have gone through quite a few 2 channel speaker amps back in my home theater days.  All I can say is that, for $169, the inside build quality and overall components are quite good and well thought out for the money.  

Dec 14, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #2,678 of 3,819
  At $169 shipped, this is an incredible value. Even if I'm only using it with the HE-4's for the time being.

Entirely looking at material costs, I wonder if we are being charged at a much higher markup for headphone amps compared to speaker amps. Headphone amps are soo much smaller.

Dec 14, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #2,679 of 3,819

Entirely looking at material costs, I wonder if we are being charged at a much higher markup for headphone amps compared to speaker amps. Headphone amps are soo much smaller.

Yeah, Emotiva is able to take advantage of economies of scale, unlike most headphone amp makers. However, in recent light of things, there has been an excessive mark up in headphone amps. Thankfully though, DACs are starting to come down a bit thanks to increased competition.

Dec 14, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #2,680 of 3,819

Hugeeeeeeeeeee markup but as long as we are willing to pay for it, manufacturers will keep charging the same $ and some more.  Let's just call it R&D cost, shall we?  
wink.gif

Dec 14, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #2,681 of 3,819
  Hugeeeeeeeeeee markup but as long as we are willing to pay for it, manufacturers will keep charging the same $ and some more.  Let's just call it R&D cost, shall we?  
wink.gif

DIY ftw! Heck, screw kits even. Just download schematics and find the parts yourself. I feel electrical engineers have a better time getting the most out of their money in this hobby.

Dec 14, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #2,682 of 3,819
Hmm I wonder where the point of the cost of this hobby outweighing the cost of getting a EE degree and just building everything yourself is.
tongue.gif

Dec 14, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #2,683 of 3,819
Unless you're already experienced at DIY and have all the relevant equipment and tools and spare parts, DIY does not save money. Try not to choke when you start looking up the costs for nice casework.

Dec 14, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #2,684 of 3,819
  Unless you're already experienced at DIY and have all the relevant equipment and tools and spare parts, DIY does not save money. Try not to choke when you start looking up the costs for nice casework.

Maybe not comparable to highest end and it's probably harder/pricier for certain gear over others, but so far the two Bottlehead projects (Crack, Quickie) has exceed expectations compared to finished products of comparable price. To say DIY does not save money is far from the truth. I can see wasting money on experimenting with new designs, or accidentally blowing things up, but for something well guided and tried and true like the Bottlehead kits, it's a great way to get great sound for a fraction of the price.

Dec 14, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #2,685 of 3,819
  As promised, I have decided to keep the Emotiva so here it is with 1/4 plug.  No more banana plugs for now.  
size]

Beautiful and Brilliant  - "Thinking Inside the Box!"

The Mini X a-100 is wired with a common ground, correct? So, you simply joined the L- and R- at the TRS sleeve?

If you have any pictures of how/where you ran the wires inside the case, please post them.

You used Mogami W2534 wire. I wonder if shielded wire is needed?

What TRS did you use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back